    I am playing around with Ubuntu Linux 5.04 booting from CD.

    How do I mount a NTFS (Win XP) partition on the local C drive?

    Thanks

    Jill, Jul 26, 2006

  2. Jill

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:44:57 +0000, Jill wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am playing around with Ubuntu Linux 5.04 booting from CD.
    >
    > How do I mount a NTFS (Win XP) partition on the local C drive?
    >
    > Thanks

    What happens when you do this:

    mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 26, 2006

  3. Jill

    Jill Guest

    When I try from the root terminal I get the error:

    mount: mount point /mnt/mntDir does not exist

    (also is there a graphical way to do it)

    Thanks

    Jill, Jul 26, 2006
  4. Jill

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:00:21 +0000, Jill wrote:

    > When I try from the root terminal I get the error:
    >
    > mount: mount point /mnt/mntDir does not exist

    You have to create the mount point first or use an existing one.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 26, 2006
  5. Jill

    Jill Guest

    So I tried:

    mkdir /mnt/mntDir
    mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir

    No Error, but when I go to the mnt/mntDir folder it has a red "X" on it and
    opens up empty.

    Thanks

    Jill, Jul 26, 2006
  6. Jill

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:15:34 +0000, Jill wrote:

    > So I tried:
    >
    > mkdir /mnt/mntDir
    > mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir
    >
    > No Error, but when I go to the mnt/mntDir folder it has a red "X" on it
    > and opens up empty.
    >
    > Thanks

    Maybe something to do with running off a live cd and that's where my
    expertise ends. Try a google on it as I'm sure there are others who have
    run into problems mounting an existing volume while running off a live
    cd if you have. Good luck.

    Meat Plow, Jul 26, 2006
  7. Jill

    Shell Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:26:27 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:15:34 +0000, Jill wrote:
    >
    >> So I tried:
    >>
    >> mkdir /mnt/mntDir
    >> mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir
    >>
    >> No Error, but when I go to the mnt/mntDir folder it has a red "X" on it
    >> and opens up empty.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Maybe something to do with running off a live cd and that's where my
    > expertise ends. Try a google on it as I'm sure there are others who have
    > run into problems mounting an existing volume while running off a live
    > cd if you have. Good luck.
    >

    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> You have to create the mount point first or use an existing one.

    >>> --
    >>> COOSN-266-06-25794
    >>>
    >>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

    An old version of the live cd! Get the latest, sure it works off that.

    Shell, Jul 26, 2006
  8. Jill

    Jill Guest

    OK will try. Thanks

    Jill, Jul 26, 2006
  9. Jill

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-26, Jill <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am playing around with Ubuntu Linux 5.04 booting from CD.
    >
    > How do I mount a NTFS (Win XP) partition on the local C drive?

    My Debian system running Gnome 2.14 has a "Disks-Admin" utility under
    Debian>Apps>System.

    If you can't find it there, you could try
    disks-admin & from a terminal logged in as a superuser:

    shell prompt$: su
    password: whatever yours is
    shell prompt#: disks-admin &

    After that there's a partition tab where you can set your mount points.
    NTFS is going to be "read-only". If you want a convenient way to share
    files then build a FAT 32 partition. You can read and write to it from
    both OS's.

    --
    "One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

    Jimchip, Jul 26, 2006
  10. Jill wrote:

    > OK will try. Thanks
    >
    > "Shell" <> wrote in message

    >> An old version of the live cd! Get the latest, sure it works off that.

    Damn you all. Why does noone ever trim the junk and please
    STOP TOP POSTING. It hurts to read backwards, really.

    Mounting ntfs is a root thing, and you can only access the mounted drive as
    root afterwards, therefore the lock or cross. Start the file manager in
    superuser mode and point it at your mountpoint.
    You know, ntfs is read-only in linux by default?

    Walter Mautner, Jul 26, 2006
  11. Jill

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-26, Walter Mautner <> wrote:
    > Jill wrote:
    >
    >> OK will try. Thanks
    >>
    >> "Shell" <> wrote in message

    >>> An old version of the live cd! Get the latest, sure it works off that.

    > Damn you all. Why does noone ever trim the junk and please
    > STOP TOP POSTING. It hurts to read backwards, really.

    I reconstructed the thread and you got a troll doing junk. Maybe that's
    it hurts?

    --
    "One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

    Jimchip, Jul 26, 2006
  12. Jill

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-26, Walter Mautner <> wrote:
    > Jill wrote:
    >
    >> OK will try. Thanks
    >>
    >> "Shell" <> wrote in message

    >>> An old version of the live cd! Get the latest, sure it works off that.

    > Damn you all. Why does noone ever trim the junk and please
    > STOP TOP POSTING. It hurts to read backwards, really.

    Oh, I forgot to mention, Jill is also top-posting. A troll and a
    top-poster...what a wonderful thread :)

    I don't tend to notice because slrn let's me quiet all quoted material
    so I just see the fresh part, usually.

    --
    "One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

    Jimchip, Jul 26, 2006
  13. Jill

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:19:34 +0000, Jimchip wrote:

    > On 2006-07-26, Walter Mautner <>
    > wrote:
    >> Jill wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK will try. Thanks

    >> Damn you all. Why does noone ever trim the junk and please STOP TOP
    >> POSTING. It hurts to read backwards, really.

    > Oh, I forgot to mention, Jill is also top-posting. A troll and a
    > top-poster...what a wonderful thread :)
    >
    > I don't tend to notice because slrn let's me quiet all quoted material so
    > I just see the fresh part, usually.

    Stick your fingers in your ears and chant "La La La La La La La La"

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 27, 2006