    OE6 with all updates
    IE 7 with all updates.

    I have several very annoying problems that I hope some one can help me with.

    #1- I get perhaps 15 to 20 emails per day, many of which I forward to
    others. My normal practice is to remove all traces of past recipients
    forward the email and delete the one that was sent to me. After I perform
    this operation with a few emails (usually about 3 or 4) I can no longer
    delete any emails. I then close OE and reopen it and go through the same
    thing all over again.

    #2- Some times when I double click an email (or a program shortcut in
    windows) the machine freezes up. As a matter of fact the last time it
    happened the cursor actually disappeared. It's happened so often that I've
    actually mounted an in line switch in a convenient spot so that I can turn
    the computer off and on to reboot which is the only way I can proceed.

    #3- I originally put several check book registries onto a single spreadsheet
    program which I created with MS Works. I later decided to split them up into
    separate programs by copy and pasting them into new spreadsheets. This
    worked fine for a time but then a time came that every time I opened a
    spreadsheet to update it I would get a message that another program was open
    with the same name and any I made would not be able to be saved. After much
    experimenting I found that if I first compressed the file before opening it
    every thing would work ok.

    Problem # 3 I can live with but #1 & #2 are a real hassle as it takes a
    good 5 minutes for me to reboot each time. If any of you guru's can help I
    would very much appreciate it and when it happens 2 or 3 times (or more) a
    day it really drives me crazy.

    If no one has any answers perhaps one of you could tell me if I can
    reinstall OE from the restore disc over the existing OE without losing my
    saved emails.

    Many thanks in advance for any help any of you can provide.

    Nutzel

    nutzel, Jan 30, 2008

  2. nutzel wrote:

    > I have :
    > XP2 with all the updates.
    > OE6 with all updates
    > IE 7 with all updates.
    >
    > I have several very annoying problems that I hope some one can help me
    > with.
    >
    > #1- I get perhaps 15 to 20 emails per day, many of which I forward to
    > others. My normal practice is to remove all traces of past recipients
    > forward the email and delete the one that was sent to me. After I perform
    > this operation with a few emails (usually about 3 or 4) I can no longer
    > delete any emails. I then close OE and reopen it and go through the same
    > thing all over again.

    Mails with big attachments, maybe?
    You may try to compress your e-mail database from within outbug^H^H^Hlook
    express. Ever thought about migrating to thunderbird (it will import your
    OE emails upon install)?

    > #2- Some times when I double click an email (or a program shortcut in
    > windows) the machine freezes up. As a matter of fact the last time it
    > happened the cursor actually disappeared. It's happened so often that I've
    > actually mounted an in line switch in a convenient spot so that I can turn
    > the computer off and on to reboot which is the only way I can proceed.

    No reaction to ctrl-alt-del?
    Looks like some hardware failure ... maybe a bad spot in ram, a power supply
    or onboard voltage regulator/capacitor issue. When was the last time you
    opened the case and cleaned the fan and heatsink?
    Can you see something in event viewer after such a crash?
    Google and download memtest86, it will fit on a bootable floppy. Let it run
    overnight.

    > #3- I originally put several check book registries onto a single
    > #spreadsheet
    > program which I created with MS Works. I later decided to split them up
    > into separate programs by copy and pasting them into new spreadsheets.
    > This worked fine for a time but then a time came that every time I opened
    > a spreadsheet to update it I would get a message that another program was
    > open with the same name and any I made would not be able to be saved.
    > After much experimenting I found that if I first compressed the file
    > before opening it every thing would work ok.

    Not that I know much about works, but the files it produces are a pain to
    import in a standard application. Openoffice would be worth a try, it can
    be setup to produce standard *.doc and *.xls files which are well
    recognized by standard MS office.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 30, 2008

  3. nutzel

    nutzel Guest

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > nutzel wrote:
    >
    >> I have :
    >> XP2 with all the updates.
    >> OE6 with all updates
    >> IE 7 with all updates.
    >>
    >> I have several very annoying problems that I hope some one can help me
    >> with.
    >>
    >> #1- I get perhaps 15 to 20 emails per day, many of which I forward to
    >> others. My normal practice is to remove all traces of past recipients
    >> forward the email and delete the one that was sent to me. After I perform
    >> this operation with a few emails (usually about 3 or 4) I can no longer
    >> delete any emails. I then close OE and reopen it and go through the same
    >> thing all over again.
    >>

    > Mails with big attachments, maybe?

    Often times, yes.

    > You may try to compress your e-mail database from within outbug^H^H^Hlook
    > express.

    Don't know what outbug^H^H^Hlook is. Please explain.

    Ever thought about migrating to thunderbird (it will import your
    > OE emails upon install)?

    Do you reccomend it?

    >> #2- Some times when I double click an email (or a program shortcut in
    >> windows) the machine freezes up. As a matter of fact the last time it
    >> happened the cursor actually disappeared. It's happened so often that
    >> I've
    >> actually mounted an in line switch in a convenient spot so that I can
    >> turn
    >> the computer off and on to reboot which is the only way I can proceed.
    >>

    > No reaction to ctrl-alt-del?

    No reaction to anything.

    > Looks like some hardware failure ... maybe a bad spot in ram, a power
    > supply
    > or onboard voltage regulator/capacitor issue. When was the last time you
    > opened the case and cleaned the fan and heatsink?

    It's been well over a year. I'll give it a try before I do anything else.

    > Can you see something in event viewer after such a crash?

    I never checked because in the past all I ever saw was something like
    "Application hang", which is what I already knew. Next time I'll check and
    report
    back to you what it says.

    > Google and download memtest86, it will fit on a bootable floppy. Let it
    > run
    > overnight.

    I just checked with Google as you advised and there seems to be a variety of
    choices
    to download. Would this be the right one?
    Download - Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.4a installable from Windows and DOS

    >> #3- I originally put several check book registries onto a single
    >> #spreadsheet
    >> program which I created with MS Works. I later decided to split them up
    >> into separate programs by copy and pasting them into new spreadsheets.
    >> This worked fine for a time but then a time came that every time I opened
    >> a spreadsheet to update it I would get a message that another program was
    >> open with the same name and any I made would not be able to be saved.
    >> After much experimenting I found that if I first compressed the file
    >> before opening it every thing would work ok.
    >>

    > Not that I know much about works, but the files it produces are a pain to
    > import in a standard application. Openoffice would be worth a try, it can
    > be setup to produce standard *.doc and *.xls files which are well
    > recognized by standard MS office.

    I might try that once I get these other problems fixed.

    nutzel, Jan 30, 2008
  4. nutzel

    chuckcar Guest

    "nutzel" <> wrote in

    > I have :
    > XP2 with all the updates.
    > OE6 with all updates
    > IE 7 with all updates.
    >
    > I have several very annoying problems that I hope some one can help me
    > with.
    >
    > #1- I get perhaps 15 to 20 emails per day, many of which I forward to
    > others. My normal practice is to remove all traces of past recipients
    > forward the email and delete the one that was sent to me. After I
    > perform this operation with a few emails (usually about 3 or 4) I can
    > no longer delete any emails. I then close OE and reopen it and go
    > through the same thing all over again.

    <snip>

    Note: this numbering is not in co-relation to your numbers, they are simply
    a list possiblities of what might be wrong with one or more of them.

    1. Have you tried repairing IE & OE? This can be done by going to
    add/remove programs and selecting "Internet Explorer 7 and internet
    tools" and clicking add/remove. Then you are given three choices *make*
    *sure* you put the period beside repair before clicking OK.

    2. Anther thought is that IE 7 is still pretty new and can have problems
    with some computers. IE 6 works fine and it's certificates won't expire
    for a few years yet. Generally, I stay one version number behind what MS
    puts out due to there being *always* fixes. There have been quite a few
    postings of people having problems with it, even my sister had to
    uninstall it to be able to view web pages at *all*.

    3. When you look down by the clock on the bottom right, how many icons
    besides the time do you see? My thinking is your startup programs are
    slowing down your computer. Try this:

    start->run
    msconfig<enter>
    click on the uncheck startup, click apply and ok. Windows will restart
    and when it comes back it will *ask* you if you want the changes
    reversed select *no*.

    4. Empty your recycle bin and see how much free space your hard drive
    has.

    5. Scan *all* files on your computer for trojans/viri/malware.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 30, 2008
  5. nutzel wrote:

    > "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> nutzel wrote:

    >> Mails with big attachments, maybe?

    > Often times, yes.
    >
    >> You may try to compress your e-mail database from within outbug^H^H^Hlook
    >> express.

    > Don't know what outbug^H^H^Hlook is. Please explain.

    Another Microsoft application often considered as buggy - and unuseable
    together with IE thanks to the mixing of both apps, once reasonably
    secured.

    > Ever thought about migrating to thunderbird (it will import your
    >> OE emails upon install)?

    > Do you reccomend it?

    It is not perfect either, but it is independent of IE, so you can configure
    it without backscatter. Also, it is worth a try if your Outlook Express is
    broken.

    >> No reaction to ctrl-alt-del?

    > No reaction to anything.

    That doesn't look like just a application hanging - therefore consider
    testing your hardware.

    >> Looks like some hardware failure ... maybe a bad spot in ram, a power
    >> supply
    >> or onboard voltage regulator/capacitor issue. When was the last time you
    >> opened the case and cleaned the fan and heatsink?

    > It's been well over a year. I'll give it a try before I do anything else.

    Good. You may as well look for bulged capacitors. When you clean the
    innards, remove/reseat the ram sticks after "polishing" the contact strips.
    Make sure there is no static charge (keep your arms in contact with the case
    while working).

    >> Can you see something in event viewer after such a crash?

    > I never checked because in the past all I ever saw was something like
    > "Application hang", which is what I already knew. Next time I'll check
    > and
    > report
    > back to you what it says.

    Often, a hardware failure won't show up in eventviewer, because the system
    freezes so quickly there is no time left to write a log entry. Or the
    filesystem has stalled as well. Your harddrive is on the way out when you
    find "disk" type errors.

    >> Google and download memtest86, it will fit on a bootable floppy. Let it
    >> run
    >> overnight.

    > I just checked with Google as you advised and there seems to be a variety
    > of choices
    > to download. Would this be the right one?
    > Download - Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.4a installable from Windows and
    > DOS

    Looks just fine, try it.

    >> Not that I know much about works, but the files it produces are a pain to
    >> import in a standard application. Openoffice would be worth a try, it can
    >> be setup to produce standard *.doc and *.xls files which are well
    >> recognized by standard MS office.

    > I might try that once I get these other problems fixed.

    Ok, good idea.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 30, 2008
  6. nutzel

    Plato Guest

    It's not the mouse freezing, its the OS freezing.

    Plato, Jan 31, 2008
  7. nutzel

    ADA Guest

    I've been battling with this problem for over 2 weeks, these couple of days
    appear to have some success. At the very worst the system froze randomly and
    I couldn't get any work done at all. Here's what I did and what I have now.

    First I have WinPatrol. I disable most of the programs that insist on
    getting on the StartUp list.

    If you, like me, have tried everything suggested, (I even re-installed the
    whole system about 20 times), then you may need System Mechanics. It took me
    12 re-installations to learn not to let it do anything yet, except the
    following.

    First, somewhere in the labryrinth of its services you will find a Tool to
    get rid of the junk in the pc...to my surprise even when the system froze
    immediately after boot up, there'd be hundreds of MB junk in form of Temp
    Intenet Files etc.

    After doing that, find the tool to defrag memory, and run it. In one pass
    mine claims to reclaim as much as 400MB right after bootup.

    Restart and see if it will do the trick. Actually I did this routine about
    5-6 reboot, and the system has stabilised since.

    Something else you might do..go to Add/Remove Programs, and if you see an
    icon that doesn't match that provided by the application, (such as a generic
    blue rectangle), uninstall it. Reboot. Sometimes badly installed programs
    will run but may not release the RAM efficiently.

    I hope this helps. Good luck

    ADA, Jan 31, 2008
  8. nutzel

    Guest

    Have a look at AnVir Task Manager Pro http://www.anvir.com/taskmanagerpro
    I bought it few months ago and it helped me to get rid of few trojans.

    It has all features of Winpatrol:
    - Monitor processes, services, startup programs, internet connections,
    DLLs, drivers, locked files
    - Speed up Windows boot time
    - Alerts on new startups, block undesired startup programs
    - Descriptions for startup programs and Windows services

    And a lot of other usefull features:
    - Security analysis of processes
    - Minimize windows to system tray
    - Automatically change process priority
    - Dynamic icons in tray for CPU, memory and disk load
    And much more...

    Freeware edition: http://www.anvir.com/taskmanagerfree

    , Jan 31, 2008