    answers. Help!
    Thanks.
    Steve

    Steven Laughmiller, Jan 22, 2005

  2. Steven Laughmiller

    Marvin Guest

    Steven Laughmiller wrote:
    > I am trying to decide on a direction to go in mounting inkjet prints.
    > I have access to a Seal 210 drymount press. I have heard that you can
    > use a dry mount press if you keep the heat low enough and use the
    > right release paper?? I can use spray mount of course with its
    > attendent mess. I am planning on using masonite for alot of my
    > prints so I need some adhesive but will also be using mount board so I
    > could use preglued board. Photo corners I have tried but that
    > doesn't seem to work all that well for larger prints. Largest print
    > size so far will be 13x19 in but I hope to have bigger prints as well.
    > Leaning towards 3M mounting film (coldmount) which is repositionable
    > ( a plus!) but does the final burnishing to adhere the film bother the
    > surface of the print? What is everyone else doing and what works?
    > Google and paper manufacturers don't seem to provide very clear
    > answers. Help!
    > Thanks.
    > Steve

    The U.S. passport office allows for digital photos to be used that are printed on an inkjet printer. They say that the photo
    must be able to stand up to the heat of the process that seals the photo in the passport. I sent digital photos of my wife
    and me that I printed on Kodak paper with HP ink. The photos came out fine on the passport.

    Marvin, Jan 22, 2005

  3. Steven Laughmiller wrote:

    > I am trying to decide on a direction to go in mounting inkjet prints.
    > I have access to a Seal 210 drymount press. I have heard that you can
    > use a dry mount press if you keep the heat low enough and use the
    > right release paper?? I can use spray mount of course with its
    > attendent mess. I am planning on using masonite for alot of my
    > prints so I need some adhesive but will also be using mount board so I
    > could use preglued board. Photo corners I have tried but that
    > doesn't seem to work all that well for larger prints. Largest print
    > size so far will be 13x19 in but I hope to have bigger prints as well.
    > Leaning towards 3M mounting film (coldmount) which is repositionable
    > ( a plus!) but does the final burnishing to adhere the film bother the
    > surface of the print? What is everyone else doing and what works?
    > Google and paper manufacturers don't seem to provide very clear
    > answers. Help!
    > Thanks.
    > Steve

    I use the spray mount adhesive. Once you get the hang of it, the mess
    is not that hard to control. I spray the back of the print. So far,
    with mount board, that works well enough for adhesion. Don't know
    whether you'd need to do both print and board if you use masonite.

    I merely put the print on newspapers, use a fresh top sheet for every
    print if I am doing more than one print per session. I have used
    several brands, but keep coming back to the 3M stuff.

    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Jan 22, 2005
  4. Steven Laughmiller <> writes:

    > I am trying to decide on a direction to go in mounting inkjet prints.
    > I have access to a Seal 210 drymount press. I have heard that you can
    > use a dry mount press if you keep the heat low enough and use the
    > right release paper?? I can use spray mount of course with its
    > attendent mess. I am planning on using masonite for alot of my
    > prints so I need some adhesive but will also be using mount board so I
    > could use preglued board. Photo corners I have tried but that
    > doesn't seem to work all that well for larger prints. Largest print
    > size so far will be 13x19 in but I hope to have bigger prints as well.
    > Leaning towards 3M mounting film (coldmount) which is repositionable
    > ( a plus!) but does the final burnishing to adhere the film bother the
    > surface of the print? What is everyone else doing and what works?
    > Google and paper manufacturers don't seem to provide very clear
    > answers. Help!

    Mostly I just use linen hinge tape, and then hold them vaguely flat
    with the overmat. This is essentially "museum mounting", and is the
    best choice for the long-term life of the print (with appropriate
    choice of boards). All the conservators seem to recommend against
    mounting the print to anything.

    However, I do prefer the actual flat look you get from mounting a
    print. So good luck with your endeavors! But remember that you're
    compromising the lifespan of your prints by mounting them.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 22, 2005
  5. Steven Laughmiller

    Warren Weber Guest

    "Steven Laughmiller" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to decide on a direction to go in mounting inkjet prints.
    > I have access to a Seal 210 drymount press. I have heard that you can
    > use a dry mount press if you keep the heat low enough and use the
    > right release paper?? I can use spray mount of course with its
    > attendent mess. I am planning on using masonite for alot of my
    > prints so I need some adhesive but will also be using mount board so I
    > could use preglued board. Photo corners I have tried but that
    > doesn't seem to work all that well for larger prints. Largest print
    > size so far will be 13x19 in but I hope to have bigger prints as well.
    > Leaning towards 3M mounting film (coldmount) which is repositionable
    > ( a plus!) but does the final burnishing to adhere the film bother the
    > surface of the print? What is everyone else doing and what works?
    > Google and paper manufacturers don't seem to provide very clear
    > answers. Help!
    > Thanks.
    > Steve

    Dry mount tissue and a hand iron is what I use. W W

    Warren Weber, Jan 22, 2005
  6. Steven Laughmiller

    George Guest

    > I am trying to decide on a direction to go in mounting inkjet prints.
    > I have access to a Seal 210 drymount press. I have heard that you can
    > use a dry mount press if you keep the heat low enough and use the
    > right release paper?? I can use spray mount of course with its
    > attendent mess. I am planning on using masonite for alot of my
    > prints so I need some adhesive but will also be using mount board so I
    > could use preglued board. Photo corners I have tried but that
    > doesn't seem to work all that well for larger prints. Largest print
    > size so far will be 13x19 in but I hope to have bigger prints as well.
    > Leaning towards 3M mounting film (coldmount) which is repositionable
    > ( a plus!) but does the final burnishing to adhere the film bother the
    > surface of the print? What is everyone else doing and what works?
    > Google and paper manufacturers don't seem to provide very clear
    > answers. Help!
    > Thanks.
    > Steve

    I've used old Seal Colormount (for RC papers) w/my 160M press without
    problems. I have a standard roll of Seal release paper that I use...didn't
    change
    from chemical process paper. I've only done a few, but haven't seen any
    problems.

    George

    George, Jan 22, 2005
  7. Steven Laughmiller

    Jim Waggener Guest

    >I am trying to decide on a direction to go in mounting inkjet prints.
    > I have access to a Seal 210 drymount press. I have heard that you can

    I use a Seal 500T-X to dry mount 24x36" Epson 7600 prints on masonite. Works
    very well. Of course you need release paper top and bottom. I use Bienfang
    Fusion 4000 Dry Mounting Adhesive at 180 degrees to set it. Comes out
    perfect every time.

    Jim

    Jim Waggener, Jan 22, 2005
  8. Steven Laughmiller

    Tom Monego Guest

    In article <41f2c79e_2@127.0.0.1>, says...

    >"Steven Laughmiller" <> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to decide on a direction to go in mounting inkjet prints.
    >> I have access to a Seal 210 drymount press. I have heard that you can

    >I use a Seal 500T-X to dry mount 24x36" Epson 7600 prints on masonite. Works
    >very well. Of course you need release paper top and bottom. I use Bienfang
    >Fusion 4000 Dry Mounting Adhesive at 180 degrees to set it. Comes out
    >perfect every time.
    >
    >Jim

    Why masonite?, very acid stuff, and it warps in moist environs, even something
    as short as a humid summer. A buffered mount board would be a better choice or
    acid free gator foam (not the name but has the same stiffness). Dry mount is OK
    but the linen tape solution is much more archival, though the print won't
    flatten as well.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Jan 22, 2005
  9. Steven Laughmiller

    Colin D Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > Steven Laughmiller <> writes:
    >
    > > I am trying to decide on a direction to go in mounting inkjet prints.
    > > I have access to a Seal 210 drymount press. I have heard that you can
    > > use a dry mount press if you keep the heat low enough and use the
    > > right release paper?? I can use spray mount of course with its
    > > attendent mess. I am planning on using masonite for alot of my
    > > prints so I need some adhesive but will also be using mount board so I
    > > could use preglued board. Photo corners I have tried but that
    > > doesn't seem to work all that well for larger prints. Largest print
    > > size so far will be 13x19 in but I hope to have bigger prints as well.
    > > Leaning towards 3M mounting film (coldmount) which is repositionable
    > > ( a plus!) but does the final burnishing to adhere the film bother the
    > > surface of the print? What is everyone else doing and what works?
    > > Google and paper manufacturers don't seem to provide very clear
    > > answers. Help!

    > Mostly I just use linen hinge tape, and then hold them vaguely flat
    > with the overmat. This is essentially "museum mounting", and is the
    > best choice for the long-term life of the print (with appropriate
    > choice of boards). All the conservators seem to recommend against
    > mounting the print to anything.
    >
    > However, I do prefer the actual flat look you get from mounting a
    > print. So good luck with your endeavors! But remember that you're
    > compromising the lifespan of your prints by mounting them.
    > --

    Good quality mounting tissue forms a pH-neutral barrier against
    impurities in the mount card from migrating to the print, which may not
    be the case with spray adhesives. The heat required for such tissues,
    Seal, etc. is about 180 - 190 F, and should not affect the print dyes or
    pigments. And, I agree that the flatness of a dry-mounted print is far
    superior to glue-mounted prints, especially for exhibition prints.

    Colin

    Colin D, Jan 22, 2005
  10. Steven Laughmiller

    Dave Guest

    Steven Laughmiller wrote:
    > I am trying to decide on a direction to go in mounting inkjet prints.
    > I have access to a Seal 210 drymount press. I have heard that you can
    > use a dry mount press if you keep the heat low enough and use the
    > right release paper?? I can use spray mount of course with its
    > attendent mess. I am planning on using masonite for alot of my
    > prints so I need some adhesive but will also be using mount board so I
    > could use preglued board. Photo corners I have tried but that
    > doesn't seem to work all that well for larger prints. Largest print
    > size so far will be 13x19 in but I hope to have bigger prints as well.
    > Leaning towards 3M mounting film (coldmount) which is repositionable
    > ( a plus!) but does the final burnishing to adhere the film bother the
    > surface of the print? What is everyone else doing and what works?
    > Google and paper manufacturers don't seem to provide very clear
    > answers. Help!
    > Thanks.
    > Steve

    If you decide to go the dry mount route, I have a Bogen/Technal dry
    mount press that I'm looking to sell. This is the larger of the two
    presses so local pick up is preferred. I'm on Long Island in NY. remove
    knot from e-mail address to reply.

    Hope some one can use this, it's practically unused.
    Dave

    Dave, Jan 23, 2005
  11. Steven Laughmiller

    Mark Weaver Guest

    I use spray mount, and it works fine. What I do is:

    1. Spray glue onto the back of the print (w/newspaper to catch overspray)
    2. Position on an oversized piece of board (usually foam board, but
    sometimes masonite) so that precise positioning isn't critical
    3. Trim the board to match the size of the print.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Jan 23, 2005