    How can I find my motherboard model?
    How do I know the MHz required for the memory?

    Thanks!

    stasha, Feb 24, 2004

  2. stasha

    ICee Guest

    stasha wrote:
    > I few days ago, I needed help finding the model of my memory board in
    > order to get the right type of memory. Someone suggested I download
    > Aida32, but when I run it, my pc freezes when the program scans PCI.
    > I've tried downloading the program from 3 different sites, but all
    > freeze. Does anyone have another alternatives for me to find the
    > info I need? I'm desperate for more memory since my pc is so slow,
    > but I don't have the information I need to give the salesman (mHz...)
    >
    > How can I find my motherboard model?
    > How do I know the MHz required for the memory?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Try Belarc Advisor. It's free also and will list the motherboard info:

    ICee, Feb 24, 2004

  3. stasha

    stasha Guest

    Thanks! The program works fine. Under system model, though, it says "no
    details available". When the salesman asks me for the MHz, do I give him
    the one for my processor (which is 300MHZ Intel Pentium II, actording to
    Belarc)?, or do I have to find the motherboard model?
    Sorry for sounding so clueless...

    stasha, Feb 24, 2004
  4. stasha

    ICee Guest

    stasha wrote:
    > Thanks! The program works fine. Under system model, though, it says
    > "no details available". When the salesman asks me for the MHz, do I
    > give him the one for my processor (which is 300MHZ Intel Pentium II,
    > actording to Belarc)?, or do I have to find the motherboard model?
    > Sorry for sounding so clueless...

    The CPU name & speed isn't going to help. You need the motherboard make
    and model, which should be right under "System Model", listed as "Main
    Circuit Board". If there's nothing there, you will need to shut the
    system down, pull one of the memory modules, and see if there's anything
    on it that may help identify what it is.

    ICee, Feb 24, 2004
  5. stasha

    br1ght Guest

    "stasha" <> wrote :
    > When the salesman asks me for the MHz, do I give him
    > the one for my processor (which is 300MHZ Intel

    Pentium II, actording to
    > Belarc)?, or do I have to find the motherboard model?
    > Sorry for sounding so clueless...

    No, you need to know the speed (MHz) of the memory
    stick you require. Therefore, you either need to be
    able to read and digest the info on an existing memory
    stick (assuming it is on the stick-about a 50/50
    chance) or you need to know the motherboard make and
    model to be able to track down the required memory
    speed...

    The good news is that with a P2 you have only 2*
    choices for memory:
    1) 72 pin EDO in which you will have either 2 identical
    sticks side by side or 4 which means stick 1&2 same/
    stick 3&4 the same but sets can be different eg 16 meg
    & 16 meg , 8 meg & 8 meg. There are 3 different speeds
    (50, 60 & 70 ns) but for the most part you can count on
    it being 60ns due to the age of machine. The stick
    should measure about 1x41/4" (don't measure for my
    accuracy, I'm using my mind's eye and haven't seen EDO
    in a couple years)
    2) SDRAM in which you likely only have 1 stick
    (possibly 2) and there is likely only 3 slots total
    (some boards only 2). There are different speeds (66,
    pc100, 133) but most likely yours is 66 again due to
    the age of machine. There are two different size of
    sticks 144pin and 168 pin. The easy way to tell the
    difference is to pull a stick look for the key grove(s)
    on the edge that inserts into the slot-1 keygrove=144
    pin , 2 key groves=168 pin. 144 pin is fairly rare.

    There are sticks that have an ECC (error correcting
    code) chip which unless you ordered the original memory
    specially with ECC, you won't have it. Also there are
    different CL (CAS) ratings. Again, unless you ordered a
    CAS 2 (or 2.5) you'll have CAS 3.

    BTW, the easiest, but most costly, way to be relatively
    sure of getting the right memory is to take the
    stick(s) to a computer shop and have a tech match
    them... If you do so, make sure you know which came
    from where in case you have 72 pin EDO (matched sets),
    so you can put them in as sets...

    crucial.com has a lot of info (actually too much) and
    some good pix you can compare to... I hope this was of
    some help.
    --
    br1ght

    br1ght, Feb 24, 2004
  6. stasha

    Billy Guest

    When your computer is starting, watch for a string of numbers and
    letters to appear in the lower left corner of the screen, tap the
    Pause/Break key. Write down the numbers, tap the space bar to continue.
    Then go to a site like, http://www.wimsbios.com and look up the info you
    need.
    Should look something like this.
    09/02/96-i440FX-PIXP6NP5C-00

    Billy, Feb 24, 2004
  7. stasha

    TT Guest

    TT, Feb 24, 2004
  8. stasha wrote:

    > Thanks! The program works fine. Under system model, though, it says "no
    > details available". When the salesman asks me for the MHz, do I give him
    > the one for my processor (which is 300MHZ Intel Pentium II, actording to
    > Belarc)?, or do I have to find the motherboard model?
    > Sorry for sounding so clueless...

    Here's a simple idea. Unplug the pc. Open the case, count the number of
    memory modules present and of free slots. Take out one module, put it in
    a static free baggy or a plain paper envelope and take it to the shop
    with you.

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands