Mount points on Basic Disks

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Dan, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Chris,

    Good luck with your exam mate.
    Strange you should ask about volume mount points! ;)
    I wonder if you'll get a such a question on your exam?

    one question where I
    >knew the correct answer because of what I have read, but

    it doesn't match up
    >with my experience.
    >
    >The question in question (if you'll excuse the pun), was

    about mount points.
    >The explanation of the correct answer was that only

    volumes on dynamic disks
    >can be used as mount points. I was sure that I had

    created mount points
    >under XP in the past, using only basic disks. "Perhaps

    this is something
    >specific to server 2003?" I thought.
    >
    >I fired up my virtual 2003 server, which has two basic

    disks. I created a
    >partition on the second basic disk and mounted it as a

    mount point on the
    >other basic disk. No complaints from Windows.
    >
    >I did some Googling through usenet and found the

    following quote: "
    >"You really only need
    >to convert to dynamic if you want to use software RAID

    or volume sets and
    >mount points."What gives? Why can I create mount points

    using basic disks

    Dan, Mar 31, 2005