    most grateful for any help you could provide.

    Many Thanks

    Michael

    Jim McQuillan, Nov 14, 2008

  2. Jim McQuillan

    ian field Guest

    "Jim McQuillan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all, hope someone can help.
    >
    > Approx 8 months ago, I bought a motorcycle helmet with a bluetooth system
    > fitted in. Unfortunately last week, the speaker unit on it failed.
    > Despite many Google searches, I could not find anything similar and with
    > no response from the manufacturers, I am now at a blank.
    > The speaker in question is one and a half inches in diameter and roughly 5
    > millimetres in depth. It is in a plastic protective case as is needed for
    > inside a motorcycle helmet for water protection etc.
    >
    > If anyone has any ideas where I could find this type of speaker I would be
    > most grateful for any help you could provide.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Michael

    Two places you could try are: News:sci.electronics.repair and

    ian field, Nov 14, 2008

  3. Jim McQuillan

    chuckcar Guest

    "Jim McQuillan" <> wrote in

    > Hi all, hope someone can help.
    >
    > Approx 8 months ago, I bought a motorcycle helmet with a bluetooth
    > system fitted in. Unfortunately last week, the speaker unit on it
    > failed. Despite many Google searches, I could not find anything similar
    > and with no response from the manufacturers, I am now at a blank.
    > The speaker in question is one and a half inches in diameter and roughly
    > 5 millimetres in depth. It is in a plastic protective case as is needed
    > for inside a motorcycle helmet for water protection etc.
    >
    > If anyone has any ideas where I could find this type of speaker I would
    > be most grateful for any help you could provide.

    Radio Shack or whatever they call it now in your area. There is probably a
    stamping on the back of the speaker (where the magnet is) saying how many
    ohms it is. This is *probably* 8 ohms, but you should measure it with an
    ohm meter to be sure if you can't find or read the print.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 14, 2008
  4. Jim McQuillan

    ian field Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim McQuillan" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi all, hope someone can help.
    >>
    >> Approx 8 months ago, I bought a motorcycle helmet with a bluetooth
    >> system fitted in. Unfortunately last week, the speaker unit on it
    >> failed. Despite many Google searches, I could not find anything similar
    >> and with no response from the manufacturers, I am now at a blank.
    >> The speaker in question is one and a half inches in diameter and roughly
    >> 5 millimetres in depth. It is in a plastic protective case as is needed
    >> for inside a motorcycle helmet for water protection etc.
    >>
    >> If anyone has any ideas where I could find this type of speaker I would
    >> be most grateful for any help you could provide.
    >>

    > Radio Shack or whatever they call it now in your area. There is probably a
    > stamping on the back of the speaker (where the magnet is) saying how many
    > ohms it is. This is *probably* 8 ohms, but you should measure it with an
    > ohm meter to be sure if you can't find or read the print.

    If its failed open-circuit, measuring the resistance might prove a bit
    difficult!

    ian field, Nov 14, 2008
  5. Jim McQuillan

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > "Jim McQuillan" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi all, hope someone can help.
    >>
    >> Approx 8 months ago, I bought a motorcycle helmet with a bluetooth
    >> system fitted in. Unfortunately last week, the speaker unit on it
    >> failed. Despite many Google searches, I could not find anything similar
    >> and with no response from the manufacturers, I am now at a blank.
    >> The speaker in question is one and a half inches in diameter and roughly
    >> 5 millimetres in depth. It is in a plastic protective case as is needed
    >> for inside a motorcycle helmet for water protection etc.
    >>
    >> If anyone has any ideas where I could find this type of speaker I would
    >> be most grateful for any help you could provide.
    >>

    > Radio Shack or whatever they call it now in your area. There is probably a
    > stamping on the back of the speaker (where the magnet is) saying how many
    > ohms it is. This is *probably* 8 ohms, but you should measure it with an
    > ohm meter to be sure if you can't find or read the print.

    It's a few years since I did any real electronics, but one thing I do
    remember is that what is written on the back of speakers is their
    *impedance* and impedance is *NOT* resistance.

    Resistance is what you measure with a regular multimeter and is a
    measurement of the restriction of direct current.

    Impedance is basically the same but for alternating current (ie. an
    audio signal). It changes depending on frequency. You can't measure this
    directly with a regular multimeter.

    It doesn't matter too much on a small device like this as the power
    level is likely to be quite low, but the same advice taken on someone's
    beloved home hifi or monster guitar amp could result in some seriously
    damaged output stages.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 14, 2008
  6. Jim McQuillan

    Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote:

    >>chuckcar wrote:

    >> This is *probably* 8 ohms, but you should measure it with an
    >> ohm meter to be sure if you can't find or read the print.

    >It doesn't matter too much on a small device like this as the power
    >level is likely to be quite low, but the same advice taken on someone's
    >beloved home hifi or monster guitar amp could result in some seriously
    >damaged output stages.

    Do you see now Chucktart, you are a danger with your advice, any
    advice.
    --

    Look at who won the coin flip
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/413855949_10924f93d6_o.jpg

    , Nov 14, 2008
  7. Jim McQuillan

    Guest

    , Nov 14, 2008
  8. Jim McQuillan

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:32:40 -0000, "Jim McQuillan"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all, hope someone can help.
    >
    >Approx 8 months ago, I bought a motorcycle helmet with a bluetooth system
    >fitted in. Unfortunately last week, the speaker unit on it failed. Despite
    >many Google searches, I could not find anything similar and with no response
    >from the manufacturers, I am now at a blank.
    >The speaker in question is one and a half inches in diameter and roughly 5
    >millimetres in depth. It is in a plastic protective case as is needed for
    >inside a motorcycle helmet for water protection etc.
    >
    >If anyone has any ideas where I could find this type of speaker I would be
    >most grateful for any help you could provide.
    >
    >Many Thanks
    >
    >Michael

    Since it's wireless, and bluetooth, has it occurred to you that it
    might be as simple as a dead battery?

    richard, Nov 14, 2008
  9. Jim McQuillan

    Tony Guest

    Radio Shack in CanaDUH is Circuit City in America. They're in the midst of
    going tits up.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city