    My guess is that the motherboard problem is related to a segment of
    memory that Windows 98 or DOS doesn't use. Is Linux as demanding on
    memory as Windows is?
    mcp6453, Jun 28, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Jerry G. Guest

    Did you try another set of RAM's? Did you check in the BIOS set-up, if all
    is set properly for the type of RAM's and any options that may be wrongly
    set?

    If all else fails, I would try a BIOS update from the mother board
    manufacture.

    --

    Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    I have an IBM 6579 computer (PIII 766 MHz) that works normally when
    booting into Windows 98, but it crashes and reboots repeated when
    booting into Windows 2000 or XP. After many hours, I swapped
    motherboards with an identical computer, and the problem disappeared.
    Since the computer with the bad motherboard works fine with Windows 98,
    what are the chances that it would be a satisfactory computer for Linux?

    Jerry G., Jun 30, 2004