    motherboard is installed?
    TIA
    Phil

    pp, Aug 21, 2007

  2. pp

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "pp" <> wrote in message
    news:scGyi.81026$...
    > Hi
    >
    > My friends motherboard has failed and she wants to know if there's a way
    > of saving her data when a new motherboard is installed. I've been told
    > that so long as the new motherboard is exactly the same as the failed one
    > she should be able to save her data.

    Not needed. I would take the drive out of her PC, put it in another, recover
    the data before doing ANYTHING else.

    > However, I've also been told that if the new m/board isn't the same then
    > she will not be able to save her dat as the m/boards chipset won't
    > recognise her hard drive.

    Extremely unlikely. I've not run into a motherboard in over 10 years that
    couldn't identify an older drive correctly. But the bigger issue is "will
    Windows run"? (I'm assuming Windows, as the OS wasn't mentioned.)

    > She has access to another computer so would it be possible to somehow save
    > her data onto the second computer and then get that data back on her own
    > machine once the new motherboard is installed?

    As mentioned above, that's exactly what I'd do. If it's a PATA IDE (flat
    ribbon cable) I'd unplug the CD drive, and put that hard drive on that
    cable, change any settings (jumpers, BIOS, etc.) needed, then copy the data.
    Things to check: email, documents, music, pictures, address book, etc.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 21, 2007

  3. pp

    old man Guest

    You install the new mobo then do a repair installation of win & install the
    new drivers
    This doesnt impact on data

    old man, Aug 21, 2007
  4. pp

    Guest

    "pp" <> wrote:

    >I've also been told that if the new
    >m/board isn't the same then she will not be able to save her dat as the
    >m/boards chipset won't recognise her hard drive.

    Someone lied to you.

    --

    We're back!
    http://suprnova.org/

    , Aug 22, 2007
  5. pp

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Call me anal, but I'd do a backup first anyway <g>

    WhzzKdd, Aug 22, 2007
  6. pp

    Grada Guest

    pp wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > My friends motherboard has failed and she wants to know if there's a way of
    > saving her data when a new motherboard is installed. I've been told that so
    > long as the new motherboard is exactly the same as the failed one she should
    > be able to save her data. However, I've also been told that if the new
    > m/board isn't the same then she will not be able to save her dat as the
    > m/boards chipset won't recognise her hard drive. She has access to another
    > computer so would it be possible to somehow save her data onto the second
    > computer and then get that data back on her own machine once the new
    > motherboard is installed?
    > TIA
    > Phil

    Hi Phil

    If the hard drive is an IDE hard drive, the data should be retrievable.
    If the drive is a SATA it may be possible, providing the motherboard
    chipset is the same manufacturer, but preferably the same version.

    Whichever way it is, if the bios can see the drive, you have a chance.

    I will describe the process for windows XP, as this is the operating
    system I have done this with. It may give you enough pointers for yours.

    Note this requires an actual Window Install CD, not a "recovery" CD like
    supplied with name brand machines like Acer, Compaq, etc.

    Boot of the CD, and go through the normal steps to install the operating
    system, up until where to install to. When you pick the drive /
    partition of the previous installation, it should give you a choice to
    repair the previous installation. Choose this option and Windows will
    rebuild the device driver section only. Once this is done, all data
    should be there, intact and accessible.

    Cheer
    Dave

    Grada, Aug 24, 2007