    up ok and the fan spins on the processor, plus no smells of burning.
    Help!

    , Sep 11, 2007

  2. tony sayer Guest

    In article <>,
    scribeth thus
    >Sorry if I'm in the wrong group but:
    >
    >I have an MSI Neo2 Platinum motherboard and Athlon 64bit X2 processor.
    >The system fails to proceed passed the four lights of death on the
    >MSI's diagnostic lights.
    >
    >Without changing the motherboard or processor (of which I don't have a
    >spare for either) is there any way of telling which is at fault? The
    >processor is only six months old so doubt it's that whereas the
    >motherboard is 3 years old. What should I look for? Everything powers
    >up ok and the fan spins on the processor, plus no smells of burning.
    >Help!

    Have you got another power supply as IMHO 80% of computer faults are due
    to this!..

    Failing that if the processor is well connected to the heatsink and the
    fans been running then I reckon the motherboard..
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Sep 12, 2007

  3. Guest

    > Have you got another power supply as IMHO 80% of computer faults are due
    > to this!..

    No. Sadly this is the only power supply I have - has failed to boot
    from cold a couple of times, but I put that down to dodgy memory
    timings. It's a 600watt unit so should be ok for Athlon 64bit X2 4200
    (or so I thought). Only other power hungry device is the graphics
    card (BFG 6600GT)

    > Failing that if the processor is well connected to the heatsink and the
    > fans been running then I reckon the motherboard..
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    , Sep 12, 2007
  4. Guest

    aha - managed to source another power supply. Don't know how powerful
    it was but tried powering up just the motherboard and processor on a
    sheet of cardboard and no luck - same as before. And this is a power
    supply that powers another system fine. So definately motherboard or
    processor. Due to the young age of the processor, I think I may just
    purchase a new board and risk the processor being ok. I'd be surprised
    if such a new processor is dead, especially since the fan powers up as
    soon as power is attached so the chances of a fried processor seem
    slim.

    Many thanks for your advice.

    , Sep 12, 2007
  5. tony sayer Guest

    In article <>,
    scribeth thus
    >aha - managed to source another power supply. Don't know how powerful
    >it was but tried powering up just the motherboard and processor on a
    >sheet of cardboard and no luck - same as before. And this is a power
    >supply that powers another system fine. So definately motherboard or
    >processor. Due to the young age of the processor, I think I may just
    >purchase a new board and risk the processor being ok. I'd be surprised
    >if such a new processor is dead, especially since the fan powers up as
    >soon as power is attached so the chances of a fried processor seem
    >slim.
    >
    >Many thanks for your advice.

    Yep try a new MB provided that you can find one thats compatible!. They
    do change 'em rather quickly the design that is!...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Sep 13, 2007
  6. JTJersey Guest

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:31:20 +0000, nmorson wrote:

    > Sorry if I'm in the wrong group but:
    >
    > I have an MSI Neo2 Platinum motherboard and Athlon 64bit X2 processor.
    > The system fails to proceed passed the four lights of death on the MSI's
    > diagnostic lights.
    >
    > Without changing the motherboard or processor (of which I don't have a
    > spare for either) is there any way of telling which is at fault? The
    > processor is only six months old so doubt it's that whereas the
    > motherboard is 3 years old. What should I look for? Everything powers up
    > ok and the fan spins on the processor, plus no smells of burning. Help!

    Look closely at the capacitors. They should all look FLAT on the top.
    Do any of them show signs of swelling or bulging?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Sep 15, 2007