    When the computer will go through the same routine and the mouse
    will then freeze.

    Thank You for Your Help.

    Squiffy, Oct 28, 2006

  2. Squiffy

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 15:18:48 +0100, Squiffy
    <9.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi
    >Can anyone help me.when I switch on my computer it boots up
    >then a blue page appears with the words Starting up Windows
    >then another page with those on the computer.
    >
    >At this time it is still loading,then it just stops and the mouse
    >freezes, all I can do then is press the restart button.
    >
    >When the computer will go through the same routine and the mouse
    >will then freeze.

    Ummm... try a different mouse?

    Try without the mouse?

    Evan Platt, Oct 28, 2006

  3. Squiffy wrote:

    > Hi
    > Can anyone help me.when I switch on my computer it boots up
    > then a blue page appears with the words Starting up Windows
    > then another page with those on the computer.

    "Those on the computer" ... you mean the welcome screen?

    > At this time it is still loading,then it just stops and the mouse
    > freezes, all I can do then is press the restart button.

    You can't tell if the mouse freezes or never woke up, as it will/should
    become visible or active first time on the welcome screen. Or ... can you
    move the mouse just one tick or moment and *then* it freezes?
    Now, what happens when you press the tab key or ctrl-alt-del? Does the
    computer do "something" then?

    > When the computer will go through the same routine and the mouse
    > will then freeze.

    You may try to start up in "safe mode" by pressing the F8 key (maybe a few
    times) just before the "starting up windows" appears. You'll see a text
    menu.
    You may as well select "last known good ..." from there, if you suspect
    something you installed - deliberately or not - the last time it booted
    normally, could have caused the malfunction.

    P.S.: everything here done with a newly polished crystal ball that told me
    you are using XP ...

    Walter Mautner, Oct 29, 2006
  4. Squiffy

    Squiffy Guest

    >> Hi
    >> Can anyone help me.when I switch on my computer it boots up
    >> then a blue page appears with the words Starting up Windows
    >> then another page with those on the computer.
    >>

    >"Those on the computer" ... you mean the welcome screen?

    Yes the welcome screen

    >> At this time it is still loading,then it just stops and the mouse
    >> freezes, all I can do then is press the restart button.
    >>

    >You can't tell if the mouse freezes or never woke up, as it will/should
    >become visible or active first time on the welcome screen.

    On the welcome screen I can move the mouse while the orange light
    on the computer tower is still flashing on and of, but then before the
    computer has finished loading it will stop and the mouse will freeze.

    >Now, what happens when you press the tab key or ctrl-alt-del? Does the
    >computer do "something" then?

    No nothing happens, I have to press the restart button.

    >> When the computer will go through the same routine and the mouse
    >> will then freeze.

    For the last three days I have left the computer on stand by so that I can
    still use it.

    >You may try to start up in "safe mode" by pressing the F8 key (maybe a few
    >times) just before the "starting up windows" appears. You'll see a text
    >menu.
    >You may as well select "last known good ..." from there, if you suspect
    >something you installed - deliberately or not - the last time it booted
    >normally, could have caused the malfunction.
    >
    >P.S.: everything here done with a newly polished crystal ball that told me
    >you are using XP ...

    Yes I am using Windows XP with sp2.

    Squiffy, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Squiffy

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Walter Mautner.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Well, if I completely unplug the mouse there will be no cursor at all.

    <unable to speak through uncontrollable laughter>

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Oct 29, 2006
  6. Ponder wrote:

    > Hiya Walter Mautner.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> Well, if I completely unplug the mouse there will be no cursor at all.

    > <unable to speak through uncontrollable laughter>

    Damn. I have a lot of 2k desktops, and unplugging the mouse before starting
    up the machine does not show any mouse cursor at all. Same with a few XP
    boxen, as I remember.
    Indeed, if it's unplugged later, the mouse just "freezes".

    Walter Mautner, Oct 29, 2006
  7. Demon Lord of Confusion wrote:

    >> Well, if I completely unplug the mouse there will be no cursor at all.

    > If that's true for you, then you need to kill the con artist who sold
    > you your computer. He ripped you off big-time. Prison's too good for
    > 'im.

    You'd rather be a hedge lawyer. Of course I meant "no _mouse_ cursor". Text
    cursors are still there.

    Walter Mautner, Oct 31, 2006
  8. Squiffy

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:13:48 +0100, Walter Mautner Has Frothed:

    > Demon Lord of Confusion wrote:
    >
    >>> Well, if I completely unplug the mouse there will be no cursor at all.

    >> If that's true for you, then you need to kill the con artist who sold
    >> you your computer. He ripped you off big-time. Prison's too good for
    >> 'im.
    >>

    > You'd rather be a hedge lawyer. Of course I meant "no _mouse_ cursor".
    > Text cursors are still there.

    The mouse cursor is still there if you boot without a mouse.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Oct 31, 2006
  9. Squiffy

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Meat Plow.

    In <news:p-meatplow.local> you wrote:

    >> You'd rather be a hedge lawyer. Of course I meant "no _mouse_ cursor".
    >> Text cursors are still there.

    > The mouse cursor is still there if you boot without a mouse.

    Yup, you can even move it using the keyboard.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Oct 31, 2006