Mouse Problem - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by popgunradio@gmail.com, Feb 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    For the first time ever I am truly stumped with a hardware problem.
    Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated.

    My Computer:

    Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop w/ Windows XP SP2
    40 gig / 512mb / Pentium 4

    The Problem:
    My left mouse button is acting eratically. For a while it was acting
    as though clicklock was on. I would double click and it would
    highlight and I would have to triple click to use the mouse normally.
    Also simply moving the mouse would cause it to grab and highlight
    everything. Now it is doing a combination of this and clicking all by
    itself. I can be reading a web page and not touching the mouse and the
    pointer will begin clicking all by itself.

    The Mouse:
    Synaptics Touchpad

    What I Know:
    I know it's not a hardware issue. It's something software related. The
    first two times this happened (Nov. and Dec.) I ultimately fixed the
    problem by going back a few days with Windows System Restore. The last
    three weeks it has happened again and this doesn't solve the problem
    anymore. It currently does it about 80% of the time.

    What I've Tried:
    - Re-installed the mouse driver (got drivers from two different
    sources) and both updated to a newer driver and completely uninstalled
    and re-installed it.
    - Did Windows System Restore
    - Disassembled and cleaned laptop. Cleaned thoroughly around mouse and
    under buttons.
    - The computer is free of adware/spyware/viruses. I update and run
    Spybot / AdAware / SpywareBlaster almost daily. I also update and use
    AVG anti-virus.
    - Run Chkdisk and Defrag

    Again, this problem happens about 80% of the time but not all of the
    time. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall Windows XP. I haven't
    done it because I don't think it would solve the problem and SP2 is
    newer than the disk I have. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in
    advance!
    , Feb 6, 2007

  2. BuckRabbit Guest

    All I can offer is my own experience of a very similar mouse problem I am currently experiencing as well.

    At first I thought it was the mouse, then the keyboard, but I have renewed both so it ain't them.

    A computer tech mate of mine surmises that it is likely to be a motherboard problem which can only be fixed with a new mobo.

    My mouse triggers links off about 75mm to the right of and about 10mm below the mouse pointer regardless of where it is on screen
    except if I keep it strictly on the far right hand side of the screen. Sometimes the pointer will disappear from where I have it
    and reappear at the top of the screen. Ocassionally it slowly just starts marching off toward the left for no reason. Sometimes
    very frustrating and as soon as I can afford a system upgrade it will be dealt with.

    Cheers
    Buck

    BuckRabbit, Feb 6, 2007

  3. Sjouke Burry Guest

    wrote:
    > For the first time ever I am truly stumped with a hardware problem.
    > Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > My Computer:
    >
    > Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop w/ Windows XP SP2
    > 40 gig / 512mb / Pentium 4
    >
    > The Problem:
    > My left mouse button is acting eratically. For a while it was acting
    > as though clicklock was on. I would double click and it would
    > highlight and I would have to triple click to use the mouse normally.
    > Also simply moving the mouse would cause it to grab and highlight
    > everything. Now it is doing a combination of this and clicking all by
    > itself. I can be reading a web page and not touching the mouse and the
    > pointer will begin clicking all by itself.
    >
    > The Mouse:
    > Synaptics Touchpad
    >
    > What I Know:
    > I know it's not a hardware issue. It's something software related. The
    > first two times this happened (Nov. and Dec.) I ultimately fixed the
    > problem by going back a few days with Windows System Restore. The last
    > three weeks it has happened again and this doesn't solve the problem
    > anymore. It currently does it about 80% of the time.
    >
    > What I've Tried:
    > - Re-installed the mouse driver (got drivers from two different
    > sources) and both updated to a newer driver and completely uninstalled
    > and re-installed it.
    > - Did Windows System Restore
    > - Disassembled and cleaned laptop. Cleaned thoroughly around mouse and
    > under buttons.
    > - The computer is free of adware/spyware/viruses. I update and run
    > Spybot / AdAware / SpywareBlaster almost daily. I also update and use
    > AVG anti-virus.
    > - Run Chkdisk and Defrag
    >
    > Again, this problem happens about 80% of the time but not all of the
    > time. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall Windows XP. I haven't
    > done it because I don't think it would solve the problem and SP2 is
    > newer than the disk I have. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in
    > advance!

    Does your mousepad need calibrating? I have seen
    these pads do some strange things when they get older.
    It sounds as if the pad is making intermitting contact,
    and when it does that, the comp thinks you are tapping it.
    Or have you had a cellphone nearby lately?
    Try switching the pad off and plug a normal mouse
    in for a while.
    If that works oke, it should point at a failing pad.
    Sjouke Burry, Feb 6, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Feb 6, 5:25 am, Sjouke Burry <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > For the first time ever I am truly stumped with a hardware problem.
    > > Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated.

    > > My Computer:

    > > Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop w/ Windows XP SP2
    > > 40 gig / 512mb / Pentium 4

    > > The Problem:
    > > My left mouse button is acting eratically. For a while it was acting
    > > as though clicklock was on. I would double click and it would
    > > highlight and I would have to triple click to use the mouse normally.
    > > Also simply moving the mouse would cause it to grab and highlight
    > > everything. Now it is doing a combination of this and clicking all by
    > > itself. I can be reading a web page and not touching the mouse and the
    > > pointer will begin clicking all by itself.

    > > The Mouse:
    > > Synaptics Touchpad

    > > What I Know:
    > > I know it's not a hardware issue. It's something software related. The
    > > first two times this happened (Nov. and Dec.) I ultimately fixed the
    > > problem by going back a few days with Windows System Restore. The last
    > > three weeks it has happened again and this doesn't solve the problem
    > > anymore. It currently does it about 80% of the time.

    > > What I've Tried:
    > > - Re-installed the mouse driver (got drivers from two different
    > > sources) and both updated to a newer driver and completely uninstalled
    > > and re-installed it.
    > > - Did Windows System Restore
    > > - Disassembled and cleaned laptop. Cleaned thoroughly around mouse and
    > > under buttons.
    > > - The computer is free of adware/spyware/viruses. I update and run
    > > Spybot / AdAware / SpywareBlaster almost daily. I also update and use
    > > AVG anti-virus.
    > > - Run Chkdisk and Defrag

    > > Again, this problem happens about 80% of the time but not all of the
    > > time. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall Windows XP. I haven't
    > > done it because I don't think it would solve the problem and SP2 is
    > > newer than the disk I have. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in
    > > advance!

    > Does your mousepad need calibrating? I have seen
    > these pads do some strange things when they get older.
    > It sounds as if the pad is making intermitting contact,
    > and when it does that, the comp thinks you are tapping it.
    > Or have you had a cellphone nearby lately?
    > Try switching the pad off and plug a normal mouse
    > in for a while.
    > If that works oke, it should point at a failing pad.

    I have tried installing a usb mouse (the only input available) and it
    seems to have an issue with the current mouse. It will work but on a
    delay making it near impossible to use.

    Keep in mind, the issue is only with my left mouse button, not the
    touchpad itself. The pointer goes where it should and is calibrated.
    The problem I have is with the left mouse button 'clicking' all by
    itself. Just typing this response, I have to make sure the pointer is
    sitting to the right of the line I'm typing or else it will grab my
    cursor and move it elsewhere.
    , Feb 6, 2007
  5. Mr. Arnold Guest

    wrote:

    <snipped>

    Let me ask you this, have you tried cleaning the mouse's balls?

    Sometimes, the mouse needs its balls cleaned.
    Mr. Arnold, Feb 6, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Feb 6, 2:13 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > <snipped>
    >
    > Let me ask you this, have you tried cleaning the mouse's balls?
    >
    > Sometimes, the mouse needs its balls cleaned.

    There is no "real" mouse. There are two mouse buttons and a touchpad.
    , Feb 6, 2007
  7. Mr. Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 6, 2:13 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >><snipped>
    >>
    >>Let me ask you this, have you tried cleaning the mouse's balls?
    >>
    >>Sometimes, the mouse needs its balls cleaned.

    > There is no "real" mouse. There are two mouse buttons and a touchpad.

    But sometimes, you got to clean the mouse's balls to make the mouse feel
    good and make it work right, because the mouse is rolling its balls on
    the touch pad. The mouse's balls can get dirty that way and the mouse
    won't work right, until the mouse's balls are cleaned to make it feel good.
    Mr. Arnold, Feb 6, 2007
  8. Guest

    On Feb 6, 5:53 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Feb 6, 2:13 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:

    > >> wrote:

    > >><snipped>

    > >>Let me ask you this, have you tried cleaning the mouse's balls?

    > >>Sometimes, the mouse needs its balls cleaned.

    > > There is no "real" mouse. There are two mouse buttons and a touchpad.

    > But sometimes, you got to clean the mouse's balls to make the mouse feel
    > good and make it work right, because the mouse is rolling its balls on
    > the touch pad. The mouse's balls can get dirty that way and the mouse
    > won't work right, until the mouse's balls are cleaned to make it feel good.- Hide quoted text -

    I'm going to assume at this point that you are trying to be funny. If
    not I apologize but there are no "balls" like a traditional mouse. It
    is a touch pad. On top of that the problem is not with the movement of
    the touchpad but with the left mouse button.
    , Feb 6, 2007
  9. Fred Guest

    Reply below.
    <> wrote in message
    > For the first time ever I am truly stumped with a hardware problem.
    > Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > My Computer:
    >
    > Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop w/ Windows XP SP2
    > 40 gig / 512mb / Pentium 4
    >
    > The Problem:
    > My left mouse button is acting eratically. For a while it was acting
    > as though clicklock was on. I would double click and it would
    > highlight and I would have to triple click to use the mouse normally.
    > Also simply moving the mouse would cause it to grab and highlight
    > everything. Now it is doing a combination of this and clicking all by
    > itself. I can be reading a web page and not touching the mouse and the
    > pointer will begin clicking all by itself.
    >
    > The Mouse:
    > Synaptics Touchpad
    >
    > What I Know:
    > I know it's not a hardware issue. It's something software related. The
    > first two times this happened (Nov. and Dec.) I ultimately fixed the
    > problem by going back a few days with Windows System Restore. The last
    > three weeks it has happened again and this doesn't solve the problem
    > anymore. It currently does it about 80% of the time.
    >
    > What I've Tried:
    > - Re-installed the mouse driver (got drivers from two different
    > sources) and both updated to a newer driver and completely uninstalled
    > and re-installed it.
    > - Did Windows System Restore
    > - Disassembled and cleaned laptop. Cleaned thoroughly around mouse and
    > under buttons.
    > - The computer is free of adware/spyware/viruses. I update and run
    > Spybot / AdAware / SpywareBlaster almost daily. I also update and use
    > AVG anti-virus.
    > - Run Chkdisk and Defrag
    >
    > Again, this problem happens about 80% of the time but not all of the
    > time. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall Windows XP. I haven't
    > done it because I don't think it would solve the problem and SP2 is
    > newer than the disk I have. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in
    > advance!

    Go into device manager and uninstall the touchpad (probably listed as an HID
    and thne reinstall to see if thisd helps. You can also go into setup when
    you boot and change the settings so the touchpad is not active and thne try
    the USB mouse to seee if it is a hardware or software problem.

    Have you spilled amything on the touchpad area?
    Fred, Feb 7, 2007
  10. Guest

    On Feb 6, 7:17 pm, "Fred" <> wrote:
    > Reply below.<> wrote in message

    > > For the first time ever I am truly stumped with a hardware problem.
    > > Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated.

    > > My Computer:

    > > Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop w/ Windows XP SP2
    > > 40 gig / 512mb / Pentium 4

    > > The Problem:
    > > My left mouse button is acting eratically. For a while it was acting
    > > as though clicklock was on. I would double click and it would
    > > highlight and I would have to triple click to use the mouse normally.
    > > Also simply moving the mouse would cause it to grab and highlight
    > > everything. Now it is doing a combination of this and clicking all by
    > > itself. I can be reading a web page and not touching the mouse and the
    > > pointer will begin clicking all by itself.

    > > The Mouse:
    > > Synaptics Touchpad

    > > What I Know:
    > > I know it's not a hardware issue. It's something software related. The
    > > first two times this happened (Nov. and Dec.) I ultimately fixed the
    > > problem by going back a few days with Windows System Restore. The last
    > > three weeks it has happened again and this doesn't solve the problem
    > > anymore. It currently does it about 80% of the time.

    > > What I've Tried:
    > > - Re-installed the mouse driver (got drivers from two different
    > > sources) and both updated to a newer driver and completely uninstalled
    > > and re-installed it.
    > > - Did Windows System Restore
    > > - Disassembled and cleaned laptop. Cleaned thoroughly around mouse and
    > > under buttons.
    > > - The computer is free of adware/spyware/viruses. I update and run
    > > Spybot / AdAware / SpywareBlaster almost daily. I also update and use
    > > AVG anti-virus.
    > > - Run Chkdisk and Defrag

    > > Again, this problem happens about 80% of the time but not all of the
    > > time. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall Windows XP. I haven't
    > > done it because I don't think it would solve the problem and SP2 is
    > > newer than the disk I have. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in
    > > advance!

    > Go into device manager and uninstall the touchpad (probably listed as an HID
    > and thne reinstall to see if thisd helps. You can also go into setup when
    > you boot and change the settings so the touchpad is not active and thne try
    > the USB mouse to seee if it is a hardware or software problem.
    >
    > Have you spilled amything on the touchpad area?

    I have uninstalled the touchpad mouse and my USB mouse seems to be
    working fine. So what does this mean? Why would the button click all
    by itself?

    I have not spilled anything on or around the touchpad buttons and as I
    said before, I even disassembled the laptop and thoroughly cleaned in
    and around the buttons.
    , Feb 7, 2007
  11. Guest

    On Feb 6, 8:06 pm, wrote:
    > On Feb 6, 7:17 pm, "Fred" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Reply below.<> wrote in message

    > > > For the first time ever I am truly stumped with a hardware problem.
    > > > Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated.

    > > > My Computer:

    > > > Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop w/ Windows XP SP2
    > > > 40 gig / 512mb / Pentium 4

    > > > The Problem:
    > > > My left mouse button is acting eratically. For a while it was acting
    > > > as though clicklock was on. I would double click and it would
    > > > highlight and I would have to triple click to use the mouse normally.
    > > > Also simply moving the mouse would cause it to grab and highlight
    > > > everything. Now it is doing a combination of this and clicking all by
    > > > itself. I can be reading a web page and not touching the mouse and the
    > > > pointer will begin clicking all by itself.

    > > > The Mouse:
    > > > Synaptics Touchpad

    > > > What I Know:
    > > > I know it's not a hardware issue. It's something software related. The
    > > > first two times this happened (Nov. and Dec.) I ultimately fixed the
    > > > problem by going back a few days with Windows System Restore. The last
    > > > three weeks it has happened again and this doesn't solve the problem
    > > > anymore. It currently does it about 80% of the time.

    > > > What I've Tried:
    > > > - Re-installed the mouse driver (got drivers from two different
    > > > sources) and both updated to a newer driver and completely uninstalled
    > > > and re-installed it.
    > > > - Did Windows System Restore
    > > > - Disassembled and cleaned laptop. Cleaned thoroughly around mouse and
    > > > under buttons.
    > > > - The computer is free of adware/spyware/viruses. I update and run
    > > > Spybot / AdAware / SpywareBlaster almost daily. I also update and use
    > > > AVG anti-virus.
    > > > - Run Chkdisk and Defrag

    > > > Again, this problem happens about 80% of the time but not all of the
    > > > time. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall Windows XP. I haven't
    > > > done it because I don't think it would solve the problem and SP2 is
    > > > newer than the disk I have. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in
    > > > advance!

    > > Go into device manager and uninstall the touchpad (probably listed as an HID
    > > and thne reinstall to see if thisd helps. You can also go into setup when
    > > you boot and change the settings so the touchpad is not active and thne try
    > > the USB mouse to seee if it is a hardware or software problem.

    > > Have you spilled amything on the touchpad area?

    > I have uninstalled the touchpad mouse and my USB mouse seems to be
    > working fine. So what does this mean? Why would the button click all
    > by itself?
    >
    > I have not spilled anything on or around the touchpad buttons and as I
    > said before, I even disassembled the laptop and thoroughly cleaned in
    > and around the buttons.- Hide quoted text -

    It's still acting up. It seems like a conflict of some sort. Here is
    what's running:

    CIDAEMON.EXE
    taskmgr.exe
    svchost.exe