    washers and, if so, where?

    Cheers in the hope of an answer

    Trevor
    Trevor Kenworthy, Jul 18, 2006

  2. Trevor Kenworthy

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Trevor Kenworthy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
    >case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers. I
    >thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
    >chassis for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be
    >using these washers and, if so, where?

    They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
    earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
    motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 18, 2006

  3. Thanks for that Dan, I would hate to please the retailer!

    Cheers

    Trevor

    Trevor Kenworthy, Jul 18, 2006
  4. "Trevor Kenworthy" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that Dan, I would hate to please the retailer!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Trevor
    >
    > "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Trevor Kenworthy" <> wrote in message
    >>>A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
    >>>case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers.
    >>>I thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
    >>>chassis for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be
    >>>using these washers and, if so, where?

    >> They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
    >> earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
    >> motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.
    >>
    >> Dan

    >> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access

    >> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

    PS I assume that is under the motherboard against the brass "standoff"
    screws?

    Cheers yet again

    Trevor
    Trevor Kenworthy, Jul 18, 2006
  5. "Trevor Kenworthy" <> wrote in message
    > "Trevor Kenworthy" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for that Dan, I would hate to please the retailer!
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Trevor
    >>
    >> "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Trevor Kenworthy" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
    >>> earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
    >>> motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    >>> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
    >>>

    > PS I assume that is under the motherboard against the brass "standoff"
    > screws?
    >
    > Cheers yet again
    >
    > Trevor

    OK I'm being really thick here and not thinking this through. If the washers
    go behind the motherboars then it would be very difficult as once you have
    one screw in place you cant get behind mobo to put the others in. and if you
    lay them all in place first they will almost certainly move out of place
    before the screws are all in place.

    Why are the simple things confusing??

    Cheers

    Trevor
    Trevor Kenworthy, Jul 18, 2006
  6. Trevor Kenworthy

    dadiOH Guest

    Trevor Kenworthy wrote:

    > Why are the simple things confusing??

    It's the government's fault :)

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Jul 18, 2006
  7. Trevor Kenworthy

    Margolotta Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:20:05 +0100, Trevor Kenworthy wrote
    (in article <>):

    > "Trevor Kenworthy" <> wrote in message
    >> "Trevor Kenworthy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for that Dan, I would hate to please the retailer!
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Trevor
    >>>
    >>> "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    >> PS I assume that is under the motherboard against the brass "standoff"
    >> screws?
    >>
    >> Cheers yet again
    >>
    >> Trevor
    >>

    > OK I'm being really thick here and not thinking this through. If the washers
    > go behind the motherboars then it would be very difficult as once you have
    > one screw in place you cant get behind mobo to put the others in. and if you
    > lay them all in place first they will almost certainly move out of place
    > before the screws are all in place.
    >
    > Why are the simple things confusing??
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Trevor

    Screw brass stand-offs into case. Place 'washer' on top of each brass
    stand-off. Place motherboard on top. Affix into stand-offs with screws. I
    wouldn't have thought it was that difficult, really. I've done it at least a
    dozen times without problems.
    Margolotta, Jul 18, 2006
  8. Trevor Kenworthy

    > PS I assume that is under the motherboard against the brass "standoff"
    > screws?

    I put the standoffs in the chassis, motherboard on the standoffs, washers
    over the holes (on the rare occasion I use them, which is only when there is
    a chance the client may take a look inside) then put the screws in. If you
    look carefully you'll see that there is no circuitry in the area, top or
    bottom, on the motherbroad. All the washers really do is soak up vibration,
    and it's debatable whether they do a good job of it given that if it were to
    work, you would need one above and one below the hole, and there are never
    enough to do that.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 18, 2006
  9. Trevor Kenworthy

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Margolotta" <> wrote in message

    > I've done it at least a
    > dozen times without problems.

    I'll bet you haven't.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 18, 2006
  10. Trevor Kenworthy

    Zitty Guest

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > "Trevor Kenworthy" <> wrote in message
    >>A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
    >>case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers. I
    >>thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
    >>chassis for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be
    >>using these washers and, if so, where?

    > They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
    > earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
    > motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.

    ???

    You've never actually fitted a motherboard have you?

    The screws are metal and therefore CONDUCTIVE.

    As soon as you screw the motherboard down you will earth the motherboard to
    the chassis regardless of having fibre washers fitted or not.
    Zitty, Jul 18, 2006
  11. Trevor Kenworthy

    Margolotta Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:06:29 +0100, Dan Evans wrote
    (in article <44bd5ce6$0$7164$>):

    > "Margolotta" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I've done it at least a
    >> dozen times without problems.

    > I'll bet you haven't.
    >
    > Dan

    Then you lose, bucko. This is the way I was taught to do it by a friend who
    runs his own company building PCs and, if it didn't work that way, his
    company wouldn't have just celebrated its 15th anniversary, now would it?
    Margolotta, Jul 18, 2006
  12. Trevor Kenworthy

    Zitty Guest

    > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:06:29 +0100, Dan Evans wrote
    > (in article <44bd5ce6$0$7164$>):
    >

    >> "Margolotta" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I've done it at least a
    >>> dozen times without problems.

    >> I'll bet you haven't.
    >>
    >> Dan
    >>

    > Then you lose, bucko. This is the way I was taught to do it by a friend
    > who
    > runs his own company building PCs and, if it didn't work that way, his
    > company wouldn't have just celebrated its 15th anniversary, now would it?

    Ahhh - your its your friend who's responsible when I have to fix systems
    where the PCI and AGP cards keep popping out of the slots because some idiot
    has fitted the washers *underneath* the motherboard and made the board sit
    slightly too high in the case for the cards to slot down completely and be
    held firmly by the screw to the case...

    I know who to complain to now...:)
    Zitty, Jul 18, 2006
  13. Trevor Kenworthy

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-18, Trevor Kenworthy <> wrote:
    > A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
    > case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers. I
    > thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the chassis
    > for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be using these
    > washers and, if so, where?
    >
    > Cheers in the hope of an answer

    To precis the results of this thread, 'everybody's wrong'.

    I suggest you look at a few of the websites that offer help to 'build your
    own computer' and see if there is a useful concensus. There might even be
    some instructions with the motherboard or the case.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 19, 2006
  14. "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-18, Trevor Kenworthy <> wrote:
    >> A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
    >> case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers.
    >> thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
    >> chassis
    >> for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be using
    >> these
    >> washers and, if so, where?
    >>
    >> Cheers in the hope of an answer

    > To precis the results of this thread, 'everybody's wrong'.
    >
    > I suggest you look at a few of the websites that offer help to 'build your
    > own computer' and see if there is a useful concensus. There might even be
    > some instructions with the motherboard or the case.
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    Well you would be sadly mistaken, no hints, instructions or anything to give
    a clue. I hesitate to say this but, if there were intructions I would not be
    here now seeking advice!

    Cheers

    Trevor
    Trevor Kenworthy, Jul 19, 2006
  15. Trevor Kenworthy

    > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:06:29 +0100, Dan Evans wrote
    > (in article <44bd5ce6$0$7164$>):
    >

    >> "Margolotta" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I've done it at least a
    >>> dozen times without problems.

    >> I'll bet you haven't.
    >>
    >> Dan
    >>

    > Then you lose, bucko. This is the way I was taught to do it by a friend
    > who
    > runs his own company building PCs and, if it didn't work that way, his
    > company wouldn't have just celebrated its 15th anniversary, now would it?

    I wasn't doubting the way it's been done, just that you'd done it a dozen
    times.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 19, 2006
  16. Trevor Kenworthy

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Zitty" <moc.dlrowltn@esuba> wrote in message

    > "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    >> They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
    >> earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
    >> motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.

    > ???
    >
    > You've never actually fitted a motherboard have you?

    Um, on average between 2 and 3 a week for the past 6 years or so.

    > The screws are metal and therefore CONDUCTIVE.

    Not much ges past you

    > As soon as you screw the motherboard down you will earth the motherboard
    > to the chassis regardless of having fibre washers fitted or not.

    Are you telling me that the whole of the motherboard is conductive? Last I
    checked, and I've got 5 here waiting to be mounted so I can check again if
    you like, they're not. The mounting holes are isolated from everything else.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 19, 2006
  17. Trevor Kenworthy

    Name Guest

    >A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
    >case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers. I
    >thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
    >chassis for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be
    >using these washers and, if so, where?
    >
    > Cheers in the hope of an answer
    >
    > Trevor

    ** They go on top of the mobo. The washers are there to protect the mobo
    when tighten it down as not to scar the board. Traces (the little lines
    running all through the board) can be easily damaged by a screw head
    gouging/cutting into it. Another poster mentioned their friend had been
    doing this for 15 years but I have been doing it for 20 plus. Therefore,
    whatever works best for you but it does rise the board a bit and can cause
    card mounting situations. As another poster mentioned the metal screw goes
    into the metal post that screws into the metal case. Therefore all are
    earthed.

    Good luck!
    Name, Jul 19, 2006
  18. Trevor Kenworthy

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Name" <> wrote in message

    > As another poster mentioned the metal screw goes into the metal post that
    > screws into the metal case. Therefore all are earthed.

    I just did a few continuity tests on a couple three actually) of boards,
    just for giggles. So far, I haven't got a tone between the area where the
    screw head touches, and any other area. At all. On any board. With *any* of
    the holes.

    Boards tested:
    QDI Platinix 2PE/800 serial 38069081
    Asus CUV4XM serial 052018-M6PC21-A01-00338
    Biostar M7NCD serial 3003K33970242

    A good selection of age/manufacturer, I think you'll agree.

    Please could someone *please* tell me how the motherboard earths with no
    electrical continuity, 'cos I'm dying to know.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 19, 2006
  19. Trevor Kenworthy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:
    > "Zitty" <moc.dlrowltn@esuba> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    >>> They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting
    >>> screws. Any earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try
    >>> earthing the motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank
    >>> you.

    >> ???
    >>
    >> You've never actually fitted a motherboard have you?

    > Um, on average between 2 and 3 a week for the past 6 years or so.
    >
    >> The screws are metal and therefore CONDUCTIVE.

    > Not much ges past you
    >
    >> As soon as you screw the motherboard down you will earth the
    >> motherboard to the chassis regardless of having fibre washers fitted
    >> or not.

    > Are you telling me that the whole of the motherboard is conductive?
    > Last I checked, and I've got 5 here waiting to be mounted so I can
    > check again if you like, they're not. The mounting holes are isolated
    > from everything else.

    Heh heh!

    I only use the washers if I see the possibility that the screw head could
    overlap the isolation and short out the board.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 19, 2006
  20. Trevor Kenworthy

    Paul Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:

    > The mounting holes are isolated from everything else.

    I'd get yourself a multimeter and check that before making stupid
    statements.
    Paul, Jul 19, 2006