Motherboard problem.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knut Arvid Keilen, May 3, 2007.

  1. I have a Pentium D PC with a 3.4 GHz Intel processor installed. 3 disks - 1
    SATA and 2 IDE.

    Earlier I did not get a response to the monitor and had to send the PC to
    service. I got that problem fixed within the guarantee period,
    no new components and no expense for the repair. Also new software for the
    monitor card was dowloaded, fixing some syntax errors.

    The monitor card has a fan as well as there is one on the power supply. The
    fan mounted on the motherboard
    now makes a big noise when the machine is turned on and it gets worse after
    a while.

    I figure that this is not because of a software overload problem. The noise
    from the fan is there from the start on.
    I do not do overclocking either, although this may be possible with the
    software provided.

    A monitor program tells me that the motherboard temperature is too high and
    sets off an alarm when activated.
    I have chosen to turn this off, since I now am aware of the problem.

    Right now, half an hour after boot-up, the noise from the fan is there all
    right. But the monitor software for the moment
    shows all the figures in the green. Motherboard temperature is currently at
    43 degrees Celsius. I know the alarm should sound
    when the motherboard temperature reaches 48 or 49 degrees Celsius.

    A friend of mine told me the problem could come from the power supply. Maybe
    it is because of the disks installed.
    At least the configuration allows for it.

    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance !
    Knut Arvid Keilen, May 3, 2007

  2. Knut Arvid Keilen

    Mike Easter Guest

    Knut Arvid Keilen wrote:

    > The fan mounted on the motherboard
    > now makes a big noise when the machine is turned on and it gets worse
    > after a while.

    Noisy cooling systems need a complete re-evaluation of the design and
    the fans.

    > A monitor program tells me that the motherboard temperature is too
    > high and sets off an alarm when activated.

    Oops.

    > I have chosen to turn this off, since I now am aware of the problem.

    It is always a good idea to turn off the red lights on the dashboard if
    you possibly can. They can hurt your eyes.

    Not.

    The fan mounted on the mobo? What does that mean? Are you talking
    about a CPU fan? Maybe you need a better CPU cooler and a better and
    quieter fan on it.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 3, 2007

  3. Knut Arvid Keilen

    GHalleck Guest

    Knut Arvid Keilen wrote:

    > I have a Pentium D PC with a 3.4 GHz Intel processor installed. 3 disks - 1
    > SATA and 2 IDE.
    >
    > Earlier I did not get a response to the monitor and had to send the PC to
    > service. I got that problem fixed within the guarantee period,
    > no new components and no expense for the repair. Also new software for the
    > monitor card was dowloaded, fixing some syntax errors.
    >
    > The monitor card has a fan as well as there is one on the power supply. The
    > fan mounted on the motherboard
    > now makes a big noise when the machine is turned on and it gets worse after
    > a while.
    >
    > I figure that this is not because of a software overload problem. The noise
    > from the fan is there from the start on.
    > I do not do overclocking either, although this may be possible with the
    > software provided.
    >
    > A monitor program tells me that the motherboard temperature is too high and
    > sets off an alarm when activated.
    > I have chosen to turn this off, since I now am aware of the problem.
    >
    > Right now, half an hour after boot-up, the noise from the fan is there all
    > right. But the monitor software for the moment
    > shows all the figures in the green. Motherboard temperature is currently at
    > 43 degrees Celsius. I know the alarm should sound
    > when the motherboard temperature reaches 48 or 49 degrees Celsius.
    >
    > A friend of mine told me the problem could come from the power supply. Maybe
    > it is because of the disks installed.
    > At least the configuration allows for it.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance !

    First, replace the noisy fan. That is not a good indicator, especially
    if it is the CPU fan. Second, there does not seem to be enough fans
    or a sufficient number of fans to move the air around the inside of
    the chassis. Intel Pentium-D's do get very hot, especially the 3.4
    GHz and faster versions. Unless its heat is dissipated, the insides
    of the computer case will get quite warm.

    The motherboard temperature does indicate that the ventilation is not
    adequate. For a comparable system like your's, my personal Pentium 3.4
    GHz tower is ventilated by 4 80-mm fans blowing air via vents into the
    chassis and over the motherboard from the sides and the bottom; a 120-mm
    fan draws in air from the front with another 120-mm fan exhausts air out
    the back along with a 80-mm fan exhausting air out the top. And there are
    also 2 fans for a 550-Watt PSU, an ASUS Silent Square for the CPU, and a
    12-inch cross-flow fan to ventilate the underside of the motherboard. While
    the CPU temps range from 48-52 deg C., the motherboard seldom peaks above
    28 deg C.

    It's all in the fans. My Mac friendss are adopting low RPM, 120-mm and
    larger fans to quietly move air around their high-end systems and the
    new Mac cases have become massive heatsinks.
    GHalleck, May 3, 2007