Motherboard with VIA chipset

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ardent, Aug 3, 2009.

  1. Ardent

    Ardent Guest

    Hi Group

    I have two offers for the following motherboard

    P4VM800M7

    at almost half the original price and both say the mobo has been used
    only for a few months and is in good working condition.

    I have always used only motherboard with Intel chipsets. This board
    uses

    VIA PM800 Northbridge along with VT8237 Southbridge

    Since they are trying to sell the boards so soon after buying I am a
    little doubtful about this motherboard.

    Any of you familiar with VIA chipsets please enlighten me about the
    possible problems with these chipsets?

    I will be installing XP-SP3 on this board.

    --
    Thanks for your time and attention

    Archer
    Ardent, Aug 3, 2009

  2. Ardent <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    > Hi Group
    >
    > I have two offers for the following motherboard
    >
    > P4VM800M7
    >
    > at almost half the original price and both say the mobo has been used
    > only for a few months and is in good working condition.
    >
    > I have always used only motherboard with Intel chipsets. This board
    > uses
    >
    > VIA PM800 Northbridge along with VT8237 Southbridge
    >
    > Since they are trying to sell the boards so soon after buying I am a
    > little doubtful about this motherboard.
    >
    > Any of you familiar with VIA chipsets please enlighten me about the
    > possible problems with these chipsets?
    >
    > I will be installing XP-SP3 on this board.

    Get a money back guarantee?
    Hopefully they didnt zap it with static discharge when they had it.

    Otherwise those chipsets are supported under XP and better OS's
    like...oh...say...Linux.

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 3, 2009

  3. Ardent

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ardent wrote:

    > I have two offers for the following motherboard
    >
    > P4VM800M7

    Two offers? Does that mean two offers to sell?

    > at almost half the original price

    My local store was selling that mobo for $20, but they are currently out

    http://snipr.com/olqmk Mercury P4VM800M7 VIA P4M800 Socket 775 mATX
    Motherboard w/Video, Audio & LAN

    Part #: KVM800M-R
    Warranty: 90 Days
    Condition: Refurbished
    Packaging: Retail Box
    Ship Weight: 2.5 lbs
    Manufacturer: Mercury
    MFG Part #: P4VM800M7
    Supported By: Geeks
    Availability: Out of Stock
    Your Price: $19.99

    > and both say the mobo has been used
    > only for a few months and is in good working condition.

    I wouldn't be buying a used mobo from an individual when I can buy it so
    cheaply from a dealer with a storefront nearby.

    > VIA PM800 Northbridge along with VT8237 Southbridge

    Almost all of my computers -1- don't use intel cpu and -2- don't use
    intel support chipsets

    > Since they are trying to sell the boards so soon after buying I am a
    > little doubtful about this motherboard.

    Are you going to buy it for $10 - half of $20?

    > Any of you familiar with VIA chipsets please enlighten me about the
    > possible problems with these chipsets?

    I like all kinds of non-intel chipsets.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 3, 2009
  4. Ardent

    Ardent Guest

    On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 07:50:21 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    wrote:

    >Are you going to buy it for $10 - half of $20?

    Actually my little daughter pushed the computer and it fell down and
    the motherboard got damaged. This mobo was also Mercury PI865D7 but
    with Intel chipset. I was looking for a replacement and found they the
    same mobo is no longer available. So this exercise to buy a used mobo.

    >> Any of you familiar with VIA chipsets please enlighten me about the
    >> possible problems with these chipsets?

    >I like all kinds of non-intel chipsets.

    That sets mind at peace. Thanks Mike for your valuable feedback.

    --

    Thanks again

    Archer
    Ardent, Aug 4, 2009