    Thanks

    --
    rda
    rda, Nov 10, 2004

  2. rda

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "rda"

    >Hi guys, I was wondering on the compatibility of the MR14 with non canon
    >lenses.
    >I have the Sigma 50mm EX macro and was wondering if it was possible to mount
    >the Canon ring flash to this lens.

    Probably not ... what is the filter size for the Sigma?

    We use the MR14 and it fits on the Canon 100 f/2.8 macro, sliding into a
    groove. This lens has a 58 mm filter size.

    The MR14 won't fit the 180 mm f/3.5 L macro directly but Canon sells an adapter
    that screws into the 180 (which I think has a 62 mm filter size, or is it 67
    mm? can't remember and am too lazy to pull it out and check, so you need to
    look this up before buying) ... this adapter lets you mount the MR14 properly
    to the 180 macro.

    So if the Sigma 50 has the same filter size as the Canon 180 macro (which I
    doubt) you can probably attach this adapter and mount the ring flash that way.
    Bill Hilton, Nov 10, 2004

  3. rda

    rda Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > Probably not ... what is the filter size for the Sigma?
    >
    > We use the MR14 and it fits on the Canon 100 f/2.8 macro, sliding into a
    > groove. This lens has a 58 mm filter size.
    >
    > The MR14 won't fit the 180 mm f/3.5 L macro directly but Canon sells an

    adapter
    > that screws into the 180 (which I think has a 62 mm filter size, or is it

    67
    > mm? can't remember and am too lazy to pull it out and check, so you need

    > look this up before buying) ... this adapter lets you mount the MR14

    properly
    > to the 180 macro.
    >
    > So if the Sigma 50 has the same filter size as the Canon 180 macro (which

    > doubt) you can probably attach this adapter and mount the ring flash that

    way.

    Thanks for the info.
    The Sigma 50mm has a 55mm filter thread.
    Maybe then I could get a 55-67 step up ring and then the adapter for the 180
    macro.
    Ill have to wait and see as its too late and I bought the mr14ex on ebay.
    Didn't think about mounting the thing till it was too late.

    --
    rda
    rda, Nov 10, 2004
  4. rda

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> "Bill Hilton" <> wrote

    >> So if the Sigma 50 has the same filter size as the Canon 180 macro ...
    >> you can probably attach this adapter and mount the ring flash that
    >> way.

    >From: "rda"
    >
    >Thanks for the info.

    No problem.

    > The Sigma 50mm has a 55mm filter thread.
    > Maybe then I could get a 55-67 step up ring and then the adapter for the 180
    > macro. Ill have to wait and see as its too late and I bought the mr14ex on
    > ebay.

    I can test this out for you later today or tonight, I have a 58 -> 67 mm step
    up ring and I'll see if the 180 mm adapter ring will fit this ... looking at
    the B&H web page with info on the converter it sounds like it should work ...
    if it fits and I can mount the ring flash on another non-macro lens then you
    should be able to do the same with your Sigma with the 55 mm thread.

    Will try this out later and post the results.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Nov 10, 2004
  5. rda wrote:
    > "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > > Probably not ... what is the filter size for the Sigma?
    > > The MR14 won't fit the 180 mm f/3.5 L macro directly but Canon sells an
    > > adapter that screws into the 180 (which I think has a 62 mm filter size,
    > > or is it 67 mm?.......

    > Thanks for the info.
    > The Sigma 50mm has a 55mm filter thread.
    > Maybe then I could get a 55-67 step up ring and then the adapter for the 180
    > macro.
    > Ill have to wait and see as its too late and I bought the mr14ex on ebay.
    > Didn't think about mounting the thing till it was too late.

    Canon makes Macrolite Adapters in 52mm, 58mm and 72mm (the filter size
    of the EF 180 Macro). B&H sells them:
    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=22&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=Macrolite+Adapter&image.x=3&image.y=8>

    -Dave
    Dave Herzstein, Nov 10, 2004
  6. rda

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "rda"

    >The Sigma 50mm has a 55mm filter thread.
    >Maybe then I could get a 55-67 step up ring and then the adapter for the 180
    >macro.

    OK, I tried this out with the 72 mm ring adapter for the 180 mm macro ... I
    couldn't quite complete it (ie, mount the flash on a different non-macro lens)
    because the two step up rings I have are 58 -> 67 and 67 -> 77 but it looks
    like it would be no problem at all if you got the right size step up ring.

    I think either the 58C or the 72C (which is what I have for the 180 mm) would
    work for your Sigma, you just need a step up ring from 55 mm -> 58/72 to mate
    to your lens.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Nov 10, 2004
  7. rda

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Dave Herzstein

    >Canon makes Macrolite Adapters in 52mm, 58mm and 72mm (the filter size
    >of the EF 180 Macro). B&H sells them:
    >
    ><http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=22&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc

    &InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=Macrolite+Adapter&image.x=
    3&image.y=8>

    That's a good link ... the original poster would probably be better off with
    the 58C since it's half the price of the 72C and probably a 55 -> 58 mm step up
    ring is easier to find and carry.
    Bill Hilton, Nov 10, 2004
  8. rda

    rda Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > That's a good link ... the original poster would probably be better off

    with
    > the 58C since it's half the price of the 72C and probably a 55 -> 58 mm

    step up
    > ring is easier to find and carry.

    Thanks loads guys. I have just ordered the 58C for £3 ! and a 55-58 step up
    ring.

    Thanks again

    --
    rda