Mounting a networked Windows drive in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Oct 11, 2006.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
    stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:

    I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
    networked drive on a Windows machine.

    Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
    seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
    on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
    accessed though Samba.

    What I'm looking for is a way to make the drive, fprmatted as FAT3,
    appear as a resource in the "save" windows in different apps when I am
    on the Linux machine. I can easily make it show up as one of my "places"
    - but that doesn't help when it comes to saving output files.

    A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
    visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
    but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV. Audactiy
    seems not to recognise ^H

    Philip

    (climbing the learning curve, step by step)
    Philip, Oct 11, 2006

  2. In message <>, Philip wrote:

    > I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
    > networked drive on a Windows machine.

    I can tell you how to do this from the command line, using something like

    mount -t smbfs -o <options> //<Windows machine name>/<share name> /<path to mount point>

    Let me know if you want more details.

    > A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
    > visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
    > but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV.

    Dot-files are conventionally considered "hidden" files under *nix. The
    ones in your home directory typically contain preference settings for
    applications. Any particular reason you want to open/save sound files in
    there?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2006

  3. Philip

    Earl Grey Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
    > stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:
    >
    > I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
    > networked drive on a Windows machine.
    >
    > Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
    > seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
    > on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
    > accessed though Samba.
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a way to make the drive, fprmatted as FAT3,
    > appear as a resource in the "save" windows in different apps when I am
    > on the Linux machine. I can easily make it show up as one of my "places"
    > - but that doesn't help when it comes to saving output files.
    >
    > A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
    > visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
    > but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV. Audactiy
    > seems not to recognise ^H
    >

    > Philip
    >
    > (climbing the learning curve, step by step)

    Heres a help page that I've found really useful

    http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper

    http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu_d...oot-up.2C_and_allow_all_users_to_read.2Fwrite
    Earl Grey, Oct 11, 2006
  4. Philip

    Earl Grey Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
    > stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:
    >
    > I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
    > networked drive on a Windows machine.
    >
    > Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
    > seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
    > on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
    > accessed though Samba.
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a way to make the drive, fprmatted as FAT3,
    > appear as a resource in the "save" windows in different apps when I am
    > on the Linux machine. I can easily make it show up as one of my "places"
    > - but that doesn't help when it comes to saving output files.
    >
    > A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
    > visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
    > but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV. Audactiy
    > seems not to recognise ^H
    >

    > Philip
    >
    > (climbing the learning curve, step by step)

    If you would like a gui tool install linneighborhood
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/net/linneighborhood
    Earl Grey, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Philip

    NR Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
    > stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:
    >
    > I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
    > networked drive on a Windows machine.
    >
    > Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
    > seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
    > on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
    > accessed though Samba.
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a way to make the drive, fprmatted as FAT3,
    > appear as a resource in the "save" windows in different apps when I am
    > on the Linux machine. I can easily make it show up as one of my "places"
    > - but that doesn't help when it comes to saving output files.
    >
    > A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
    > visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
    > but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV. Audactiy
    > seems not to recognise ^H

    The best way is to make a symlink to the folder, and name the symlink
    to NOT be hidden.

    eg

    ln -s /home/phillip/.penguinTV /home/phillip/penguinTV

    NR, Oct 11, 2006
  6. Philip

    Philip Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Philip wrote:
    >
    >> I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
    >> networked drive on a Windows machine.

    > I can tell you how to do this from the command line, using something like
    >
    > mount -t smbfs -o <options> //<Windows machine name>/<share name> /<path to mount point>

    many thanks for that.

    > Let me know if you want more details.
    >
    >> A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
    >> visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
    >> but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV.

    > Dot-files are conventionally considered "hidden" files under *nix. The
    > ones in your home directory typically contain preference settings for
    > applications. Any particular reason you want to open/save sound files in
    > there?

    PenguinTV is a plain and simple, and very effective, podcast aggregator
    that places the downloaded files in its own folder.

    I haven't yet found that part of the Penguin .conf file that sets this.
    But I will...It took me a few minutes to find out where it was putting
    them, because I had expected it to behave like Juice (Ipodder) that
    opens a folder in /home (or Win My Douments) called downloaded podcasts
    and puts them in that.

    The version of Juice available for Ubuntu is not up to much, and greatly
    inferior to its Win counterpart. A bit like Audacity, though why this is
    I cannot say.

    The lateest PenguinTV (version 2.02) rocks, and is much better than the
    Version 1,something in the repositories, and also taught me interesting
    things about tarballs, compiling and python, so it was a winning situation.

    Philip

    (enjoying the feeling of finding out again after all those years of not)
    Philip, Oct 11, 2006
  7. Philip

    Rob Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > The lateest PenguinTV (version 2.02) rocks, and is much better than the
    > Version 1,something in the repositories, and also taught me interesting
    > things about tarballs, compiling and python, so it was a winning situation.

    I've just upgraded to edgy, and penguintv2.02 is there. Thanks for
    turning me on to that. I would never have known otherwise.

    (729mb upgrade. sheesh)
    --
    Rob

    http://grumpyalien.blogspot.com/

    Technology happens. (Andrew Grove)
    Rob, Oct 11, 2006
  8. Philip

    Enkidu Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, Philip wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
    >>> networked drive on a Windows machine.

    >> I can tell you how to do this from the command line, using something like
    >>
    >> mount -t smbfs -o <options> //<Windows machine name>/<share name>
    >> /<path to mount point>

    > many thanks for that.
    >>
    >> Let me know if you want more details.
    >>
    >>> A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
    >>> visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
    >>> but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV.

    >> Dot-files are conventionally considered "hidden" files under *nix. The
    >> ones in your home directory typically contain preference settings for
    >> applications. Any particular reason you want to open/save sound files in
    >> there?

    > PenguinTV is a plain and simple, and very effective, podcast aggregator
    > that places the downloaded files in its own folder.
    >
    > I haven't yet found that part of the Penguin .conf file that sets this.
    > But I will...It took me a few minutes to find out where it was putting
    > them, because I had expected it to behave like Juice (Ipodder) that
    > opens a folder in /home (or Win My Douments) called downloaded podcasts
    > and puts them in that.

    Drop to a command line and do it from there, I guess, if you can't do it
    any other way. Usually such programs have a "Preferences" option on the
    menus, but I guess you've checked for that?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 11, 2006
  9. Philip

    Rob Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >> I haven't yet found that part of the Penguin .conf file that sets
    >> this. But I will...It took me a few minutes to find out where it was
    >> putting them, because I had expected it to behave like Juice (Ipodder)
    >> that opens a folder in /home (or Win My Douments) called downloaded
    >> podcasts and puts them in that.
    >>

    > Drop to a command line and do it from there, I guess, if you can't do it
    > any other way. Usually such programs have a "Preferences" option on the
    > menus, but I guess you've checked for that?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Nothing in the preferences.

    /usr/share/pycentral/penguintv/site-packages/penguintv/MediaManager.py
    /usr/share/pycentral/penguintv/site-packages/penguintv/ptvDB.py

    look like the places. ptvDB.py sets the variable and MediaManager.py
    checks for existence, creating it if not found.
    It is editable in any text editor, but play with at your own risk.
    Golden rule: backup before editing anything.
    You are probably better linking per earlier post.

    Rob, Oct 11, 2006
  10. Philip

    NR Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    > > Philip wrote:
    > >> I haven't yet found that part of the Penguin .conf file that sets
    > >> this. But I will...It took me a few minutes to find out where it was
    > >> putting them, because I had expected it to behave like Juice (Ipodder)
    > >> that opens a folder in /home (or Win My Douments) called downloaded
    > >> podcasts and puts them in that.
    > >>

    > > Drop to a command line and do it from there, I guess, if you can't do it
    > > any other way. Usually such programs have a "Preferences" option on the
    > > menus, but I guess you've checked for that?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Cliff

    > Nothing in the preferences.
    >
    > /usr/share/pycentral/penguintv/site-packages/penguintv/MediaManager.py
    > /usr/share/pycentral/penguintv/site-packages/penguintv/ptvDB.py
    >
    > look like the places. ptvDB.py sets the variable and MediaManager.py
    > checks for existence, creating it if not found.
    > It is editable in any text editor, but play with at your own risk.
    > Golden rule: backup before editing anything.
    > You are probably better linking per earlier post.
    >
    > --
    > Rob

    The linking fixes it without any further problems. Problems with any
    other method might include future versions writing over the file you
    changed.

    NR, Oct 11, 2006
  11. Philip

    Enkidu Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > You are probably better linking per earlier post.

    Mmm, linking a dot file to a non-dot name seems subversive, somehow!

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 11, 2006
  12. Philip

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-11, Philip <> wrote:
    > I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
    > stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:
    >
    > I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
    > networked drive on a Windows machine.
    >
    > Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
    > seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
    > on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
    > accessed though Samba.

    samba is for sharing drives not for accessing them.

    > What I'm looking for is a way to make the drive, fprmatted as FAT3,
    > appear as a resource in the "save" windows in different apps when I am
    > on the Linux machine. I can easily make it show up as one of my "places"
    > - but that doesn't help when it comes to saving output files.

    what is it you want to do?

    where is the drive?

    where do you want to access it from.

    > A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
    > visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
    > but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV. Audactiy
    > seems not to recognise ^H

    click the checkbox that says "show hidden files"
    works for me. (audacity 1.2.3 / debian sarge)

    what do you mean about ^H

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 12, 2006
  13. In message <egklrq$78i$>, jasen wrote:

    > On 2006-10-11, Philip <> wrote:
    >> I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
    >> stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:
    >>
    >> I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
    >> networked drive on a Windows machine.
    >>
    >> Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
    >> seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
    >> on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
    >> accessed though Samba.

    > samba is for sharing drives not for accessing them.

    Samba works as both server (sharing drives) and client (accessing them).
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2006
  14. Philip

    Earl Grey Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <egklrq$78i$>, jasen wrote:
    >
    >> On 2006-10-11, Philip <> wrote:
    >>> I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
    >>> stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:
    >>>
    >>> I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
    >>> networked drive on a Windows machine.
    >>>
    >>> Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
    >>> seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
    >>> on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
    >>> accessed though Samba.

    >> samba is for sharing drives not for accessing them.

    > Samba works as both server (sharing drives) and client (accessing them).

    smbfs is built into the kernel, you don't need to install samba to
    access windows shares
    Earl Grey, Oct 12, 2006
  15. In message <452def53$>, Earl Grey wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> samba is for sharing drives not for accessing them.

    >> Samba works as both server (sharing drives) and client (accessing them).

    > smbfs is built into the kernel, you don't need to install samba to
    > access windows shares

    But it does still work. Also I think you still need smbclient for accessing
    printer shares.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2006
  16. Philip

    Earl Grey Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <452def53$>, Earl Grey wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Samba works as both server (sharing drives) and client (accessing them).

    >> smbfs is built into the kernel, you don't need to install samba to
    >> access windows shares

    > But it does still work. Also I think you still need smbclient for accessing
    > printer shares.

    I think that uses smbfs as well, you enter the deviceURI in cups as smb://
    Earl Grey, Oct 12, 2006
  17. In message <452df990$>, Earl Grey wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> smbfs is built into the kernel, you don't need to install samba to
    >>> access windows shares

    >> But it does still work. Also I think you still need smbclient for
    >> accessing printer shares.

    > I think that uses smbfs as well, you enter the deviceURI in cups as smb://

    smbfs/cifs is for filesystems, not printer shares.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2006
  18. Philip

    Earl Grey Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <452df990$>, Earl Grey wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> But it does still work. Also I think you still need smbclient for
    >>> accessing printer shares.

    >> I think that uses smbfs as well, you enter the deviceURI in cups as smb://

    > smbfs/cifs is for filesystems, not printer shares.

    Whatever, cups has its own backend for smb printing.
    Mounting windows shares uses smbfs
    Earl Grey, Oct 12, 2006
  19. In message <452e04de$>, Earl Grey wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> I think that uses smbfs as well, you enter the deviceURI in cups as
    >>> smb://

    >> smbfs/cifs is for filesystems, not printer shares.

    > Whatever, cups has its own backend for smb printing.

    Most likely using Samba.

    > Mounting windows shares uses smbfs

    _Can_ use smbfs or cifs.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2006
  20. Philip

    Earl Grey Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <452e04de$>, Earl Grey wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> smbfs/cifs is for filesystems, not printer shares.

    >> Whatever, cups has its own backend for smb printing.

    > Most likely using Samba.

    It works without samba installed

    http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/2047/3/
    Earl Grey, Oct 12, 2006