Motherboard problem.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knut Arvid Keilen, May 3, 2007.

  1. I have a Pentium D PC with a 3.4 GHz Intel processor installed. 3 disks - 1
    SATA and 2 IDE.

    Earlier I did not get a response to the monitor and had to send the PC to
    service. I got that problem fixed within the guarantee period,
    no new components and no expense for the repair. Also new software for the
    monitor card was dowloaded, fixing some syntax errors.

    The monitor card has a fan as well as there is one on the power supply. The
    fan mounted on the mainboard
    now makes a big noise when the machine is turned on and it gets worse after
    a while.

    I figure that this is not because of a software overload problem. The noise
    from the fan is there from the start on.
    I do not do overclocking either, although this may be possible with the
    software provided.

    A monitor program tells me that the motherboard temperature is too high and
    sets off an alarm when activated.
    I have chosen to turn this off, since I now am aware of the problem.

    Right now, half an hour after boot-up, the noise from the fan is there all
    right. But the monitor software for the moment
    shows all the figures in the green. Motherboard temperature is currently at
    43 degrees Celsius. I know the alarm should sound
    when the motherboard temperature reaches 48 or 49 degrees Celsius.

    A friend of mine told me the problem could come from the power supply. Maybe
    it is because of the disks installed.
    At least the configuration allows for it.

    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance !
    Knut Arvid Keilen, May 3, 2007

  2. Knut Arvid Keilen

    Cub Guest

    "Knut Arvid Keilen" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Pentium D PC with a 3.4 GHz Intel processor installed. 3 disks - 1
    >SATA and 2 IDE.
    >
    > Earlier I did not get a response to the monitor and had to send the PC to
    > service. I got that problem fixed within the guarantee period,
    > no new components and no expense for the repair. Also new software for the
    > monitor card was dowloaded, fixing some syntax errors.
    >
    > The monitor card has a fan as well as there is one on the power supply.
    > The fan mounted on the mainboard
    > now makes a big noise when the machine is turned on and it gets worse
    > after a while.
    >
    > I figure that this is not because of a software overload problem. The
    > noise from the fan is there from the start on.
    > I do not do overclocking either, although this may be possible with the
    > software provided.
    >
    > A monitor program tells me that the motherboard temperature is too high
    > and sets off an alarm when activated.
    > I have chosen to turn this off, since I now am aware of the problem.
    >
    > Right now, half an hour after boot-up, the noise from the fan is there all
    > right. But the monitor software for the moment
    > shows all the figures in the green. Motherboard temperature is currently
    > at 43 degrees Celsius. I know the alarm should sound
    > when the motherboard temperature reaches 48 or 49 degrees Celsius.
    >
    > A friend of mine told me the problem could come from the power supply.
    > Maybe it is because of the disks installed.
    > At least the configuration allows for it.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance !

    Sell your PC and do wood carving

    LOL .... monitor card LOL

    Cub, May 3, 2007

  3. Knut Arvid Keilen

    Coco Guest

    >I have a Pentium D PC with a 3.4 GHz Intel processor installed. 3 disks - 1
    >SATA and 2 IDE.
    >
    > Earlier I did not get a response to the monitor and had to send the PC to
    > service. I got that problem fixed within the guarantee period,
    > no new components and no expense for the repair. Also new software for the
    > monitor card was dowloaded, fixing some syntax errors.
    >
    > The monitor card has a fan as well as there is one on the power supply.
    > The fan mounted on the mainboard
    > now makes a big noise when the machine is turned on and it gets worse
    > after a while.
    >
    > I figure that this is not because of a software overload problem. The
    > noise from the fan is there from the start on.
    > I do not do overclocking either, although this may be possible with the
    > software provided.
    >
    > A monitor program tells me that the motherboard temperature is too high
    > and sets off an alarm when activated.
    > I have chosen to turn this off, since I now am aware of the problem.
    >
    > Right now, half an hour after boot-up, the noise from the fan is there all
    > right. But the monitor software for the moment
    > shows all the figures in the green. Motherboard temperature is currently
    > at 43 degrees Celsius. I know the alarm should sound
    > when the motherboard temperature reaches 48 or 49 degrees Celsius.
    >
    > A friend of mine told me the problem could come from the power supply.
    > Maybe it is because of the disks installed.
    > At least the configuration allows for it.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance !

    I hope you were not using that computer to post this message. Turn it off
    immediately!
    Let it cool down for a couple of hours, then open the box. Look for anything
    that may be obstructing the fan(s), such as a loose wire. If you can't see
    anything obvious, turn it on and try to find out which fan the noise comes
    from. The noise could be caused by some bad motor bearings, not necessarily
    an obstruction. Turn it off before it has a chance to get too hot and don't
    turn it on again until you have that fan replaced or obstruction removed.
    Then start saving money for a new computer, this one won't last very long
    after having run overheated.
    Coco, May 3, 2007
  4. "Knut Arvid Keilen" <> skrev i melding
    >I have a Pentium D PC with a 3.4 GHz Intel processor installed. 3 disks - 1
    >SATA and 2 IDE.
    >
    > Earlier I did not get a response to the monitor and had to send the PC to
    > service. I got that problem fixed within the guarantee period,
    > no new components and no expense for the repair. Also new software for the
    > monitor card was dowloaded, fixing some syntax errors.
    >
    > The monitor card has a fan as well as there is one on the power supply.
    > The fan mounted on the mainboard
    > now makes a big noise when the machine is turned on and it gets worse
    > after a while.
    >
    > I figure that this is not because of a software overload problem. The
    > noise from the fan is there from the start on.
    > I do not do overclocking either, although this may be possible with the
    > software provided.
    >
    > A monitor program tells me that the motherboard temperature is too high
    > and sets off an alarm when activated.
    > I have chosen to turn this off, since I now am aware of the problem.
    >
    > Right now, half an hour after boot-up, the noise from the fan is there all
    > right. But the monitor software for the moment
    > shows all the figures in the green. Motherboard temperature is currently
    > at 43 degrees Celsius. I know the alarm should sound
    > when the motherboard temperature reaches 48 or 49 degrees Celsius.
    >
    > A friend of mine told me the problem could come from the power supply.
    > Maybe it is because of the disks installed.
    > At least the configuration allows for it.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance !

    Thanks for input and suggestions !

    First. There is no mis-sound or dis-sound present and no loose wires. In
    fact I assembled the cabling in quite good order before putting on the
    cover.
    I can hear the disks working (reading / writing) despite the noise from the
    fan.

    It is a CPU-fan. It is mounted on top of the processor and is quite large in
    size.

    There are only two problems, the high and intense sound of the fan itself,
    as well as the somewhat high motherboard temperature recorded.
    There is no crisis and I will not shut the machine down yet. However the
    life-time of the motherboard may shorten unless I do something and I will do
    so
    rather quickly.

    I am able to locate two additional fans which appear to be "For
    water-cooling or passive CPU cooler only".
    Apparently there is no water-cooling installed in my PC at present. Where to
    put these additional fans I do not know right now.

    At the front of the plastic encasing it reads "For use in junction with
    Passive Cooler or Water Cooler only".
    Next it reads "Installing the optional fan with an active CPU Cooler will
    interfere with internal CPU cooler airflow and endanger system stability".

    Possibly I should leave this problem for my vendor. It may appear there are
    at least two ways to solve this problem, one of them water-cooling.

    So it goes.
    Knut Arvid Keilen, May 3, 2007