    if anybody's interested.
    http://www.pbase.com/ejohnson/critters

    ....Ed Johnson....

    Ed Johnson, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Ed Johnson

    Glen Guest

    "Ed Johnson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been fooling around with a homemade motion detector trigger for
    > the past few weeks. I quickly put up four of the better pictures here
    > if anybody's interested.
    > http://www.pbase.com/ejohnson/critters
    >
    > ....Ed Johnson....

    Hi Ed,
    Just what kind of camera, digital/film, did you use to get those photos? I
    would like to make something that would let me use an old digital camera but
    so far haven't been able to work around the problem of getting power to the
    camera w/o the battery going dead or using an ext. power supply. Photos are
    great!

    Glen

    Glen, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Ed Johnson

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I've been fooling around with a homemade motion detector trigger for
    >the past few weeks. I quickly put up four of the better pictures here
    >if anybody's interested.
    >http://www.pbase.com/ejohnson/critters
    >
    > ....Ed Johnson....

    Nice job Ed. You wouldn't by chance want to post how the device was made and
    how it works? I'd be interested as I'm sure others would be.

    zbzbzb, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Ed Johnson

    Ed Johnson Guest

    "Glen" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi Ed,
    > Just what kind of camera, digital/film, did you use to get those photos? I
    > would like to make something that would let me use an old digital camera but
    > so far haven't been able to work around the problem of getting power to the
    > camera w/o the battery going dead or using an ext. power supply. Photos are
    > great!
    >
    > Glen

    Hi, Glen.

    I used an old Olympus C3040 for the fox and the possum, and my new
    Nikon 5700 for the deer and the racoon. For the Olympus, I used a 1800
    MaH nicad pack to power it, and for the Nikon I used a 12V 5AH
    gel-cell. With both cameras I used the Digisnap from Harbortronics to
    fire the camera through the serial port. The motion detector triggered
    the Digisnap. I usually used the feature of the Digisnap that makes
    the shutter lag almost zero. (It goes to "half-press" after each
    shot).

    Ed Johnson, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Ed Johnson

    CSM1 Guest

    "Ed Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > I've been fooling around with a homemade motion detector trigger for
    > the past few weeks. I quickly put up four of the better pictures here
    > if anybody's interested.
    > http://www.pbase.com/ejohnson/critters
    >
    > ....Ed Johnson....

    Ahhh, Success! Yahoo! It worked.
    Very good.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Ed Johnson

    jean Guest

    Nice pictures, please post more information on your setup.

    Jean

    jean, Nov 20, 2003
  7. Ed Johnson

    Ed Johnson Guest

    "jean" <> wrote in message news:<mz5vb.4406$%>...
    > Nice pictures, please post more information on your setup.
    >
    > Jean

    The motion detector is made from the basic module supplied by Glolab.
    (http://www.glolab.com/gct1/gct1.shtml ). You simply have to make a
    box to mount it in and provide for the external connections and
    switches. Get their fresnel lens also.

    The camera triggering device is supplied by Harbortronics
    (http://www.harbortronics.com/DigiSnap/DigiSnap2200.htm ). It is an
    intervalometer also. It only works with cameras that have a serial
    port.

    If you have a Nikon 5700 and aren't interested in the intervalometer,
    you could use their less expensive Digisnap 5000/5700 which is a
    simple little plate that attaches to the camera bottom and makes
    contact with the shutter release and half press contacts under the
    little sliding door on the bottom of the camera.
    I've posted a picture of the setup with the critters at

    Ed Johnson, Nov 20, 2003