Mount points

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Chris M, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    Hello (again),

    Another question about 2003 server:

    I have been doing some practise tests and came across one question where I
    knew the correct answer because of what I have read, but it doesn't match up
    with my experience.

    The question in question (if you'll excuse the pun), was about mount points.
    The explanation of the correct answer was that only volumes on dynamic disks
    can be used as mount points. I was sure that I had created mount points
    under XP in the past, using only basic disks. "Perhaps this is something
    specific to server 2003?" I thought.

    I fired up my virtual 2003 server, which has two basic disks. I created a
    partition on the second basic disk and mounted it as a mount point on the
    other basic disk. No complaints from Windows.

    I did some Googling through usenet and found the following quote: "
    "You really only need
    to convert to dynamic if you want to use software RAID or volume sets and
    mount points."What gives? Why can I create mount points using basic disks
    when apparently I shouldn't be able to?

    Thanks,

    --
    Chris M.
    Chris M, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Chris M

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Chris M" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    <snip>
    > "What gives? Why can I create mount points using
    > basic disks when apparently I shouldn't be able to?
    >
    > Thanks,

    The evidence seems to point to be answer you saw being wrong. Your
    experience tells you the truth, that you can mount volumes on basic
    disks. Embrace the truth and move on.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    “If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would
    deteriorate the cat.” Mark Twain
    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Chris M

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <Xns9629C500B38FDcatwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    says...
    > Subject: Re: Mount points
    > From: catwalker63 <>
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    >
    > "Chris M" <> prattled ceaslessly in
    >

    > <snip>
    > > "What gives? Why can I create mount points using
    > > basic disks when apparently I shouldn't be able to?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >

    > The evidence seems to point to be answer you saw being wrong. Your
    > experience tells you the truth, that you can mount volumes on basic
    > disks. Embrace the truth and move on.

    This response is not in my Magic 8 ball.
    Ben Smith, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Chris M

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <424b1c55$0$26500$>,
    ial says...
    > Subject: Mount points
    > From: "Chris M" <>
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    >
    > Hello (again),
    >
    > Another question about 2003 server:
    >
    > I have been doing some practise tests and came across one question where I
    > knew the correct answer because of what I have read, but it doesn't match up
    > with my experience.
    >
    > The question in question (if you'll excuse the pun), was about mount points.
    > The explanation of the correct answer was that only volumes on dynamic disks
    > can be used as mount points. I was sure that I had created mount points
    > under XP in the past, using only basic disks. "Perhaps this is something
    > specific to server 2003?" I thought.

    This is highly unlikely.

    I suggest testing it again. I seem to remember that mount point are a
    dynamic disk thing, but I could be wrong.
    Ben Smith, Mar 31, 2005
  5. Chris M

    catwalker63 Guest

    Ben Smith <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > This is highly unlikely.
    >
    > I suggest testing it again. I seem to remember that mount point are a
    > dynamic disk thing, but I could be wrong.

    I hate to contradict the expert but you can mount a volume to a basic
    disk. The only requirements are an empty folder and NTFS on the volume
    you are mounting to. The mounted volume can be formatted with FAT,
    FAT32, or NTFS. I just did it with a non-VPC XPSP2 machine with two
    basic disks and it worked fine. (Information comes direct from MS Press
    Self-Paced Training Kit for XP, 2nd edition, page 10-12.)

    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2005
  6. Chris M

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <Xns9629D5333AAD9catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    says...
    > Subject: Re: Mount points
    > From: catwalker63 <>
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    >
    > Ben Smith <> prattled ceaslessly in
    >

    > > This is highly unlikely.
    > >
    > > I suggest testing it again. I seem to remember that mount point are a
    > > dynamic disk thing, but I could be wrong.
    > >

    > I hate to contradict the expert but you can mount a volume to a basic
    > disk. The only requirements are an empty folder and NTFS on the volume
    > you are mounting to. The mounted volume can be formatted with FAT,
    > FAT32, or NTFS. I just did it with a non-VPC XPSP2 machine with two
    > basic disks and it worked fine. (Information comes direct from MS Press
    > Self-Paced Training Kit for XP, 2nd edition, page 10-12.)

    Cool. I really don't know much about the disk subsystem.

    BTW - ALWAYS contradict me if I am wrong.
    Ben Smith, Mar 31, 2005
  7. Chris M

    > In article <Xns9629D5333AAD9catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    > says...
    >> Subject: Re: Mount points
    >> From: catwalker63 <>
    >> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,
    >> microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    >>

    >> I hate to contradict the expert but you can mount a volume to a basic
    >> disk. The only requirements are an empty folder and NTFS on the
    >> volume you are mounting to. The mounted volume can be formatted with
    >> FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. I just did it with a non-VPC XPSP2 machine with
    >> two basic disks and it worked fine. (Information comes direct from
    >> MS Press Self-Paced Training Kit for XP, 2nd edition, page 10-12.)
    >>

    > Cool. I really don't know much about the disk subsystem.
    >
    > BTW - ALWAYS contradict me if I am wrong.

    The information is still fresh in my mind. No fear I'll not take the
    opportunity to contradict you either. <eg>

    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2005
  8. Chris M

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <Xns9629DD7926C86catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    says...
    > No fear I'll not take the
    > opportunity to contradict you either. <eg>

    I have no idea what this means. lol
    Ben Smith, Mar 31, 2005
  9. Chris M

    > In article <Xns9629DD7926C86catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    > says...
    >> No fear I'll not take the
    >> opportunity to contradict you either. <eg>
    >>

    > I have no idea what this means. lol

    It means I'm not afraid to contradict you or anyone else. ;) I will
    observe certain rules for courteous behavior, however.

    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2005
  10. Chris M

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <Xns9629E1DFF6058catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    says...
    > Subject: Re: Mount points
    > From: catwalker63 <>
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    >
    > Ben Smith <> prattled ceaslessly in
    >
    > > In article <Xns9629DD7926C86catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    > > says...
    > >> No fear I'll not take the
    > >> opportunity to contradict you either. <eg>
    > >>

    > > I have no idea what this means. lol
    > >

    > It means I'm not afraid to contradict you or anyone else. ;)

    Good.

    > I will
    > observe certain rules for courteous behavior, however.

    Ok - but that never stopped the MCNGP before.
    Ben Smith, Mar 31, 2005
  11. Chris M

    > In article <Xns9629E1DFF6058catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    > says...
    >> Subject: Re: Mount points
    >> From: catwalker63 <>
    >> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,
    >> microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    >>
    >> I will observe certain rules for courteous behavior, however.

    > Ok - but that never stopped the MCNGP before.

    And I quote "Belittling those whose skill set is far beneath their own,
    in a tactful and professional manner." From the website. <eg> And
    nothing stops us, if you want to know the truth. That's one of our more
    endearing characteristics.

    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2005
  12. Chris M

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <Xns9629ED5F64DE2catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    says...
    > Ben Smith <> prattled ceaslessly in
    >
    > > In article <Xns9629E1DFF6058catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    > > says...
    > >> Subject: Re: Mount points
    > >> From: catwalker63 <>
    > >> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,
    > >> microsoft.public.windows.server.general
    > >>
    > >> I will observe certain rules for courteous behavior, however.

    > > Ok - but that never stopped the MCNGP before.
    > >

    > And I quote "Belittling those whose skill set is far beneath their own,
    > in a tactful and professional manner." From the website. <eg> And
    > nothing stops us, if you want to know the truth. That's one of our more
    > endearing characteristics.

    Yes, but back in 2002 when I was deleting over 75% of posts to this
    newsgroup, I made pretty good headway.

    Ben Smith, Mar 31, 2005
  13. Chris M

    > Yes, but back in 2002 when I was deleting over 75% of posts to this
    > newsgroup, I made pretty good headway.

    And yet, it survives to this day. Larger and more annoying than ever.

    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2005
  14. Chris M

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <Xns962A52831A9catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136>,
    says...
    > Ben Smith <> prattled ceaslessly in
    >
    > > Yes, but back in 2002 when I was deleting over 75% of posts to this
    > > newsgroup, I made pretty good headway.
    > >

    > And yet, it survives to this day. Larger and more annoying than ever.

    Oh no. Large, but way more under control.

    Search the archives for "tonka"
    Ben Smith, Mar 31, 2005
  15. Chris M

    > Oh no. Large, but way more under control.
    >
    > Search the archives for "tonka"

    Yes, those I've seen. But the basic tenet remains: destroy cheaters and
    braindumpers and protect the certification process and value. There's
    room for us to mature, certainly, but I don't think this group will ever
    change in essentials.

    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2005
  16. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    >> "What gives? Why can I create mount points using
    >> basic disks when apparently I shouldn't be able to?

    > The evidence seems to point to be answer you saw being wrong. Your
    > experience tells you the truth, that you can mount volumes on basic
    > disks. Embrace the truth and move on.

    Hi catwalker,

    Thanks for the reply. The only problem I have now is knowing the correct
    'Microsoft' answer if this comes up in my exam today. Which it probably
    won't :)

    Thanks again,

    --
    Chris M.
    Chris M, Mar 31, 2005
  17. Chris M

    > Thanks for the reply. The only problem I have now is knowing the
    > correct 'Microsoft' answer if this comes up in my exam today. Which it
    > probably won't :)
    >
    > Thanks again,

    Well, since I got this from the MS Press book, I'd say it's probably
    safe to assume this is the Microsoft answer.

    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2005
  18. Chris M

    Neil Guest

    did you hear catwalker63 <> say in

    > There's
    > room for us to mature,

    I will NEVER MATURE!!!!

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Command Not Understood... Now Erasing Hard Drive.
    Neil, Mar 31, 2005