Mountain Fun-Guy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LOL!, Jul 31, 2010.

  1. LOL!

    LOL! Guest

    This was an interesting find, growing on the remains of a burnt-stump after
    a large forest fire devastated the mountain-pass it was found in. The coin
    placed on it is a quarter, for a size reference.

    <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/4846112569_f1b80f8ce8_b.jpg>

    [After taking all artsy-fartsy shots, it's always advised to take a few
    more typical snapshots while including some known object for size reference
    for future documentation purposes. A little hint for you wannabe nature
    photographers out there. I generally keep a small stack of metric and inch
    rulers printed up on transparency material and waterproof papers in my
    camera pack, inexpensive expendable rulers that can be quickly placed next
    to any insect or plant for use against any colors or hues or lighting
    situations.]

    I safely know about 18 different wild mushrooms for their edibility, many
    hundreds more for their toxicity. (One fun one that will only make people
    sick if they also drink any alcohol after the meal. A good prank-'shroom.)
    Reminding me of a favorite phrase, "There are two kinds of mushroom
    hunters: smart ones ... and dead ones." I took about 1/3rd of this one (2-3
    lbs.) for future meals for that week. Something that no cookbooks anywhere
    will tell you, this variety of 'shroom has to be sautéed for about 30
    minutes before it becomes tender and succulent. It's not your average, heat
    butter, fry it, flip it, eat it, type of 'shroom. Fried up with cut-throat
    trout caught in a nearby stream it was most excellent.
    <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/4846768170_11db88b89d_b.jpg> (This
    time I had the luxury of a mobile base-camp in the form of a class-B
    camper, which I also outfitted with solar-panels to power the digital
    darkroom and wide-bed printer.)

    Now let's watch all the desperately insecure, sheltered-life (basement
    life), pretend-photographer DSLR-TROLLS hijack this thread too.

    This is most amusing. You can't buy entertainment this good!

    LOL!

    LOL!, Jul 31, 2010

  2. LOL!

    LOL! Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:40:43 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:

    >[After taking all artsy-fartsy shots, it's always advised to take a few
    >more typical snapshots while including some known object for size reference
    >for future documentation purposes. A little hint for you wannabe nature
    >photographers out there. I generally keep a small stack of metric and inch
    >rulers printed up on transparency material and waterproof papers in my
    >camera pack, inexpensive expendable rulers that can be quickly placed next
    >to any insect or plant for use against any colors or hues or lighting
    >situations.]

    In the event you have no ruler handy, paper currency works quite nicely
    too. Like this one placed next to one of the (really fresh) largest
    wolf-tracks I've ever run across during one of my lengthy photo-treks in
    Canada.

    <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4847187452_4f650424b2.jpg>

    But Grandma, what big feet you've got!

    LOL!

    This is just one paw-print, the largest, from about a dozen different
    wolves that were milling around in that spot just before I hiked through
    there. They made some nice designs in the otherwise undisturbed dirt with
    their tracks that became interesting photos.

    How much do you want to bet that everyone is going steal this image to keep
    it and show to others without my permission, even in its greatly reduced
    size and severely jpg-degraded quality. CONTENT MEANS EVERYTHING. Image
    quality means NOTHING.

    LOL!, Jul 31, 2010

  3. LOL!

    Dave Cohen Guest

    LOL! wrote:
> [...]

    > Don't worry. One of your fellow trolls will be along any time to tell
    > everyone they were removed because I had stolen them, or I removed them
    > because I was so embarrassed, or they were all shot with DSLRs and I had
    > lied about smaller sensor cameras performing so well, or ... any of their
    > other usual resident trolls' childishly manipulative reasons to desperately
    > try to get my or anyone's attention.
    >
    > When in reality, I never leave images up for more than 24 hours. Rarely
    > longer in special circumstances. Maybe someone will offer to repost them
    > for you without my permission so I can pursue a lawsuit against them again.
    > That's always fun when the trolls try that. The problem is, the ones who
    > have done just that are so poor there's no reward. So in advance I only
    > show them highly degraded jpg-compressed images they can desperately covet

    I've got an idea, next time you come across those poisonous mushrooms
    eat few dozen. Arrange to have some one take your picture and post
    (don't use a DSLR though, we want a good shot).

    Dave Cohen, Aug 1, 2010
  4. LOL!

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 01/08/2010 18:57, LOL! wrote:

    > When in reality, I never leave images up for more than 24 hours. Rarely
    > longer in special circumstances. Maybe someone will offer to repost them
    > for you without my permission so I can pursue a lawsuit against them again.

    The way you post them they are "orphans". They don't bear any copyright
    or identification, so you haven't done anything to protect them and your
    lawyers will have a very hard time. And to prove that the original is
    yours, they will have to show it...

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 1, 2010
  5. LOL!

    DanP Guest

    On Aug 1, 5:57 pm, LOL! <> wrote:

    > When in reality, I never leave images up for more than 24 hours. Rarely
    > longer in special circumstances. Maybe someone will offer to repost them
    > for you without my permission so I can pursue a lawsuit against them again.

    Sue me http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpetre/4850132824/
    See you in court.

    DanP

    DanP, Aug 1, 2010
  6. LOL!

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 01/08/2010 19:16, LOL! wrote:

    >> The way you post them they are "orphans". They don't bear any copyright
    >> or identification, so you haven't done anything to protect them and your
    >> lawyers will have a very hard time. And to prove that the original is
    >> yours, they will have to show it...

    > The provenance is clear enough.

    Of course not... they are posted so that we can't identify the owning
    flickr account. You post the URL, but nothing says the URL belongs to
    any of your multiple noms de trolling.

    > I have all the full-size non-degraded
    > originals. They don't have to be shown on the net to prove it.

    They have to be part of the court case, so in civilized countries this
    means they are available to the public, if only as annexes to the final
    court ruling.

    Btw, we all notice that you said "non-degraded" instead of
    "high-quality" or "award-winning". Congratulations for that spell of
    realism.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 1, 2010
  7. LOL!

    Bruce Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 12:10:20 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:
    > or ... any of their
    >other usual resident trolls' childishly manipulative reasons to desperately
    >try to get my or anyone's attention.

    As if anyone needs to "get your attention".

    You are like an ever-present mosquito. Bzzzz. ;-)

    Bruce, Aug 1, 2010
  8. On 2010-08-01, Bruce wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 12:10:20 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:
    >> or ... any of their
    >>other usual resident trolls' childishly manipulative reasons to desperately
    >>try to get my or anyone's attention.

    > As if anyone needs to "get your attention".
    >
    > You are like an ever-present mosquito. Bzzzz. ;-)

    No, he's not -- unless people respond to him. Most of us have him
    killfiled so we don't see his rubbish unless people like you
    respond to him. Stop it!

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
    Author: =======================

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Aug 2, 2010
  9. LOL!

    Twibil Guest

    On Aug 1, 5:44 pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:

    > > You are like an ever-present mosquito.  Bzzzz.  ;-)

    >    No, he's not -- unless people respond to him. Most of us have him
    >    killfiled so we don't see his rubbish unless people like you
    >    respond to him. Stop it!

    Quick comparison: The DSLR Troll and Chris F.A. Johnson.

    (A) The DSLR Troll is pathological enough to think that people will
    actually believe his grandiose claims; and this makes him feel
    powerful and authoritative.

    (B) Chris F.A. Johnson thinks that people on Usenet should take his
    orders concerning their posting habits; and this makes him feel
    powerful and authoritative.

    Hmmmm...........(taps pencil on teeth).

    Close call.

    Twibil, Aug 2, 2010
  10. LOL!

    LOL! Guest

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 19:46:26 -0700 (PDT), Twibil <>
    wrote:

    >On Aug 1, 5:44 pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:
    >>

    >> > You are like an ever-present mosquito.  Bzzzz.  ;-)

    >>    No, he's not -- unless people respond to him. Most of us have him
    >>    killfiled so we don't see his rubbish unless people like you
    >>    respond to him. Stop it!

    >Quick comparison: The DSLR Troll and Chris F.A. Johnson.
    >
    >(A) The DSLR Troll is pathological enough to think that people will
    >actually believe his grandiose claims; and this makes him feel
    >powerful and authoritative.
    >
    >(B) Chris F.A. Johnson thinks that people on Usenet should take his
    >orders concerning their posting habits; and this makes him feel
    >powerful and authoritative.
    >
    >Hmmmm...........(taps pencil on teeth).
    >
    >Close call.

    (C) Twibil, a recent outpatient, thinks he can psychotically pretend to be
    one of the many many psychologists, psychiatrists, and counselors that he
    was court-ordered to see, with his stack of required-reading self-help
    books at his side.

    ROFLMAO!

    LOL!, Aug 2, 2010
  11. > No, he's not -- unless people respond to him. Most of us have him
    > killfiled so we don't see his rubbish unless people like you
    > respond to him. Stop it!
    >
    > Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>

    An excellent suggestion, Chris, and one I wish more folk would heed.

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 2, 2010
  12. LOL!

    Twibil Guest

    On Aug 1, 7:58 pm, LOL! <> wrote:

    > (C) Twibil, a recent outpatient, thinks he can psychotically pretend to be
    > one of the many many psychologists, psychiatrists, and counselors that he
    > was court-ordered to see, with his stack of required-reading self-help
    > books at his side.
    >
    > ROFLMAO!

    Alas; it takes a serious personality disorder to invent your own
    fantasy and then claim that you're actually laughing at your own
    invention..... (And yet you still wonder why nobody believes a word
    you say?)

    Laugh away, Poopsie, laugh away.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjmmjXGwarU

    Twibil, Aug 2, 2010
  13. LOL!

    Bruce Guest

    On 2 Aug 2010 00:44:17 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    <> wrote:

    >On 2010-08-01, Bruce wrote:
    >> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 12:10:20 -0500, LOL! <> wrote:
    >>> or ... any of their
    >>>other usual resident trolls' childishly manipulative reasons to desperately
    >>>try to get my or anyone's attention.

    >> As if anyone needs to "get your attention".
    >>
    >> You are like an ever-present mosquito. Bzzzz. ;-)

    > No, he's not -- unless people respond to him. Most of us have him
    > killfiled so we don't see his rubbish unless people like you
    > respond to him. Stop it!

    Don't presume to tell me what I should or shouldn't do. By posting in
    this thread you are doing precisely what you are telling me not to!

    Your philosophy: "Do as I say, not as I do."

    Bruce, Aug 2, 2010
  14. LOL!

    Bruce Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:59:36 +0100, "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >> No, he's not -- unless people respond to him. Most of us have him
    >> killfiled so we don't see his rubbish unless people like you
    >> respond to him. Stop it!
    >>
    >> Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>

    >An excellent suggestion, Chris, and one I wish more folk would heed.

    You could start by heeding your own advice, and not adding to a thread
    that you would wish to see killed.

    If there is a problem, and that is a debate in itself, all you are
    doing is adding to it. I suppose it gives you a sense of moral
    one-upmanship, but that is purely an illusion.

    Bruce, Aug 2, 2010
  15. LOL!

    Peter Guest

    "N" <> wrote in message

    > "Ofnuts" <> wrote in message
    >> On 01/08/2010 19:16, LOL! wrote:
    >>

    >> Of course not... they are posted so that we can't identify the owning
    >> flickr account. You post the URL, but nothing says the URL belongs to any
    >> of your multiple noms de trolling.
    >>

    > You don't know much about Flickr.

    Anyone can open a Flickr account under the name of Sam Phototrol, post a
    copy of an image and take it down quickie.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 2, 2010
  16. LOL!

    Peter Guest

    "N" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> "N" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Ofnuts" <> wrote in message

    >>> You don't know much about Flickr.

    >> Anyone can open a Flickr account under the name of Sam Phototrol, post a
    >> copy of an image and take it down quickie.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > The URL of the image is enough to find the account. Flickr account logs
    > will identify the owner. The image can be traced to the owner. LOL is
    > correct in that the theft can be proven. However, to prove a theft had
    > taken place, it would need to actually take place.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/people/45566790@N02

    Of course, but who is Sam Phototrol?
    The next account is Joe Blyfsheig @ hotmail;
    then slimySam @ gmail, etc.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 2, 2010
  17. LOL!

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 02/08/2010 12:17, N wrote:

    > "Ofnuts" <> wrote in message
    >> On 01/08/2010 19:16, LOL! wrote:
    >>

    >> Of course not... they are posted so that we can't identify the owning
    >> flickr account. You post the URL, but nothing says the URL belongs to
    >> any of your multiple noms de trolling.
    >>

    > You don't know much about Flickr.

    .... but I'm willling to learn. How do you do it?

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 2, 2010
  18. "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    []
    > You could start by heeding your own advice, and not adding to a thread
    > that you would wish to see killed.
    >
    > If there is a problem, and that is a debate in itself, all you are
    > doing is adding to it. I suppose it gives you a sense of moral
    > one-upmanship, but that is purely an illusion.

    ... and you've just done the same, Bruce!

    I'm suggesting a way of removing, or at least reducing the problem. No
    "moral one-upmanship" at all. Practical advice about the benefits of a
    kill-file and not responding.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 2, 2010
  19. LOL!

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 02/08/2010 14:51, N wrote:

    > I'm not sure if ofnuts wants a lesson the Flickr generally, or a lesson
    > on using the API. Both are easily found with a search engine.

    Found the photo.gne thing. The hard part isn't to find it, it's to
    imagine it exists (and thus that it can be googled up). Also found the
    full API page... Thx for making me look them up.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 2, 2010
  20. LOL!

    Bruce Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:41:21 +0100, "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >[]
    >> You could start by heeding your own advice, and not adding to a thread
    >> that you would wish to see killed.
    >>
    >> If there is a problem, and that is a debate in itself, all you are
    >> doing is adding to it. I suppose it gives you a sense of moral
    >> one-upmanship, but that is purely an illusion.

    >.. and you've just done the same, Bruce!

    No, because I don;t agree with your perception of "a problem".

    >I'm suggesting a way of removing, or at least reducing the problem. No
    >"moral one-upmanship" at all. Practical advice about the benefits of a
    >kill-file and not responding.

    You think you are in some way superior to the guy you want to censor.
    Unfortunately, the truth is that, among all the gratuitous abuse, he
    does have a positive contribution to make, and he has some views that
    are worthy of being listened to (among others that are surely not).

    Perhaps, one day, we will be able to say that you made a positive
    contribution here, but I have yet to see one. All I see is someone
    who is trying to claim moral superiority over other people while
    standing on some very shaky, almost non-existent foundations.

    Bruce, Aug 2, 2010