    DVD authoring program is used? Thanks.

    Michael
    , May 14, 2006

  2. Matt Ion Guest

    wrote:
    > I shot a concert with a reasonably tight composition of the pianist.
    > She was moving her body back and forth during the play. The video was
    > captured in mini-dv tapes and transferred to my pc in avi format. When
    > I viewed the avi files, the pianist's face was clear without any motion
    > blur. Then I used Ulead to make a DVD from the avi files, and I
    > observed noticeable motion blur of her face when she moved.
    >
    > I realize there is data loss due to mpeg2 compression. But will the
    > compression introduce a good amount of motion blur (clearly depends on
    > how fast the subject moves)? Could this be more than a format (mpeg2)
    > problem? Will the conversion program contribute to this program? In
    > other words, is it possible to reduce the motion blur effect if another
    > DVD authoring program is used? Thanks.

    Is Ulead perhaps altering the framerate? It SHOULD be 29.97 fps NTSC
    across the board, but if you're creating a project file at 30 fps, that
    could do it.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0619-3, 05/12/2006
    Tested on: 5/13/2006 6:37:20 PM
    Matt Ion, May 14, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I shot a concert with a reasonably tight composition of the pianist.
    > She was moving her body back and forth during the play. The video was
    > captured in mini-dv tapes and transferred to my pc in avi format. When
    > I viewed the avi files, the pianist's face was clear without any motion
    > blur. Then I used Ulead to make a DVD from the avi files, and I
    > observed noticeable motion blur of her face when she moved.
    >
    > I realize there is data loss due to mpeg2 compression. But will the
    > compression introduce a good amount of motion blur (clearly depends on
    > how fast the subject moves)? Could this be more than a format (mpeg2)
    > problem? Will the conversion program contribute to this program? In
    > other words, is it possible to reduce the motion blur effect if another
    > DVD authoring program is used? Thanks.
    >
    > Michael

    Recompression with a different lossy format causes a lot of damage. In
    this case you probably changed image dimensions, went from rectangular
    to square then back to rectangular pixels, resampled the frame rate, and
    used a different codec. That's why pros have massive disk RAIDs - to
    hold all the lossless compressed video.
    Kevin McMurtrie, May 14, 2006
  4. Mark Stead Guest

    Could be related to deinterlacing. Presumabaly the original AVI was interlaced,
    and would require deinterlacing to allow resizing to a different vertical
    resolution and conversion to MPEG2.

    I don't think compression would be a problem - and this is more likely to be
    evident as loss of detail where the image breaks into squares.

    If you are creating an interlaced DVD and then displaying the image on a
    progressive display (eg computer monitor or plasma/LCD) then you are possibly
    getting further blurring.
    Mark Stead, May 15, 2006