mouse pointer drift on vista

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by deno, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. deno

    deno Guest

    I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the
    touch pad mouse does/did. I disabled that.

    I've heard that this can be due to fluctuations in humidity, and
    that there is little that can be done about it. I did find an
    updated driver, but that didn't help, and I don't find much of
    anything useful in the way of web searching.

    I at least have the illusion that this laptop and its mouse
    pointer behave better in a dry air conditioned car, or in the
    house, as in taking it out of the humidity. I say illusion
    because sometimes it behaves in either case, but most of the time
    it doesn't, either air conditioned or not.

    Anyone know of a solution? And before you say it, yes, I have
    thought of eliminating Vista.

    deno
     
    deno, Aug 24, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. deno

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "deno" <> wrote in message
    news:46cf1f58$0$4706$...
    >I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the touch pad
    >mouse does/did. I disabled that.
    >
    > I've heard that this can be due to fluctuations in humidity, and that
    > there is little that can be done about it. I did find an updated driver,
    > but that didn't help, and I don't find much of anything useful in the way
    > of web searching.
    >
    > I at least have the illusion that this laptop and its mouse pointer behave
    > better in a dry air conditioned car, or in the house, as in taking it out
    > of the humidity. I say illusion because sometimes it behaves in either
    > case, but most of the time it doesn't, either air conditioned or not.
    >
    > Anyone know of a solution? And before you say it, yes, I have thought of
    > eliminating Vista.
    >


    Never seen it. Not in any PC, laptop, or any version of Windows I'v used. My
    mouse pointers stay exactly where I leave them when I let go of the mouse.
    Or is that not what you're yakking about?
     
    WhzzKdd, Aug 24, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. deno

    deno Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "deno" <> wrote in message
    > news:46cf1f58$0$4706$...
    >> I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the touch pad
    >> mouse does/did. I disabled that.
    >>
    >> I've heard that this can be due to fluctuations in humidity, and that
    >> there is little that can be done about it. I did find an updated driver,
    >> but that didn't help, and I don't find much of anything useful in the way
    >> of web searching.
    >>
    >> I at least have the illusion that this laptop and its mouse pointer behave
    >> better in a dry air conditioned car, or in the house, as in taking it out
    >> of the humidity. I say illusion because sometimes it behaves in either
    >> case, but most of the time it doesn't, either air conditioned or not.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of a solution? And before you say it, yes, I have thought of
    >> eliminating Vista.
    >>

    >
    > Never seen it. Not in any PC, laptop, or any version of Windows I'v used. My
    > mouse pointers stay exactly where I leave them when I let go of the mouse.
    > Or is that not what you're yakking about?
    >
    >


    Yes, I'm yakking about when I let go of the mouse, the pointer
    always drifts until it reaches the edge of the screen.
     
    deno, Aug 24, 2007
    #3
  4. deno

    GJ Guest

    My Toshiba laptop does this too. It settles down after a few seconds
    though.. I've been wondering also why this happens. The humidity explanation
    would apply to me if that is the cause. It does get humid in my neck of the
    woods.
     
    GJ, Aug 24, 2007
    #4
  5. deno

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "GJ" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My Toshiba laptop does this too. It settles down after a few seconds
    > though.. I've been wondering also why this happens. The humidity
    > explanation would apply to me if that is the cause. It does get humid in
    > my neck of the woods.
    >


    I am using the mouse pad, but most of the time I am using an USB wireless
    mouse on Vista on an HP laptop with no such problems, with either one of
    them.
     
    Mr. Arnold, Aug 24, 2007
    #5
  6. deno

    deno Guest

    deno wrote:
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "deno" <> wrote in message
    >> news:46cf1f58$0$4706$...
    >>> I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the
    >>> touch pad mouse does/did. I disabled that.
    >>>
    >>> I've heard that this can be due to fluctuations in humidity, and that
    >>> there is little that can be done about it. I did find an updated
    >>> driver, but that didn't help, and I don't find much of anything
    >>> useful in the way of web searching.
    >>>
    >>> I at least have the illusion that this laptop and its mouse pointer
    >>> behave better in a dry air conditioned car, or in the house, as in
    >>> taking it out of the humidity. I say illusion because sometimes it
    >>> behaves in either case, but most of the time it doesn't, either air
    >>> conditioned or not.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know of a solution? And before you say it, yes, I have thought
    >>> of eliminating Vista.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Never seen it. Not in any PC, laptop, or any version of Windows I'v
    >> used. My mouse pointers stay exactly where I leave them when I let go
    >> of the mouse. Or is that not what you're yakking about?
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Yes, I'm yakking about when I let go of the mouse, the pointer always
    > drifts until it reaches the edge of the screen.


    and I probably should have added it's an optical usb mouse.
     
    deno, Aug 24, 2007
    #6
  7. deno

    Plato Guest

    deno wrote:
    >
    > I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the
    > touch pad mouse does/did. I disabled that.


    Try a different mouse. Same thing?




















    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
     
    Plato, Aug 25, 2007
    #7
  8. deno

    Ryka Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    news:46cf6f3d$0$98921$...
    > deno wrote:
    >>
    >> I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the
    >> touch pad mouse does/did. I disabled that.

    >
    > Try a different mouse. Same thing?
    >




    I have the same problem with Vista. I have the wireless mouse and keyboard
    with a desktop. Even when I have my hand on the mouse the pointer will
    suddenly dart to the side of the screen! I then changed the keyboard and
    mouse to the ones that came with my computer - and the same thing happened.
    So, it's not the wireless features. Have no idea why it does it - will go
    days without acting erratic and then for a day or so it will dart away. Have
    read in the M$ ngs that other have the problem too but I haven't read of a
    solution yet. Any ideas?
     
    Ryka, Aug 25, 2007
    #8
  9. deno

    Guest

    "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote:

    >I have the same problem with Vista. I have the wireless mouse and keyboard
    >with a desktop. Even when I have my hand on the mouse the pointer will
    >suddenly dart to the side of the screen! I then changed the keyboard and
    >mouse to the ones that came with my computer - and the same thing happened.


    I guess it's a feature now. This happens to a lot of people under XP
    using an optical mouse.

    XP tho darts to the left then down (or up) to the start menu.

    I've watched it do this lots :) - thinking about it, it hasn't
    happened since I bought a new mouse.
    --

    Guy picked the wrong night to take up streaking
    http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_235083033.html
     
    , Aug 25, 2007
    #9
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. unholy
    Replies:
    37
    Views:
    6,006
    CRAZIE_GUY
    Sep 17, 2006
  2. Brian H¹©

    Re: Mouse Pointer

    Brian H¹©, Jul 6, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    915
    Juan Pérez
    Jul 8, 2003
  3. °Mike°

    Re: Mouse Pointer

    °Mike°, Jul 6, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    534
    °Mike°
    Jul 6, 2003
  4. Shep©

    Re: Mouse Pointer

    Shep©, Jul 7, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    578
    Shep©
    Jul 7, 2003
  5. liquidstool
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    613
    Tony Sperling
    Jun 26, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page