motherboard, cpu and ram - replacement suggestions?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robb, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. Robb

    Robb Guest

    I have an intel (something -15 maybe 815?) motherboard that only
    supports 512 MB ram, and a max 1ghz P-3. I need to update the board
    for one with a beefier CPU and more ram. My question is "replace it with
    what"? (Oh yeah, USB 1.0, and onboard video which I don't use, it has
    an AGP slot).

    Here's the setup, it's running Win '03 server and a copy of my mail server
    and does DNS. Pretty lightweight work, not counting the crap I do on it, but
    it's slow - the machine still works fine - it's just slow and outta date. I'm
    also replacing the PSU for a higher capacity one, and upgrading the video
    card, then the drive(s). I'm looking at an OS transplant though, and I'm not
    absolutely counting on the OS to survive new hardware detection, it would
    be nice if it does. I haven't kept up with motherboards, but IME it seems
    like doing a framework change works better if you use the same company's
    chipset's. Going from a 99 - 00 year model to '07 is probably going to FUBAR
    all over.. but I'll need a board to prove that. ;)

    Suggestions?

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Mar 11, 2007

  2. Robb

    Mike Easter Guest

    Robb wrote:
    > I have an intel (something -15 maybe 815?) motherboard that only
    > supports 512 MB ram, and a max 1ghz P-3. I need to update the board
    > for one with a beefier CPU and more ram. My question is "replace it
    > with what"? (Oh yeah, USB 1.0, and onboard video which I don't use,
    > it has
    > an AGP slot).
    >
    > Here's the setup, it's running Win '03 server and a copy of my mail
    > server and does DNS. Pretty lightweight work, not counting the crap
    > I do on it, but it's slow - the machine still works fine - it's just
    > slow and outta date. I'm also replacing the PSU for a higher capacity
    > one, and upgrading the video card, then the drive(s). I'm looking at
    > an OS transplant though, and I'm not absolutely counting on the OS to
    > survive new hardware detection, it would
    > be nice if it does. I haven't kept up with motherboards, but IME it
    > seems like doing a framework change works better if you use the same
    > company's chipset's. Going from a 99 - 00 year model to '07 is
    > probably going to FUBAR all over.. but I'll need a board to prove
    > that. ;)

    IMO you need to revamp your software strategy, from the OS up. The
    business about having a Win 03 server facing the internet is a very very
    very insecure condition. The only software functions you have named are
    all server related, and that type of work would be done more efficiently
    and securely with a linux distro, presumably one which was selected for
    that specific purpose.

    Altho' you haven't defined any desktop parameters, it seems to me like
    the current old mobo/cpu/ram + old video + old hdd might be converted
    over to a headless linux firewall/server box and then you decide what
    kind of desktop machine you are going to buy with newer mobo/cpu/ram +
    newvideo + newhdd and what kind of OS you are going to run in there.
    Personally I would consider something besides Win, but that depends on
    your preferences and whether or not you can get a good deal buying new
    hardware without Vista installed. If your best deal comes with Vista, I
    would buy that and then start getting familiar with the linux distros,
    because a linux distro is what should be on that headless server
    machine.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 11, 2007

  3. Robb

    Robb Guest

    "Mike Easter" wrote:
    <snip>
    >IMO you need to revamp your software strategy, from the OS up. The
    >business about having a Win 03 server facing the internet is a very very
    >very insecure condition. The only software functions you have named are
    >all server related [...]

    Heh. It is a server - it run's "a copy" of the primary mail service and some
    DNS. It's been in action since the mainboard board was released, which
    arrived as a "gift" from intel. I should have sent it back for mice.

    >[...] , and that type of work would be done more efficientlyand securely with
    >a linux distro, presumably one which was selected for that specific purpose.

    I have Debian boxen - the win-server is staying a win-server, behind
    (what) it's behind.
    >Altho' you haven't defined any desktop parameters, it seems to me like
    >the current old mobo/cpu/ram + old video + old hdd might be converted
    >over to a headless linux firewall/server box and then you decide what
    >kind of desktop machine you are going to buy with newer mobo/cpu/ram +
    >newvideo + newhdd and what kind of OS you are going to run in there.

    I don't have any use for the old mobo or periphs once a new board is
    transplanted. I mainly need tips navigating the many new flavors of
    alphabet soup in respect to chipset's, bridges, ram, ect., and which
    boards/cpu's work well - compared to others for what the machine is
    currently setup for. Can't add memory, or upgrade the current CPU
    and the onboard USB sucks. It had (two) USB2 controllers added, and
    one failed. I haven't been satisfied with USB since then, and that
    machine has had *many* lightning strikes really close by. I don't put
    much stock in it surviving spring/summer storms. I don't want or need
    a board with SLI or a boatload of trifling, built-in extras targeted at
    gamers. Guess I should have made that more clear, if it wasn't. Look
    at this as a rescue conversion for a year maybe...certainly not three.

    >Personally I would consider something besides Win, but that depends on
    >your preferences and whether or not you can get a good deal buying new
    >hardware without Vista installed. If your best deal comes with Vista, I
    >would buy that and then start getting familiar with the linux distros,
    >because a linux distro is what should be on that headless server
    >machine.

    I have zero use for Vista. This is probably the last MS system I'll have. I'm
    just looking for "a good fit" to replace a tired and limited board. AFAIK a
    decent quality, open-market motherboard doesn't care which OS is on disk.

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Mar 11, 2007
  4. Robb

    philo Guest

    "Robb" <> wrote in message
    > I have an intel (something -15 maybe 815?) motherboard that only
    > supports 512 MB ram, and a max 1ghz P-3. I need to update the board
    > for one with a beefier CPU and more ram. My question is "replace it with
    > what"? (Oh yeah, USB 1.0, and onboard video which I don't use, it has
    > an AGP slot).

    <snip>

    If you want to go with a dual core CPU have a look at the Asus P5N-E

    philo, Mar 11, 2007
  5. Robb

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Robb" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an intel (something -15 maybe 815?) motherboard that only
    >> supports 512 MB ram, and a max 1ghz P-3. I need to update the board
    >> for one with a beefier CPU and more ram. My question is "replace it with
    >> what"? (Oh yeah, USB 1.0, and onboard video which I don't use, it has
    >> an AGP slot).
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > If you want to go with a dual core CPU have a look at the Asus P5N-E

    Yeah - I don't comprehend his backward method of approaching this.
    Typically, I'd decide on what CPU and RAM configuration I need for the
    software I intend to run, then start looking at hardware that will do what I
    want. I'm currently shopping for a laptop, and my biggest question is "will
    this CPU still handle what I want to do in 2 or 3 years". So I've not
    bothered looking at anything with a Sempron or Celeron processor. And if the
    RAM is maxed out at 2Gig, then I'm a bit worried. In three years, who knows
    how much more "software bloat" will have occurred.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 11, 2007
  6. Robb

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > > If you want to go with a dual core CPU have a look at the Asus P5N-E
    > >

    > Yeah - I don't comprehend his backward method of approaching this.
    > Typically, I'd decide on what CPU and RAM configuration I need for the
    > software I intend to run, then start looking at hardware that will do what

    > want. I'm currently shopping for a laptop, and my biggest question is

    "will
    > this CPU still handle what I want to do in 2 or 3 years". So I've not
    > bothered looking at anything with a Sempron or Celeron processor. And if

    the
    > RAM is maxed out at 2Gig, then I'm a bit worried. In three years, who

    knows
    > how much more "software bloat" will have occurred.

    Though it goes without saying...that whatever you get today will soon be
    obsolete....
    the mobo I mentioned looks like it should be good for a few years at
    least...
    it can support quad-core and a lot of ram.
    I actually talked a friend of mine to get that one so I can have his old
    mobo...
    Most any old junk is ok for me...but now i wanted some high-end junk :)

    philo, Mar 11, 2007
  7. Robb

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >> >
    >> > If you want to go with a dual core CPU have a look at the Asus P5N-E
    >> >

    >> Yeah - I don't comprehend his backward method of approaching this.
    >> Typically, I'd decide on what CPU and RAM configuration I need for the
    >> software I intend to run, then start looking at hardware that will do
    >> what

    >> want. I'm currently shopping for a laptop, and my biggest question is

    > "will
    >> this CPU still handle what I want to do in 2 or 3 years". So I've not
    >> bothered looking at anything with a Sempron or Celeron processor. And if

    > the
    >> RAM is maxed out at 2Gig, then I'm a bit worried. In three years, who

    > knows
    >> how much more "software bloat" will have occurred.
    >>

    > Though it goes without saying...that whatever you get today will soon be
    > obsolete....
    > the mobo I mentioned looks like it should be good for a few years at
    > least...
    > it can support quad-core and a lot of ram.
    > I actually talked a friend of mine to get that one so I can have his old
    > mobo...
    > Most any old junk is ok for me...but now i wanted some high-end junk :)

    LOL! You're right about the obselence issue. And with a laptop, one can't
    merely open the case and replace the mobo. So as much as I hate it, I'm
    probably going to spend way more than I can afford right now, in the hopes
    that I don't have to do it again too soon.

    And go get that high-end junk...everybody deserves a little upgrade now and
    then <g>

    WhzzKdd, Mar 11, 2007
  8. Robb

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > > Though it goes without saying...that whatever you get today will soon be
    > > obsolete....
    > > the mobo I mentioned looks like it should be good for a few years at
    > > least...
    > > it can support quad-core and a lot of ram.
    > > I actually talked a friend of mine to get that one so I can have his old
    > > mobo...
    > > Most any old junk is ok for me...but now i wanted some high-end junk :)
    > >

    > LOL! You're right about the obselence issue. And with a laptop, one can't
    > merely open the case and replace the mobo. So as much as I hate it, I'm
    > probably going to spend way more than I can afford right now, in the hopes
    > that I don't have to do it again too soon.
    >
    > And go get that high-end junk...everybody deserves a little upgrade now

    and
    > then <g>

    I've never bought a new machine yet...nothing but scrounged-up parts for me.

    BTW: Someone gave me a whole bunch of old laptops to fixup or do whatever...
    Though I did get three of them working...I decided to take one totally
    apart...
    working on laptops is more like watch repair than computer repair!

    philo, Mar 11, 2007
  9. Robb

    Robb Guest

    "philo" wrote:
    <snip>

    >If you want to go with a dual core CPU have a look at the Asus P5N-E

    Thanks, I like Asus boards, I'm working from an old P3F-B. I don't
    need it, but I took this weird deal from Newegg:
    http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/030807/index.html

    It was cheap, they threw it at me. ;)

    P5N-(s) look like they have good spec's and they're not damn micros like
    the above. ATX - 12"x 9.6".
    They sure stuff a lot of shit on them don't they? I don't do overcooking
    anymore but you can fine tune with the BIOS. So what's the fast CPU/$
    for these boards? I already ordered 4GB of the superdooper DDR2, 800mhz
    memory.

    This one "looks like" a slightly stripped down version of a P5:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131589R&Local=y

    P5WD2-E Premium - see/seen problems with that one?, if it works well there
    are deals all over the place on fast graphics cards, then it's down to the CPU
    and power supply.

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Mar 11, 2007
  10. Robb

    Robb Guest

    "WhzzKdd" wrote:
    <snip>
    >Yeah - I don't comprehend his backward method of approaching this.

    That's easy, the mainboard's a POS, but I want to try to keep the running
    config. Having said that, just because it's worked in the past, doesn't mean
    it will work next week when parts come in.

    >Typically, I'd decide on what CPU and RAM configuration I need for the
    >software I intend to run, then start looking at hardware that will do what I
    >want. I'm currently shopping for a laptop, and my biggest question is "will
    >this CPU still handle what I want to do in 2 or 3 years". So I've not
    >bothered looking at anything with a Sempron or Celeron processor. And if the
    >RAM is maxed out at 2Gig, then I'm a bit worried. In three years, who knows
    >how much more "software bloat" will have occurred.

    I hope I can get 8gig's of memory in whichever board I wind up with. At
    this point in the day, I don't give a fig. I'm going out on the hog - we have
    sunshine!

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Mar 11, 2007
  11. Robb

    philo Guest

    "Robb" <> wrote in message
    > "philo" wrote:
    > <snip>
    > >
    > >If you want to go with a dual core CPU have a look at the Asus P5N-E

    > Thanks, I like Asus boards, I'm working from an old P3F-B. I don't
    > need it, but I took this weird deal from Newegg:
    > http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/030807/index.html
    >
    > It was cheap, they threw it at me. ;)
    >
    > P5N-(s) look like they have good spec's and they're not damn micros like
    > the above. ATX - 12"x 9.6".
    > They sure stuff a lot of shit on them don't they? I don't do overcooking
    > anymore but you can fine tune with the BIOS. So what's the fast CPU/$
    > for these boards? I already ordered 4GB of the superdooper DDR2, 800mhz
    > memory.
    >
    > This one "looks like" a slightly stripped down version of a P5:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131589R&Local=y
    >
    > P5WD2-E Premium - see/seen problems with that one?, if it works well there
    > are deals all over the place on fast graphics cards, then it's down to the

    CPU
    > and power supply.

    Well that deal from Newegg looks pretty good.
    A repair install should do the job once you move the HD over

    philo, Mar 11, 2007
  12. Robb

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >
    > BTW: Someone gave me a whole bunch of old laptops to fixup or do
    > whatever...
    > Though I did get three of them working...I decided to take one totally
    > apart...
    > working on laptops is more like watch repair than computer repair!

    That's a fact <G>! I get really tired stressed working on laptops - too
    tiny, too many things that can be dropped, etc.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 11, 2007
  13. Robb

    philo Guest

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > BTW: Someone gave me a whole bunch of old laptops to fixup or do
    > > whatever...
    > > Though I did get three of them working...I decided to take one totally
    > > apart...
    > > working on laptops is more like watch repair than computer repair!
    > >

    > That's a fact <G>! I get really tired stressed working on laptops - too
    > tiny, too many things that can be dropped, etc.

    I generally keep it to just replacing HD's or RAM

    philo, Mar 11, 2007