Mouse (driver) problem. Help is wanted.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knut Arvid Keilen, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. I am having a Logitech mouse which I am using on my PC.

    There are some symbols placed on the bottom side of the mouse and there is a
    roller ball inside the mouse which I recently pulled out and cleaned for
    dust.

    I do not find a separate floppy disk or CD-ROM for the mouse, but I am
    running Windows XP (Home Edition) and have the installation disk for this.

    I do have an older CD-ROM called MOUSEWARE (Multilingual (EU) Version 8.02)
    for Windows 3.1 and Windows NT 4.0 .

    I uninstalled this software because of disk space shortage but later
    re-installed it. I find it as MouseWare on the Start-menu.
    Three icons in the MouseWare folder on the Start-menu, Properties for mouse,
    MouseWare Help (a help file) and an Important File for Mouse in
    ..txt format for Notepad. Some black mouse icons available in a sub-directory
    under \Mouse (\Mouse\Pointers) when MouseWare is installed,
    the ones in \Windows\Cursors including colored ones as well as .ani files,
    also in color definitely are better.

    The Properties for mouse in the MouseWare folder on the Start-menu goes to
    the same menu selection as when double-clicking the Mouse icon in
    Control Panel. There are four selection menus side by side there - Buttons,
    Pointers, Pointer Alternatives and "Machine Ware" (actually the software
    drivers).
    This last menu appears empty. There are apparently no mouse drivers
    installed.

    I do have access to Windows Update.

    The mouse is two buttons. In between a grey (roller) button that also can be
    rolled forward and backward when pushed it in / down.

    The mouse appears when starting Windows. The screen is black for some time
    before the Windows logo appears,
    possibly because there is a detection problem with the mouse. A white mouse
    icon is visible for a short moment at the bottom right, but later disappear
    totally.

    If I try to move the media window showing video and visualizations in
    RealPlayer, the mouse changes to a crossed arrow pointing up, down, left and
    right.
    I must go to the Pointers menu in the Mouse under Control Panel to adjust
    this back to the normal arrow.

    When searching for installed hardware, the system do not detect the mouse
    which is connected to the rear of the machine. The connector plug is like
    the one
    for the keyboard circular (or round(ish)). I do not know whether this is
    called a serial port or a PS/2 port. At least it is not a USB port. They are
    connected
    correctly.

    When using for example Microsoft Photo Editor and zooming in on a picture
    making it larger than what is visible as a whole in the screen,
    when I push down the grey roller button, I am able to move in the picture
    and some arrows appear pointing in the relative directions, however the nice
    thing
    that I had before, the ability to zoom in and out using the roller based on
    the scaled previously defined in Microsoft Photo Editor
    (10 %, 25 %, . . . , 800 %, 1600 %, and also fit to window), is now
    unavailable.

    Apparently there is a correct driver missing. If I search for a driver
    manually in the search for hardware menu, I get a list of mouse selections
    like Microsoft PS/2 Mouse or a (Logitech) serial mouse of some model or
    mark, however I find it hard to select the correct one. Some drivers are
    signed by Micosoft, most of the others are not. However it seems my initial
    selections do not work out well anyway. I for example do see the yellow
    question mark also
    for the Microsoft PS/2 mouse driver. The alternative for adding a new
    hardware unit (like a mouse) is found at the bottom of this list.

    Any solution to this problem is welcomed !

    Thanks !

    K. Keilen
    Norway.

    Knut Arvid Keilen, Jan 14, 2005

  2. Knut Arvid Keilen

    samuel Guest

    "Knut Arvid Keilen" <> wrote in

    > I am having a Logitech mouse which I am using on my PC.
    >
    > There are some symbols placed on the bottom side of the mouse
    > and there is a roller ball inside the mouse which I recently
    > pulled out and cleaned for dust.
    >
    > I do not find a separate floppy disk or CD-ROM for the mouse,
    > but I am running Windows XP (Home Edition) and have the
    > installation disk for this.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Logitech +mouse +driver %2
    Bdownload&btnG=Google+Search

    samuel, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Knut Arvid Keilen

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Knut Arvid Keilen" <> wrote in message
    |I am having a Logitech mouse which I am using on my PC.
    |
    | <SNIPPED>

    Go to Logitech's website and download the latest drivers:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/categories/US/EN,CRID=1792

    If you don't see your exact mouse there, go for the next closest model. The
    driver should work with your mouse just fine.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2005