Mouse problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Julie Bove, Jul 14, 2011.

  1. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    I just replaced my mouse. Threw the old one out and it is gone. The old
    one appeared visibly worn and it seemed to be double clicking on me when I
    only wanted to single click. For instance when I tried to reply to NGs it
    was giving me blank posts. So like...it was clicking on "Reply Group" and
    then "Send". Also when I was trying to delete e-mail it would rapidly
    delete a lot of things in a row and I would have to then go back into my
    deleted stuff and maybe retrieve a few things. This was a Dell Optical
    mouse.

    So I got some cute little mouse and pad set at the computer store. Made in
    China and I don't know the brand. I like the looks and the feel of the
    mouse but... About once or twice a day my cursor just freezes on my screen.
    At the same time the red optical light is going out. However the scroll
    wheel on the top of the mouse lights up in blue and it is still lit up.

    I found this problem listed on a forum online and the others who are having
    this problem have not been able to solve it. They swapped it out with a
    different mouse, some even with the old style ball mouse. But it still
    happened. It does not appear that the computer is losing power. The clock
    still works and I can use the keyboard.

    This mouse is USB. Others who has this problem said they tried using a
    different USB port and even switched to a PS2 mouse but that didn't help.

    I do not have a new mouse to try. I have ordered one online and it should
    come in a few days. I will look for another one while I am out but I don't
    want to get one at the computer store. They didn't seem to have many other
    options. They are in the middle of a remodel and may get more in when that
    is done. And a quick check of the stores around here online indicated that
    they do not have any mice in stock. Just available to ship.

    So... Does anyone have any suggestions? The problem does seem to be with
    the mouse. Because this wasn't happening with the old mouse and it started
    happening when I hooked up the new one. Meanwhile while I am out and about
    if I see a cheap for sale somewhere, I will buy it and swap it out and see
    if that helps. I just don't happen to have a spare mouse around.

    Thanks!
    Julie Bove, Jul 14, 2011

  2. Julie Bove embroidered on the monitor :
    > I just replaced my mouse. Threw the old one out and it is gone. The old one
    > appeared visibly worn and it seemed to be double clicking on me when I only
    > wanted to single click. For instance when I tried to reply to NGs it was
    > giving me blank posts. So like...it was clicking on "Reply Group" and then
    > "Send". Also when I was trying to delete e-mail it would rapidly delete a
    > lot of things in a row and I would have to then go back into my deleted stuff
    > and maybe retrieve a few things. This was a Dell Optical mouse.
    >
    > So I got some cute little mouse and pad set at the computer store. Made in
    > China and I don't know the brand. I like the looks and the feel of the mouse
    > but... About once or twice a day my cursor just freezes on my screen. At the
    > same time the red optical light is going out. However the scroll wheel on
    > the top of the mouse lights up in blue and it is still lit up.
    >
    > I found this problem listed on a forum online and the others who are having
    > this problem have not been able to solve it. They swapped it out with a
    > different mouse, some even with the old style ball mouse. But it still
    > happened. It does not appear that the computer is losing power. The clock
    > still works and I can use the keyboard.
    >
    > This mouse is USB. Others who has this problem said they tried using a
    > different USB port and even switched to a PS2 mouse but that didn't help.
    >
    > I do not have a new mouse to try. I have ordered one online and it should
    > come in a few days. I will look for another one while I am out but I don't
    > want to get one at the computer store. They didn't seem to have many other
    > options. They are in the middle of a remodel and may get more in when that
    > is done. And a quick check of the stores around here online indicated that
    > they do not have any mice in stock. Just available to ship.
    >
    > So... Does anyone have any suggestions? The problem does seem to be with
    > the mouse. Because this wasn't happening with the old mouse and it started
    > happening when I hooked up the new one. Meanwhile while I am out and about
    > if I see a cheap for sale somewhere, I will buy it and swap it out and see if
    > that helps. I just don't happen to have a spare mouse around.
    >
    > Thanks!

    You got the right idea to look for another mouse. I don't know about
    where you're at, but around here a $1 store has them, along with
    several other discount chains.

    Don't remember what OS you're using, but you should be able to check
    and adjust the mouse settings in Control Panel.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    James D Andrews, Jul 14, 2011

  3. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > Julie Bove embroidered on the monitor :
    >> I just replaced my mouse. Threw the old one out and it is gone. The old
    >> one appeared visibly worn and it seemed to be double clicking on me when
    >> I only wanted to single click. For instance when I tried to reply to NGs
    >> it was giving me blank posts. So like...it was clicking on "Reply Group"
    >> and then "Send". Also when I was trying to delete e-mail it would
    >> rapidly delete a lot of things in a row and I would have to then go back
    >> into my deleted stuff and maybe retrieve a few things. This was a Dell
    >> Optical mouse.
    >>
    >> So I got some cute little mouse and pad set at the computer store. Made
    >> in China and I don't know the brand. I like the looks and the feel of
    >> the mouse but... About once or twice a day my cursor just freezes on my
    >> screen. At the same time the red optical light is going out. However
    >> the scroll wheel on the top of the mouse lights up in blue and it is
    >> still lit up.
    >>
    >> I found this problem listed on a forum online and the others who are
    >> having this problem have not been able to solve it. They swapped it out
    >> with a different mouse, some even with the old style ball mouse. But it
    >> still happened. It does not appear that the computer is losing power.
    >> The clock still works and I can use the keyboard.
    >>
    >> This mouse is USB. Others who has this problem said they tried using a
    >> different USB port and even switched to a PS2 mouse but that didn't help.
    >>
    >> I do not have a new mouse to try. I have ordered one online and it
    >> should come in a few days. I will look for another one while I am out
    >> but I don't want to get one at the computer store. They didn't seem to
    >> have many other options. They are in the middle of a remodel and may get
    >> more in when that is done. And a quick check of the stores around here
    >> online indicated that they do not have any mice in stock. Just available
    >> to ship.
    >>
    >> So... Does anyone have any suggestions? The problem does seem to be
    >> with the mouse. Because this wasn't happening with the old mouse and it
    >> started happening when I hooked up the new one. Meanwhile while I am out
    >> and about if I see a cheap for sale somewhere, I will buy it and swap it
    >> out and see if that helps. I just don't happen to have a spare mouse
    >> around.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > You got the right idea to look for another mouse. I don't know about
    > where you're at, but around here a $1 store has them, along with several
    > other discount chains.
    >
    > Don't remember what OS you're using, but you should be able to check and
    > adjust the mouse settings in Control Panel.

    I know how to adjust the settings. That isn't the problem. I checked at
    Target, Walmart, Staples and Office Depot. Only Staples showed one mouse
    available in the store and it was low stock. The only dollar store around
    here is mainly a party store and I don't think they have them. I am going
    to the drugstore. I know some do carry some computer things. Will see if
    they have them.

    OS in WinXP.

    I should also add that rebooting solves the problem, but... That's a pain
    to have to keep doing that, especially if I am in the middle of something
    important.
    Julie Bove, Jul 15, 2011
  4. Julie Bove

    Paul Guest

    Julie Bove wrote:
    > I just replaced my mouse. Threw the old one out and it is gone. The old
    > one appeared visibly worn and it seemed to be double clicking on me when I
    > only wanted to single click. For instance when I tried to reply to NGs it
    > was giving me blank posts. So like...it was clicking on "Reply Group" and
    > then "Send". Also when I was trying to delete e-mail it would rapidly
    > delete a lot of things in a row and I would have to then go back into my
    > deleted stuff and maybe retrieve a few things. This was a Dell Optical
    > mouse.
    >
    > So I got some cute little mouse and pad set at the computer store. Made in
    > China and I don't know the brand. I like the looks and the feel of the
    > mouse but... About once or twice a day my cursor just freezes on my screen.
    > At the same time the red optical light is going out. However the scroll
    > wheel on the top of the mouse lights up in blue and it is still lit up.
    >
    > I found this problem listed on a forum online and the others who are having
    > this problem have not been able to solve it. They swapped it out with a
    > different mouse, some even with the old style ball mouse. But it still
    > happened. It does not appear that the computer is losing power. The clock
    > still works and I can use the keyboard.
    >
    > This mouse is USB. Others who has this problem said they tried using a
    > different USB port and even switched to a PS2 mouse but that didn't help.
    >
    > I do not have a new mouse to try. I have ordered one online and it should
    > come in a few days. I will look for another one while I am out but I don't
    > want to get one at the computer store. They didn't seem to have many other
    > options. They are in the middle of a remodel and may get more in when that
    > is done. And a quick check of the stores around here online indicated that
    > they do not have any mice in stock. Just available to ship.
    >
    > So... Does anyone have any suggestions? The problem does seem to be with
    > the mouse. Because this wasn't happening with the old mouse and it started
    > happening when I hooked up the new one. Meanwhile while I am out and about
    > if I see a cheap for sale somewhere, I will buy it and swap it out and see
    > if that helps. I just don't happen to have a spare mouse around.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Did the product come with a CD, and did you install anything from the CD ?

    For the most part, mice and keyboards have some sort of Plug and Play,
    and standard OS "HID" or Human Interface Device drivers are loaded
    automatically. You can even have multiple keyboards and mice connected
    at the same time.

    Some products, may have more than the normal number of buttons,
    and in the case of Microsoft, you'd have their "Intellipoint" software
    to support extra functions. But such a mouse should also do a
    few basic things, even without adding software.

    To test mouse hardware, I'd switch to another OS. On the minus side,
    Linux doesn't always do a good job of getting all the mouse buttons
    to work, but at least the cursor should move around the screen
    properly. You could also use an older version of Windows to test,
    but that might be even harder to set up. (My current computer has
    two Windows OSes, one per disk drive, for alternation purposes. If
    it doesn't work in WinXP, I try a copy of Win2K instead.)

    If I go into Device Manager (Start : Run : devmgmt.msc), then
    look for Mice and Pointing Devices, then "HID-compliant mouse",
    doing a properties there and checking the drivers shows these
    for my USB mouse

    mouclass.sys
    mouhid.sys

    Those are drivers provided with the OS, and install automatically
    when the mouse is connected. I don't think I've even installed
    any software for my keyboards or mice, just what the OS provides
    automatically.

    Under the "Power Management" tab, "Allow the computer to turn off
    this device..." is greyed out and can't be selected, meaning the
    mouse should always be powered. Otherwise, glitchy performance
    could be blamed on changing power states on the mouse.

    *******

    When I want a mouse, I go to the local Staples. Compared to the
    other big box stores down the road from Staples, they still have
    mice on display, so you can touch them and get some idea
    how comfortable they are. The last four mice purchased
    were Logitech brand.

    Not everything Logitech makes is wonderful, but they're the
    next best choice other than the ton of Microsoft products
    on the same display shelf.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 15, 2011
  5. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Julie Bove wrote:
    >> I just replaced my mouse. Threw the old one out and it is gone. The old
    >> one appeared visibly worn and it seemed to be double clicking on me when
    >> I only wanted to single click. For instance when I tried to reply to NGs
    >> it was giving me blank posts. So like...it was clicking on "Reply Group"
    >> and then "Send". Also when I was trying to delete e-mail it would
    >> rapidly delete a lot of things in a row and I would have to then go back
    >> into my deleted stuff and maybe retrieve a few things. This was a Dell
    >> Optical mouse.
    >>
    >> So I got some cute little mouse and pad set at the computer store. Made
    >> in China and I don't know the brand. I like the looks and the feel of
    >> the mouse but... About once or twice a day my cursor just freezes on my
    >> screen. At the same time the red optical light is going out. However
    >> the scroll wheel on the top of the mouse lights up in blue and it is
    >> still lit up.
    >>
    >> I found this problem listed on a forum online and the others who are
    >> having this problem have not been able to solve it. They swapped it out
    >> with a different mouse, some even with the old style ball mouse. But it
    >> still happened. It does not appear that the computer is losing power.
    >> The clock still works and I can use the keyboard.
    >>
    >> This mouse is USB. Others who has this problem said they tried using a
    >> different USB port and even switched to a PS2 mouse but that didn't help.
    >>
    >> I do not have a new mouse to try. I have ordered one online and it
    >> should come in a few days. I will look for another one while I am out
    >> but I don't want to get one at the computer store. They didn't seem to
    >> have many other options. They are in the middle of a remodel and may get
    >> more in when that is done. And a quick check of the stores around here
    >> online indicated that they do not have any mice in stock. Just available
    >> to ship.
    >>
    >> So... Does anyone have any suggestions? The problem does seem to be
    >> with the mouse. Because this wasn't happening with the old mouse and it
    >> started happening when I hooked up the new one. Meanwhile while I am out
    >> and about if I see a cheap for sale somewhere, I will buy it and swap it
    >> out and see if that helps. I just don't happen to have a spare mouse
    >> around.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Did the product come with a CD, and did you install anything from the CD ?

    Nope. No CD.

    > For the most part, mice and keyboards have some sort of Plug and Play,
    > and standard OS "HID" or Human Interface Device drivers are loaded
    > automatically. You can even have multiple keyboards and mice connected
    > at the same time.

    Yes. Now my keyboard did come with a CD but I didn't seem to need it. I
    just plugged it in and it worked.

    > Some products, may have more than the normal number of buttons,
    > and in the case of Microsoft, you'd have their "Intellipoint" software
    > to support extra functions. But such a mouse should also do a
    > few basic things, even without adding software.
    >
    > To test mouse hardware, I'd switch to another OS. On the minus side,
    > Linux doesn't always do a good job of getting all the mouse buttons
    > to work, but at least the cursor should move around the screen
    > properly. You could also use an older version of Windows to test,
    > but that might be even harder to set up. (My current computer has
    > two Windows OSes, one per disk drive, for alternation purposes. If
    > it doesn't work in WinXP, I try a copy of Win2K instead.)

    I don't have another OS.

    > If I go into Device Manager (Start : Run : devmgmt.msc), then
    > look for Mice and Pointing Devices, then "HID-compliant mouse",
    > doing a properties there and checking the drivers shows these
    > for my USB mouse
    >
    > mouclass.sys
    > mouhid.sys
    >
    > Those are drivers provided with the OS, and install automatically
    > when the mouse is connected. I don't think I've even installed
    > any software for my keyboards or mice, just what the OS provides
    > automatically.
    >
    > Under the "Power Management" tab, "Allow the computer to turn off
    > this device..." is greyed out and can't be selected, meaning the
    > mouse should always be powered. Otherwise, glitchy performance
    > could be blamed on changing power states on the mouse.
    >
    > *******
    >
    > When I want a mouse, I go to the local Staples. Compared to the
    > other big box stores down the road from Staples, they still have
    > mice on display, so you can touch them and get some idea
    > how comfortable they are. The last four mice purchased
    > were Logitech brand.

    I didn't see any listed as available in that store but online it did say
    there was one. I'm going out now so maybe I will stop in there.

    > Not everything Logitech makes is wonderful, but they're the
    > next best choice other than the ton of Microsoft products
    > on the same display shelf.

    Most of my mice have been that brand. Thanks!
    Julie Bove, Jul 15, 2011
  6. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "me again" <> wrote in message
    > Julie Bove wrote:
    >> So... Does anyone have any suggestions? The problem does seem to be
    >> with
    >> the mouse. Because this wasn't happening with the old mouse and it
    >> started
    >> happening when I hooked up the new one. Meanwhile while I am out and
    >> about
    >> if I see a cheap for sale somewhere, I will buy it and swap it out and
    >> see
    >> if that helps. I just don't happen to have a spare mouse around.

    > If you are running Windows XP or win 7
    > unplug the mouse, listen for a 'plonk' then plug
    > it in again and you should hear a 'plink' (more or less).
    >
    > Unplugging a USB device "disables" it and repluggin it in restarts it.

    That didn't help. I'm thinking it was a bad mouse. No problems with the
    new one so far.
    Julie Bove, Jul 16, 2011