    Bev
    --
    The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
    Bev, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Bev

    °Mike° Guest

    So what's your problem, exactly?

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:51:02 +1200, in
    <>
    Bev scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004

  3. °Mike° <> wrote in

    > So what's your problem, exactly?

    The problem is I want the mouse to turn off when the computer does dickweed.

    Sonnsa Beechis, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Bev

    °Mike° Guest

    On 11 Jun 2004 20:56:57 GMT, in
    <Xns9505AC7641FA1raex@130.133.1.4>
    Sonnsa Beechis scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in
    >
    >> So what's your problem, exactly?
    >>

    >The problem is I want the mouse to turn off when the computer does dickweed.

    How does a computer do dickweed?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004
  5. °Mike° <> wrote in

    > How does a computer do dickweed?

    With its teeth dumbshit.
    Sonnsa Beechis, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Bev

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Sonnsa Beechis wrote:
    > °Mike° <> wrote in
    >

    >> How does a computer do dickweed?
    >>

    > With its teeth dumbshit.

    Okay - this is going nowhere <g>

    What *kind* of mouse is it? How do you know it is *on*?

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  7. Bev

    °Mike° Guest

    On 12 Jun 2004 00:00:08 GMT, in
    <Xns9505CB856DF0Draex@130.133.1.4>
    Sonnsa Beechis scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in
    >

    >> How does a computer do dickweed?
    >>

    >With its teeth dumbshit.

    What's "teeth dumbshit"?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Bev

    Bev Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Sonnsa Beechis wrote:
    > > °Mike° <> wrote in
    > >

    > >> How does a computer do dickweed?
    > >>

    > > With its teeth dumbshit.

    > Okay - this is going nowhere <g>
    >
    > What *kind* of mouse is it? How do you know it is *on*?
    >
    > --
    > Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    It is a microsoft optical mouse that lights up with a red light on the
    end and underneath when the computer is on. Normally the lights go off
    when I turn off the computer. I'm sorry if people found this confusing.

    Bev
    --
    The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
    Bev, Jun 12, 2004
  9. Bev

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Bev wrote:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> What *kind* of mouse is it? How do you know it is *on*?
    >>

    > It is a microsoft optical mouse that lights up with a red light on the
    > end and underneath when the computer is on. Normally the lights go
    > off when I turn off the computer. I'm sorry if people found this
    > confusing.
    >
    > Bev

    Okay - that explains it. Most newer computers, when turned off via the
    "shutdown" command, still have a small power circuit on. There's a good
    reason for this: without that power, you can't turn it back on (the power
    switch sends a signal, not actually turning power on or off). So, that power
    also goes to the keyboard and mouse. Why? Because some system allow
    themselves to be turned back on by a mouse movement/click or keyboard
    key-combination. So the power on the mouse is normal. Okay with that so far?
    So you have two choices: turn off the computer, then kill the AC at the
    switch/wall socket, or ignore it.

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  10. °Mike° <> wrote in news:40ce49d0.24423609
    @localhost.dot.net:

    > On 12 Jun 2004 00:00:08 GMT, in
    > <Xns9505CB856DF0Draex@130.133.1.4>
    > Sonnsa Beechis scrawled:
    >
    >>°Mike° <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> How does a computer do dickweed?
    >>>

    >>With its teeth dumbshit.

    > What's "teeth dumbshit"?

    Its an acronym for that pitiful mass of useless material between your ears.
    Sonnsa Beechis, Jun 12, 2004
  11. Bev

    Bev Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Bev wrote:
    > >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    > >>
    > >> What *kind* of mouse is it? How do you know it is *on*?
    > >>

    > > It is a microsoft optical mouse that lights up with a red light on the
    > > end and underneath when the computer is on. Normally the lights go
    > > off when I turn off the computer. I'm sorry if people found this
    > > confusing.
    > >
    > > Bev

    > Okay - that explains it. Most newer computers, when turned off via the
    > "shutdown" command, still have a small power circuit on. There's a good
    > reason for this: without that power, you can't turn it back on (the power
    > switch sends a signal, not actually turning power on or off). So, that power
    > also goes to the keyboard and mouse. Why? Because some system allow
    > themselves to be turned back on by a mouse movement/click or keyboard
    > key-combination. So the power on the mouse is normal. Okay with that so far?
    > So you have two choices: turn off the computer, then kill the AC at the
    > switch/wall socket, or ignore it.
    >
    > --
    > Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    Thanks Tim, but this doesn't explain it. I got my computer in 1998 so
    I guess it is older. The mouse is about six months old as I replaced
    the old one. It turned off with the computer until I had some work
    done on the Unit last week (I can't ask the man who did the work as he
    is away). When I got the computer back they gave me a Motherboard disc
    and a booklet labelled SystemBoard socket A - Yes, I realise I can turn
    the computer off at the socket or ignore the mouse light - it's no big
    deal, but I would like to get rid of it. It may be that the mouse is
    on stand-by caused by some setting changes which would account for the
    light being on but I can't find the area in the control panel to check
    it, hence my query.

    Bev
    --
    The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
    Bev, Jun 12, 2004
  12. Bev

    °Mike° Guest

    On 12 Jun 2004 03:36:53 GMT, in
    <Xns9505F0442F06Araex@130.133.1.4>
    Sonnsa Beechis scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in news:40ce49d0.24423609
    >@localhost.dot.net:
    >
    >> On 12 Jun 2004 00:00:08 GMT, in
    >> <Xns9505CB856DF0Draex@130.133.1.4>
    >> Sonnsa Beechis scrawled:
    >>
    >>>°Mike° <> wrote in

    >>>With its teeth dumbshit.

    >> What's "teeth dumbshit"?
    >>

    >Its

    "It's"

    > an acronym for that pitiful mass of useless material between your ears.

    Boy, who's the dumbshit dickweed now? Since you don't
    comprehend the meaning of "acronym", I'll educate you:

    http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/acronym
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=795&dict=CALD
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=acronym
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=acronym
    http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=acronym
    http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/acronym.html
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi-bin/phrase.pl?keyword=acronym

    You see, if you read it often enough, you may yet come
    to understand it's meaning .... that's a "maybe".

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004
  13. Bev

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Bev wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:

    >>> It is a microsoft optical mouse that lights up with a red light on
    >>> the end and underneath when the computer is on. Normally the
    >>> lights go off when I turn off the computer. I'm sorry if people
    >>> found this confusing.
    >>>
    >>> Bev

    >> Okay - that explains it. Most newer computers, when turned off via
    >> the "shutdown" command, still have a small power circuit on. There's
    >> a good reason for this: without that power, you can't turn it back
    >> on (the power switch sends a signal, not actually turning power on
    >> or off). So, that power also goes to the keyboard and mouse. Why?
    >> Because some system allow themselves to be turned back on by a mouse
    >> movement/click or keyboard key-combination. So the power on the
    >> mouse is normal. Okay with that so far? So you have two choices:
    >> turn off the computer, then kill the AC at the switch/wall socket,
    >> or ignore it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    > Thanks Tim, but this doesn't explain it. I got my computer in 1998
    > so I guess it is older. The mouse is about six months old as I
    > replaced the old one. It turned off with the computer until I had
    > some work done on the Unit last week (I can't ask the man who did the
    > work as he is away). When I got the computer back they gave me a
    > Motherboard disc and a booklet labelled SystemBoard socket A - Yes, I
    > realise I can turn the computer off at the socket or ignore the mouse
    > light - it's no big deal, but I would like to get rid of it. It may
    > be that the mouse is on stand-by caused by some setting changes which
    > would account for the light being on but I can't find the area in the
    > control panel to check it, hence my query.
    >
    > Bev

    If they gave you a motherboad disc, and a book about the system board, you
    now have a fancy, schmancy *new* up to contemporary standards motherboard
    that supports the power system the same as I described before. There
    probably *isn't* any way to shut that off. If you did, you couldn't turn
    your computer on by pressing the power button. Your OLD motherboard did NOT
    keep the power on, the new one does.

    You won't find any such thing as "standby" or "on/off" settings for a mouse
    in your OS.

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  14. Sonnsa Beechis wrote:

    > The problem is I want the mouse to turn off when the computer does dickweed.

    Computers shouldn't do dickweed. They may get busted, and they their
    offspring will probably be lizards.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 12, 2004
  15. > Boy, who's the dumbshit dickweed now? Since you don't
    > comprehend the meaning of "acronym", I'll educate you:
    >
    > http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/acronym
    > http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=795&dict=CALD
    > http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=acronym
    > http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=acronym
    > http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=acronym
    > http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/acronym.html
    > http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi-bin/phrase.pl?keyword=acr
    > onym
    >
    > You see, if you read it often enough, you may yet come
    > to understand it's meaning .... that's a "maybe".

    Glad I can provide some substance to your otherwise vapid existence. I would
    respond in kind, but my attention at this time needs to be directed to saving
    mankind and keeping the world free for democracy. I doubt if you had the smarts
    to perceive the obvious, but my name says it all. You were the only fish ignorant
    enough to bother responding. Duh.
    Sonnsa Beechis, Jun 12, 2004
  16. Bev

    °Mike° Guest

    On 12 Jun 2004 14:46:20 GMT, in
    <Xns95066D9F57A80raex@130.133.1.4>
    Sonnsa Beechis scrawled:

    <snip>

    >You were the only fish ignorant enough to bother responding. Duh.

    You're showing your retardedness again; YOU responded
    to me, witless wonder.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004
  17. Bev

    Bev Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Bev wrote:
    > > Toolman Tim wrote:

    > >> Okay - that explains it. Most newer computers, when turned off via
    > >> the "shutdown" command, still have a small power circuit on. There's
    > >> a good reason for this: without that power, you can't turn it back
    > >> on (the power switch sends a signal, not actually turning power on
    > >> or off). So, that power also goes to the keyboard and mouse. Why?
    > >> Because some system allow themselves to be turned back on by a mouse
    > >> movement/click or keyboard key-combination. So the power on the
    > >> mouse is normal. Okay with that so far? So you have two choices:
    > >> turn off the computer, then kill the AC at the switch/wall socket,
    > >> or ignore it.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    > > Thanks Tim, but this doesn't explain it. I got my computer in 1998
    > > so I guess it is older. The mouse is about six months old as I
    > > replaced the old one. It turned off with the computer until I had
    > > some work done on the Unit last week (I can't ask the man who did the
    > > work as he is away). When I got the computer back they gave me a
    > > Motherboard disc and a booklet labelled SystemBoard socket A - Yes, I
    > > realise I can turn the computer off at the socket or ignore the mouse
    > > light - it's no big deal, but I would like to get rid of it. It may
    > > be that the mouse is on stand-by caused by some setting changes which
    > > would account for the light being on but I can't find the area in the
    > > control panel to check it, hence my query.
    > >
    > > Bev

    > If they gave you a motherboad disc, and a book about the system board, you
    > now have a fancy, schmancy *new* up to contemporary standards motherboard
    > that supports the power system the same as I described before. There
    > probably *isn't* any way to shut that off. If you did, you couldn't turn
    > your computer on by pressing the power button. Your OLD motherboard did NOT
    > keep the power on, the new one does.
    >
    > You won't find any such thing as "standby" or "on/off" settings for a mouse
    > in your OS.
    >
    > --
    > Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    Good explanation Tim, thanks. Guess I am going to have to live with a
    constantly glowing mouse or scrabble around the back of the computer to
    turn it off :) Hmmmmmmmm, perhaps I should eventually see if they have
    cordless mice.

    Bev
    --
    The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
    Bev, Jun 12, 2004
  18. Bev

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Bev wrote:

    >>> If they gave you a motherboad disc, and a book about the system
    >>> board, you now have a fancy, schmancy *new* up to contemporary
    >>> standards motherboard that supports the power system the same as I
    >>> described before. There probably *isn't* any way to shut that off.
    >>> If you did, you couldn't turn your computer on by pressing the
    >>> power button. Your OLD motherboard did NOT keep the power on, the
    >>> new one does.
    >>>
    >>> You won't find any such thing as "standby" or "on/off" settings for
    >>> a mouse in your OS.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    >> Good explanation Tim, thanks. Guess I am going to have to live with
    >> a constantly glowing mouse or scrabble around the back of the
    >> computer to turn it off :) Hmmmmmmmm, perhaps I should eventually
    >> see if they have cordless mice.
    >>
    >> Bev
    >> --
    >> The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

    The cordless mice are nice, but the one's I've seen have the same problem.
    Although one of them (Logitech, I think) had a power switch to save the
    batteries.

    BTW, please put a space after the two dashes in your signature line - it's
    "broken".

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 13, 2004