    ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like sata or those
    wide flat ones like pata ?
    Thanks

    jsema, Nov 26, 2007

  2. jsema

    jsema Guest

    "jsema" <> wrote in message
    news:QdH2j.71407$...
    > I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has enhanced
    > ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like sata or those
    > wide flat ones like pata ?
    > Thanks

    Forgot
    Went to the asus site but couldnot find a trace of this particular
    mb.Nearly all of the listings were for P5's.
    Any help on this ?

    jsema, Nov 26, 2007

  3. jsema

    jsema Guest

    "jsema" <> wrote in message

    > "jsema" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
    >> enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like sata
    >> or those wide flat ones like pata ?
    >> Thanks

    > Forgot
    > Went to the asus site but couldnot find a trace of this particular
    > mb.Nearly all of the listings were for P5's.
    > Any help on this ?

    Just found out this is a mb manufactured by Asus for HP so now all I need
    is what is the equilivent Asus MB ?
    Thanks

    jsema, Nov 26, 2007
  4. jsema

    Mike Easter Guest

    jsema wrote:
    > I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
    > enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like
    > sata or those wide flat ones like pata ?

    Enhanced ATA is/was 'just another' parallel ATA as EIDE or (p)ATA

    .... whereas SATA is serial, not parallel, ATA.

    But, you have to get it right about the Asus PTGD1-LA - not say 'has
    enhanced ata'.

    "Supports 4 Serial ATA devices"

    A serial ATA is a serial device, whereas/but the old term 'enhanced ATA'
    was an old parallel device.

    There is also a term 'enhanced SATA' or SATA II and there is eSATA for
    external SATA applications and connectors.

    The Asus uses the little SATA connectors. Also a different kind of
    power connector for the drives.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 26, 2007
  5. jsema

    PeeCee Guest

    "jsema" <> wrote in message

    > "jsema" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "jsema" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
    >>> enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like sata
    >>> or those wide flat ones like pata ?
    >>> Thanks

    >> Forgot
    >> Went to the asus site but couldnot find a trace of this particular
    >> mb.Nearly all of the listings were for P5's.
    >> Any help on this ?
    >>

    > Just found out this is a mb manufactured by Asus for HP so now all I
    > need is what is the equilivent Asus MB ?
    > Thanks

    jsema

    It will be the flat wide cables.
    If you are looking for increased performance you are likely to be
    disappointed.

    Be carefull if you do buy one as HP often has different connections on
    things like USB headers.

    I've generally found these OEM boards by Asus while perfectly reliable
    products frequently have little information available from Asus.
    You have to identify the exact model of HP they were installed in and get
    the information from the HP website.

    My advice would be to leave your old Mboard in place and save up for a whole
    new box.
    Peacemeal upgrades like this often cost a 'lot' more than waiting a couple
    of months for the total package.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 27, 2007
  6. jsema

    doS Guest

    like talking to yourself?

    doS, Nov 27, 2007
  7. jsema

    chuckcar Guest

    "jsema" <> wrote in

    > I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
    > enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like
    > sata or those wide flat ones like pata ?
    > Thanks

    Sound's like a motherboard from a consumer desktop like an Inpiron. Is
    this the case? Might not live up to your expectations. Consumer
    computers act wierd under high performance situations due to low rated
    power supplies (read low power output in watts).

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 27, 2007
  8. Yet again chucky ducky totally failed to understand the question
    posed and for reasons of indiscernable logic decided to post the
    following gibberish:-
    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "jsema" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm thinking about upgrading my mb to an Asus PTGD1-LA which has
    >> enhanced ata.My question is does E ATA have those small cables like
    >> sata or those wide flat ones like pata ?
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Sound's like a motherboard from a consumer desktop like an Inpiron. Is
    > this the case? Might not live up to your expectations. Consumer
    > computers act wierd under high performance situations due to low rated
    > power supplies (read low power output in watts).
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    How does that answer the OP's question, you really haven't a clue what
    you are talking about have you chucky.
    Now chucky explain what the motherboard connections and size of the
    ribbon cables has to do with the PSU.

    You Silly Sod, Nov 28, 2007