    safe to use a drt mounting press on these? If not, what is a good
    archival mounting method?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Mort, May 22, 2007

  2. Mort

    frederick Guest

    Mort wrote:
    > I print using an Epson 2200 printer, which uses pigment inks. Is it
    > safe to use a drt mounting press on these? If not, what is a good
    > archival mounting method?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    AFAIK, with pigment ink prints, treat them much the same as with
    wet-process colour photo prints.
    One proviso is that it takes a while for pigment ink to dry - although
    they are reasonably water resistant within a few seconds of coming off
    the printer, they are relatively easily scratched until the coalescing
    solvents (glycol ethers) evaporate. That may take hours / days,
    depending on temperature, humidity, airflow around the print etc.

    frederick, May 23, 2007

  3. Mort

    Roy G Guest

    "Mort" <> wrote in message
    >I print using an Epson 2200 printer, which uses pigment inks. Is it
    > safe to use a drt mounting press on these? If not, what is a good
    > archival mounting method?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    Hi.

    I know of people who dry mount Inkjet Prints, but they do take more
    precautions to protect from overheating the Print.

    Personally, I have never had any success with dry mounting using an ordinary
    Domestic Iron, but it must be better with the proper gear.

    I use the 3M Mounting spray, Red Can. I allow it to dry for longer than the
    instructions say, so that it is only tacky rather than very sticky. I then
    apply the Print to the board using considerable pressure from a 6 inch wide
    rubber covered roller. I protect the Print surface, while doing so with
    Silicon paper. I never have any problems with extra adhesive being
    squeezed out beyond the print edges, or with the edges lifting in warm
    environments.

    I do the spraying outside in the fresh air, and always hold my breath while
    doing so, because the solvents are not beneficial to your health.

    Roy G

    Roy G, May 23, 2007
  4. Mort

    tomm42 Guest

    On May 22, 3:49 pm, Mort <> wrote:
    > I print using an Epson 2200 printer, which uses pigment inks. Is it
    > safe to use a drt mounting press on these? If not, what is a good
    > archival mounting method?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    If you use low temp mounting tissue for RC papers you should be fine.
    I prefer archival linen mounting tape, holds the print on the back
    board but doesn't totally adhere it. Only problem is if you have your
    print in an area with variable humidity, over years it can develop
    some dimpling. I have been using this with prints over 20 year and
    most of my prints have no problems, one older cibachrome has some
    dimpling, none of my prints form non silver processes (closest to
    inkjet) that I did in the '70s have any dimpling. One advantage to
    this is if you decide you don't like the print anymore you can reuse
    the matte and backing board. A 50 ft roll costs $20.00, for a 16x20
    you use a foot or two for an 8x10 maybe 6 inches. Use the same tape on
    your matte if you aren't framing.

    Tom

    tomm42, May 23, 2007