    If so, do you know of any retailer in Auckland who might sell such a beast?

    Thanks in advance
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Evil Bastard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know if anyone makes a Socket A (AMD Athlon XP)
    > motherboard
    > in an AT or Baby AT form factor?
    >
    > If so, do you know of any retailer in Auckland who might sell such a
    > beast?

    I don't know for sure but I seriously doubt it Bastard. <g>
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 29, 2004

  3. Evil Bastard

    Bar Guest

    Bar, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Does anyone know if anyone makes a Socket A (AMD Athlon XP) motherboard
    > in an AT or Baby AT form factor?

    I think that you'ld be pushit the proverbial up hill to find one, I dont
    think that there was ever a chipset designed for it(AT).

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 29, 2004
  5. Evil Bastard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bar wrote:
    > Evil Bastard wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if anyone makes a Socket A (AMD Athlon XP)
    >> motherboard in an AT or Baby AT form factor?

    > http://www.jetway.ru/product/amd/849bs/849bs.htm

    Ye Gods! Who would've thought? I wonder if it's still avaiable? (Not that I
    want one).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 30, 2004
  6. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>Does anyone know if anyone makes a Socket A (AMD Athlon XP)
    >>>motherboard in an AT or Baby AT form factor?

    >>http://www.jetway.ru/product/amd/849bs/849bs.htm

    > Ye Gods! Who would've thought? I wonder if it's still avaiable? (Not that I
    > want one).

    The value of such a beast is that it allows recycling of those old AT
    cases; nice because they're typically smaller than ATX.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Jul 30, 2004
  7. Evil Bastard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:

    >>> http://www.jetway.ru/product/amd/849bs/849bs.htm

    >> Ye Gods! Who would've thought? I wonder if it's still avaiable? (Not
    >> that I want one).

    > The value of such a beast is that it allows recycling of those old AT
    > cases; nice because they're typically smaller than ATX.

    For sure, I see the value in it. I have several AT cases, some that are very
    well-made and I have a bunch of AT PSU's. However I wonder if the AT PSU's I
    have would run a modern system. I have a humongous AT Tower case with a
    really nice, but massive, (twice the size of a standard) PSU that would do
    the job. However, that isn't small is it?

    Also, most AT cases, especially the smaller ones, weren't designed to handle
    the large amount of heat produced by a modern system.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 30, 2004
  8. In article <>, se says...

    > >>http://www.jetway.ru/product/amd/849bs/849bs.htm

    > > Ye Gods! Who would've thought? I wonder if it's still avaiable? (Not that I
    > > want one).

    > The value of such a beast is that it allows recycling of those old AT
    > cases; nice because they're typically smaller than ATX.

    Unless you hold an electrical certification you cannot legally replace
    the power supply in an AT case unless it is for your personal use.

    That's one of many reasons to dump them.

    There are plenty of smallish ATX cases around.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 30, 2004
  9. In article <MGhOc.6941$>, misfit61nz@yahoo-
    mung.co.nz says...
    > Evil Bastard wrote:

    > >> Ye Gods! Who would've thought? I wonder if it's still avaiable? (Not
    > >> that I want one).

    > > The value of such a beast is that it allows recycling of those old AT
    > > cases; nice because they're typically smaller than ATX.

    > For sure, I see the value in it. I have several AT cases, some that are very
    > well-made and I have a bunch of AT PSU's. However I wonder if the AT PSU's I
    > have would run a modern system. I have a humongous AT Tower case with a
    > really nice, but massive, (twice the size of a standard) PSU that would do
    > the job. However, that isn't small is it?
    >
    > Also, most AT cases, especially the smaller ones, weren't designed to handle
    > the large amount of heat produced by a modern system.

    As I recall, a change in cooling arrangements was one of the changes made
    in the ATX design. I don't recall the exact details.

    Here is my list of reasons to dump AT cases:
    1. Power supply cannot be replaced except by a registered electrician
    (subject to the limited grounds of being able to do electrical repairs on
    your own gear)
    2. Have to remove drive bays to get at the motherboard
    3. Connectors that have to be bolted onto the case or put into slots and
    connected to the M/B with ribbon cables
    4. HDD / FDD connectors in inconvenient places
    5. Have to remove the motherboard from the case to get the SIMMs out of
    their slots.
    6. Others.... There were a whole lot of reasons why the ATXs were brought
    in. One reason why a typical ATX case is bigger is that the motherboard
    is not partly covered by drive bays. The only time I have to take out a
    drive bay in my ATX case is to install or remove a drive.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 30, 2004