Motherboard general question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jimmy Sledge, Mar 9, 2007.

  1. Jimmy Sledge

    Jimmy Sledge Guest

    Hello,

    As a requirement of my job (cable guy) I am required to take tests to
    prove my job knowledge.. Recently, I took a test that had the question
    below in it... Im just curious to know what computer users think about
    this question, and what, if any, answer you consider correct:

    I answered D as a best guess to a question and answer that I consider
    there to be no good answer to. The CORRECT answer to this question
    according to my supervisors is C.. What do you think?

    I appreciate any replies.

    Jimmy

    Question and answers follow:

    Among the different functions of a computer's motherboard,

    A. The bus is temporary information storage that is either static or
    dynamic.

    B. Random access memory (RAM) circuit boards are the plug-in
    connections inside the computer on the motherboard.

    C. The central processing unit (CPU) is a powerful microprocessor that
    represents the brain of the computer.

    D. The basic input-output system (BIOS) is usually contained on a
    single silicon chip and is the motherboard's major componenet that
    executes software instructions and performs arithmetic operations for
    the computer's operating system.

    E. Expansion slots are grooves in the circuit board that allow the
    internal components to expand when overheated.

    Jimmy Sledge, Mar 9, 2007

  2. Jimmy Sledge

    Pen Guest

    Jimmy Sledge wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > As a requirement of my job (cable guy) I am required to take tests to
    > prove my job knowledge.. Recently, I took a test that had the question
    > below in it... Im just curious to know what computer users think about
    > this question, and what, if any, answer you consider correct:
    >
    > I answered D as a best guess to a question and answer that I consider
    > there to be no good answer to. The CORRECT answer to this question
    > according to my supervisors is C.. What do you think?
    >
    > I appreciate any replies.
    >
    > Jimmy
    >

    > Question and answers follow:
    >
    > Among the different functions of a computer's motherboard,
    >
    > A. The bus is temporary information storage that is either static or
    > dynamic.
    >
    > B. Random access memory (RAM) circuit boards are the plug-in
    > connections inside the computer on the motherboard.
    >
    > C. The central processing unit (CPU) is a powerful microprocessor that
    > represents the brain of the computer.
    >
    > D. The basic input-output system (BIOS) is usually contained on a
    > single silicon chip and is the motherboard's major componenet that
    > executes software instructions and performs arithmetic operations for
    > the computer's operating system.
    >
    > E. Expansion slots are grooves in the circuit board that allow the
    > internal components to expand when overheated.

    Your supervisors are correct. D is clearly NOT. Actually all the
    incorrect answers are patently false.

    Pen, Mar 9, 2007

  3. Jimmy Sledge

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Jimmy Sledge
    <> writes
    >Hello,
    >
    >As a requirement of my job (cable guy) I am required to take tests to
    >prove my job knowledge.. Recently, I took a test that had the question
    >below in it... Im just curious to know what computer users think about
    >this question, and what, if any, answer you consider correct:
    >
    >I answered D as a best guess to a question and answer that I consider
    >there to be no good answer to. The CORRECT answer to this question
    >according to my supervisors is C.. What do you think?
    >
    >I appreciate any replies.
    >
    >Jimmy
    >

    >Question and answers follow:
    >
    >Among the different functions of a computer's motherboard,
    >
    >A. The bus is temporary information storage that is either static or
    >dynamic.
    >
    >B. Random access memory (RAM) circuit boards are the plug-in
    >connections inside the computer on the motherboard.
    >
    >C. The central processing unit (CPU) is a powerful microprocessor that
    >represents the brain of the computer.
    >
    >D. The basic input-output system (BIOS) is usually contained on a
    >single silicon chip and is the motherboard's major componenet that
    >executes software instructions and performs arithmetic operations for
    >the computer's operating system.
    >
    >E. Expansion slots are grooves in the circuit board that allow the
    >internal components to expand when overheated.

    Not that well written questions IMHO......
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Mar 9, 2007
  4. Jimmy Sledge

    Jimmy Sledge Guest

    On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:14:50 -0500, Pen
    <> wrote:

    >Jimmy Sledge wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> As a requirement of my job (cable guy) I am required to take tests to
    >> prove my job knowledge.. Recently, I took a test that had the question
    >> below in it... Im just curious to know what computer users think about
    >> this question, and what, if any, answer you consider correct:
    >>
    >> I answered D as a best guess to a question and answer that I consider
    >> there to be no good answer to. The CORRECT answer to this question
    >> according to my supervisors is C.. What do you think?
    >>
    >> I appreciate any replies.
    >>
    >> Jimmy
    >>

    >> Question and answers follow:
    >>
    >> Among the different functions of a computer's motherboard,
    >>
    >> A. The bus is temporary information storage that is either static or
    >> dynamic.
    >>
    >> B. Random access memory (RAM) circuit boards are the plug-in
    >> connections inside the computer on the motherboard.
    >>
    >> C. The central processing unit (CPU) is a powerful microprocessor that
    >> represents the brain of the computer.
    >>
    >> D. The basic input-output system (BIOS) is usually contained on a
    >> single silicon chip and is the motherboard's major componenet that
    >> executes software instructions and performs arithmetic operations for
    >> the computer's operating system.
    >>
    >> E. Expansion slots are grooves in the circuit board that allow the
    >> internal components to expand when overheated.
    >>

    >Your supervisors are correct. D is clearly NOT. Actually all the
    >incorrect answers are patently false.

    Yes, D is not the correct answer as the BIOS (as far as I know) does
    not perform arithmetic operations. That function is clearly that of
    the processor. But my problem with this question (it was written by
    NCTI) is that C being the correct answer seems to suggest the
    processor is PART of the motherboard, which it clearly isnt. No more
    so than the video adapter, RAM or expansion slots.

    Is my reasoing here at least sound?

    And thanks for the replies

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Sledge, Mar 9, 2007
  5. Jimmy Sledge

    Pen Guest

    Jimmy Sledge wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:14:50 -0500, Pen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jimmy Sledge wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> As a requirement of my job (cable guy) I am required to take tests to
    >>> prove my job knowledge.. Recently, I took a test that had the question
    >>> below in it... Im just curious to know what computer users think about
    >>> this question, and what, if any, answer you consider correct:
    >>>
    >>> I answered D as a best guess to a question and answer that I consider
    >>> there to be no good answer to. The CORRECT answer to this question
    >>> according to my supervisors is C.. What do you think?
    >>>
    >>> I appreciate any replies.
    >>>
    >>> Jimmy
    >>>

    >>> Question and answers follow:
    >>>
    >>> Among the different functions of a computer's motherboard,
    >>>
    >>> A. The bus is temporary information storage that is either static or
    >>> dynamic.
    >>>
    >>> B. Random access memory (RAM) circuit boards are the plug-in
    >>> connections inside the computer on the motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> C. The central processing unit (CPU) is a powerful microprocessor that
    >>> represents the brain of the computer.
    >>>
    >>> D. The basic input-output system (BIOS) is usually contained on a
    >>> single silicon chip and is the motherboard's major componenet that
    >>> executes software instructions and performs arithmetic operations for
    >>> the computer's operating system.
    >>>
    >>> E. Expansion slots are grooves in the circuit board that allow the
    >>> internal components to expand when overheated.
    >>>

    >> Your supervisors are correct. D is clearly NOT. Actually all the
    >> incorrect answers are patently false.

    > Yes, D is not the correct answer as the BIOS (as far as I know) does
    > not perform arithmetic operations. That function is clearly that of
    > the processor. But my problem with this question (it was written by
    > NCTI) is that C being the correct answer seems to suggest the
    > processor is PART of the motherboard, which it clearly isnt. No more
    > so than the video adapter, RAM or expansion slots.
    >
    > Is my reasoing here at least sound?
    >
    > And thanks for the replies
    >
    > Jimmy

    I think you're reading way too much into the question. Perhaps
    *found on* or *supports* instead of *of* would make the question
    clearer, but all the other answers refer to things that plug into the
    motherboard also.

    Pen, Mar 9, 2007
  6. Jimmy Sledge

    Chris Guest

    "tony sayer" >

    wrote . . .

    > Not that well written questions IMHO......

    I agree. In one of my research classes we spent a short time on how to ask a
    good question vs. a bad one. One of the rules states that if the question it
    self is not clearly stated, in reference to the range of possible answers,
    then the question is bad. It leaves too much open to interpretation as to
    exactly what is being asked. This question is asking about the "functions"
    of the motherboard while the possible answers are all offering ideas about
    the functions of the "components" on a motherboard. I would have failed my
    class if I came out of it writing questions like this.

    >Among the different functions of a computer's motherboard,
    >
    >A. The bus is temporary information storage that is either static or
    >dynamic.

    The bus is "a component" of the motherboard - not a "function" of the
    motherboard.
    Providing a bus would be a "function" of a motherboard.

    >B. Random access memory (RAM) circuit boards are the plug-in
    >connections inside the computer on the motherboard.

    RAM is "a component" of the motherboard - not a "function" of the
    motherboard.

    >C. The central processing unit (CPU) is a powerful microprocessor that
    >represents the brain of the computer.

    The CPU is "a component" of the motherboard - not a "function" of the
    motherboard.

    >D. The basic input-output system (BIOS) is usually contained on a
    >single silicon chip and is the motherboard's major component that
    >executes software instructions and performs arithmetic operations for
    >the computer's operating system.

    The BIOS is "a component" of the motherboard - not a "function" of the
    motherboard.

    >E. Expansion slots are grooves in the circuit board that allow the
    >internal components to expand when overheated.

    Expansion slots "are components" of a motherboard - not a "function" of the
    motherboard.

    While "C." is, for the most part, a correct "statement" it is not a correct
    answer to the question that was asked.

    To be a valid question, at least one answer would have to be about the
    "functions" of the "motherboard" and in this case NONE of them are.

    A correct answer to the question as asked would be something like . . .

    F. none of the above.
    or
    C. its primary function is the control of the flow of data through out a
    personal computer.

    A better question for the answers provided would be something like . . .

    When considering the various aspects of personal computer hardware, which
    statement is the most accurate?

    Unfortunately, as a society we are becoming more and more dependent upon
    tests like this to prove our knowledge of a given topic(just look at the
    MCSE, CCIE or A+) but, there seems to be little if any safeguards to insure
    that the tests them selves can prove accurately just how knowledgeable a
    person is on a given subject. It seems like the tests are most often written
    by people who, them self's, could not pass them if they were written
    correctly and accurately. Writing a test that can assess a persons knowledge
    accurately is a skill that takes a LOOOONG time to hone. It requires the
    writer to know MUCH, MUCH more than the test taker and it requires the
    writer to know how to write questions that DO have at least one correct
    answer. It requires someone to be able to look at the question and interpret
    it from MANY different view points and adjust the questions / answers to
    accommodate all possible interpretations of that question. It requires a
    person who can think! However, a lot of the tests now-a-days seem to be
    written by someone who follows the idiom of, "those who can't do, teach" or
    those who's noses are brown enough to make the UPS brown look like, "a
    lighter shade of gray."

    Just my 00000010 bits worth.

    Chris, Mar 10, 2007
  7. Jimmy Sledge

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jimmy Sledge wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > As a requirement of my job (cable guy) I am required to take tests to
    > prove my job knowledge.. Recently, I took a test that had the question
    > below in it... Im just curious to know what computer users think about
    > this question, and what, if any, answer you consider correct:
    >
    > I answered D as a best guess to a question and answer that I consider
    > there to be no good answer to. The CORRECT answer to this question
    > according to my supervisors is C.. What do you think?
    >
    > I appreciate any replies.
    >
    > Jimmy
    >

    > Question and answers follow:
    >
    > Among the different functions of a computer's motherboard,
    >
    > A. The bus is temporary information storage that is either static or
    > dynamic.
    >
    > B. Random access memory (RAM) circuit boards are the plug-in
    > connections inside the computer on the motherboard.
    >
    > C. The central processing unit (CPU) is a powerful microprocessor that
    > represents the brain of the computer.
    >
    > D. The basic input-output system (BIOS) is usually contained on a
    > single silicon chip and is the motherboard's major componenet that
    > executes software instructions and performs arithmetic operations for
    > the computer's operating system.
    >
    > E. Expansion slots are grooves in the circuit board that allow the
    > internal components to expand when overheated.

    The BIOS has instructions, it does not and cannot execute them; that
    is the "job" and purpose of the CPU.
    "C" is the most correct.

    Robert Baer, Mar 10, 2007
  8. Jimmy Sledge

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jimmy Sledge wrote:

    > On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:14:50 -0500, Pen
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Jimmy Sledge wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>As a requirement of my job (cable guy) I am required to take tests to
    >>>prove my job knowledge.. Recently, I took a test that had the question
    >>>below in it... Im just curious to know what computer users think about
    >>>this question, and what, if any, answer you consider correct:
    >>>
    >>>I answered D as a best guess to a question and answer that I consider
    >>>there to be no good answer to. The CORRECT answer to this question
    >>>according to my supervisors is C.. What do you think?
    >>>
    >>>I appreciate any replies.
    >>>
    >>>Jimmy
    >>>

    >>>Question and answers follow:
    >>>
    >>>Among the different functions of a computer's motherboard,
    >>>
    >>>A. The bus is temporary information storage that is either static or
    >>>dynamic.
    >>>
    >>>B. Random access memory (RAM) circuit boards are the plug-in
    >>>connections inside the computer on the motherboard.
    >>>
    >>>C. The central processing unit (CPU) is a powerful microprocessor that
    >>>represents the brain of the computer.
    >>>
    >>>D. The basic input-output system (BIOS) is usually contained on a
    >>>single silicon chip and is the motherboard's major componenet that
    >>>executes software instructions and performs arithmetic operations for
    >>>the computer's operating system.
    >>>
    >>>E. Expansion slots are grooves in the circuit board that allow the
    >>>internal components to expand when overheated.
    >>>

    >>Your supervisors are correct. D is clearly NOT. Actually all the
    >>incorrect answers are patently false.

    > Yes, D is not the correct answer as the BIOS (as far as I know) does
    > not perform arithmetic operations. That function is clearly that of
    > the processor. But my problem with this question (it was written by
    > NCTI) is that C being the correct answer seems to suggest the
    > processor is PART of the motherboard, which it clearly isnt. No more
    > so than the video adapter, RAM or expansion slots.
    >
    > Is my reasoing here at least sound?
    >
    > And thanks for the replies
    >
    > Jimmy

    Correct.
    However, many questions in most tests are crappy that way with some
    "questions" so bad that they are not questions, and all of the "answers"
    may be totally non-sequiter.
    In that case, i refuse to choose any and piss on themif that is
    counted as a negative more so than a wrong answer.
    And i let the test makers know in no uncertain words that those
    "questions" are sh*t and why.

    Robert Baer, Mar 10, 2007
  9. Jimmy Sledge

    Robert Baer Guest

    Chris wrote:

> [...]

    > by people who, them self's, could not pass them if they were written
    > correctly and accurately. Writing a test that can assess a persons knowledge
    > accurately is a skill that takes a LOOOONG time to hone. It requires the
    > writer to know MUCH, MUCH more than the test taker and it requires the
    > writer to know how to write questions that DO have at least one correct
    > answer. It requires someone to be able to look at the question and interpret
    > it from MANY different view points and adjust the questions / answers to
    > accommodate all possible interpretations of that question. It requires a
    > person who can think! However, a lot of the tests now-a-days seem to be
    > written by someone who follows the idiom of, "those who can't do, teach" or
    > those who's noses are brown enough to make the UPS brown look like, "a

    Unfortunately, you are correct.

    Robert Baer, Mar 10, 2007