    Is this problem cause by my power supply or is it just the fan attached to it?

    I guess what I am trying to ask is do I need to replace my power supply fan or power supply soon?

    Thanks,
    guddu, May 4, 2008

  2. guddu

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Hi guddu,

    If a fan has become noisy, then you should definitely replace the fan. Most computers are no longer ambient cooled. Without the fan, the device that relies on the fan will almost certainly meet a soon death.

    Now on to which fan... A fan on your motherboard? You mean on your CPU? Then definitely replace the fan, post haste. I've had and watched many CPUs fry because of a $5 fan.

    Is the fan on your power supply? If you mean the fan in your power supply, then just replace the fan. There is no real reason to replace the power supply. That said, if you are able to buy a power supply for the same price as a fan, then replace the whole unit. I've seen power supplies as low as $10. The hassle of replacing the fan just isn't worth it.

    Cheers,
    --Mark

    http://www.marksatterfield.com
    Last edited: May 8, 2008