    the same limitation with Intel's 915 chipset. I need this for a workstation
    to run multiple VM's for testing. Does anyone have hands-on experience with
    a hardware combination that would fit my needs?

    Richard Giliberti, Jan 3, 2008

  2. Richard Giliberti

    Theo Guest

    Other than the memory speed what is not as you think it
    should be? If you're using the 32-bit win XP it cannot read
    the full 4GB, you need Win x64 for that.

    Theo, Jan 3, 2008

  3. You could certainly find a motherboard and CPU combination that supports
    that RAM - there were hundreds, if not thousands, made. None of them would
    be a current model -- the OEMs have moved on to DDR2 and even DDR3 in some
    cases. An AMD64 bit processor with a 937 socket and a mobo that supports it,
    or a 754 socket and mobo that supports it, would work just fine with that
    RAM. Of course, it doesn't matter WHAT mobo/CPU combination you choose - if
    you're running 32-bit Windows you won't get the full 4 GB value out of it.
    The limitation is that Windows uses a 32-bit flat memory address space,
    which is limited to a maximum of 4 GB of memory address space. Some of the
    memory address space has to be reserved for use by graphics cards, network
    cards, and other peripherals and built in components of the motherboard, so
    you'd likely not see more than ~3 GB of your RAM.

    Now, you could run Windows XP x64 Edition, and if your new mobo supported
    it, you'd be able to remap memory in BIOS and see the full 4 GB of RAM. But
    you'd want to be VERY sure there were drivers available for your other
    hardware, and that your applications would all run in XP x64. And when you
    were all done, you'd still only have a system that was about 2 years behind
    the current technology. All to recycle 4 DIMMs of memory at a time when
    memory prices have dropped significantly and seem to be continuing to go
    down.

    Honestly, I think you'd be far better served for running multiple VMs to
    look at starting from scratch. You could easily build a system today that
    supported a dual or quad core processor and held 4-8 GB of DDR2 RAM for not
    much different than you'd spend looking for a mobo to recycle your current
    RAM. You'd still have to make the switch to 64-bit Windows (Vista or XP) to
    take full advantage of 4GB or more of memory - that won't change. But in
    return you'd have a far more responsive and satisfactory solution.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    "Richard Giliberti" <Richard > wrote in
    message news:D...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 3, 2008
  4. Richard Giliberti

    Guest

    On Jan 3, 7:36 am, Richard Giliberti <Richard
    > wrote:
    > I have 2 TwinX2048-3200C2 Matched memory pairs from Corsair with identical
    > XMS3202v1.1 versions. I was misinformed with my initial purchase of a Soyo
    > KT880 Dragon2 V2.0 motherboard. I am now seeking a 64-bit
    > motherboard/chipset combination that supports the full 4GB of RAM at the
    > rated DDR400. After thoroughly reaearching the matter, I have discovered
    > that AMD processors with their embedded memory controller do not support 4
    > rows of DIMM's at DDR400. I am unable to definitively discover if there is
    > the same limitation with Intel's 915 chipset. I need this for a workstation
    > to run multiple VM's for testing. Does anyone have hands-on experience with
    > a hardware combination that would fit my needs?

    Gigabyte socket 939 nforce4 mobos. There is a secret memory remap in
    the bios. Either control-f1 or alt-f1. Just google 4G limit on this
    newsgroup since I have posted this information a few times. I've built
    two PCs out of
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1868
    but this mobo is hard to find. However, a friend found one of the SLI
    vesions and just build a system. The mobo was maybe $70.

    , Jan 3, 2008
  5. Richard Giliberti

    Guest

    On Jan 3, 11:53 am, wrote:
    > On Jan 3, 7:36 am, Richard Giliberti <Richard
    >
    > > wrote:
    > > I have 2 TwinX2048-3200C2 Matched memory pairs from Corsair with identical
    > > XMS3202v1.1 versions. I was misinformed with my initial purchase of a Soyo
    > > KT880 Dragon2 V2.0 motherboard. I am now seeking a 64-bit
    > > motherboard/chipset combination that supports the full 4GB of RAM at the
    > > rated DDR400. After thoroughly reaearching the matter, I have discovered
    > > that AMD processors with their embedded memory controller do not support 4
    > > rows of DIMM's at DDR400. I am unable to definitively discover if there is
    > > the same limitation with Intel's 915 chipset. I need this for a workstation
    > > to run multiple VM's for testing. Does anyone have hands-on experience with
    > > a hardware combination that would fit my needs?

    > Gigabyte socket 939 nforce4 mobos. There is a secret memory remap in
    > the bios. Either control-f1 or alt-f1. Just google 4G limit on this
    > newsgroup since I have posted this information a few times. I've built
    > two PCs out ofhttp://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?Prod...
    > but this mobo is hard to find. However, a friend found one of the SLI
    > vesions and just build a system. The mobo was maybe $70.

    I booted the PC. You enter control-f1 at the first bios screen to
    activate the advanced options. The next step is to go to "advanced
    chipset features", then "DRAM configuration", then "H/W MEM Remap".

    , Jan 4, 2008
  6. Thank you all for your replies!! The situation has been rectified.
    There are no more NForce 4 boards for sale with the requisite CMOS option.
    It definitely was not easy to find a chipset that was still available with
    the 32-bit memory hole remap. The only one left was the RD580 Xpress 3200.
    I am purchasing a DFI LanParty UT CFX 3200-DR/G Motherboard Socket 939 ATX
    ATI CrossFire Chipset and Processor AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 Model 4000+ OPN Tray
    ADA4000DKA5CF. I can not get the full DDR400 speed due to my memory being
    double sided and/or dual ranked. I will be able to make use of the full 4
    GIG due to the memory remapping feature in the BIOS, however, there is no
    indication in the manual of whether it would be preferable to use software or
    hardware remapping. The issues of drivers for XP64/Vista64 & newer
    components, although comparably priced, is not important for my needs. I am
    not discarding my present 32-bit XP Pro computer with it's myriad peripherals.

    Richard Giliberti, Jan 13, 2008
  7. Richard Giliberti

    Guest

    On Jan 12, 8:22 pm, Richard Giliberti
    <> wrote:
    > Thank you all for your replies!! The situation has been rectified.
    > There are no more NForce 4 boards for sale with the requisite CMOS option.
    > It definitely was not easy to find a chipset that was still available with
    > the 32-bit memory hole remap. The only one left was the RD580 Xpress 3200.
    > I am purchasing a DFI LanParty UT CFX 3200-DR/G Motherboard Socket 939 ATX
    > ATI CrossFire Chipset and Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Model 4000+ OPN Tray
    > ADA4000DKA5CF. I can not get the full DDR400 speed due to my memory being
    > double sided and/or dual ranked. I will be able to make use of the full 4
    > GIG due to the memory remapping feature in the BIOS, however, there is no
    > indication in the manual of whether it would be preferable to use software or
    > hardware remapping. The issues of drivers for XP64/Vista64 & newer
    > components, although comparably priced, is not important for my needs. I am
    > not discarding my present 32-bit XP Pro computer with it's myriad peripherals.
    >
    > "Richard Giliberti" wrote:
    > > I have 2 TwinX2048-3200C2 Matched memory pairs from Corsair with identical
    > > XMS3202v1.1 versions. I was misinformed with my initial purchase of a Soyo
    > > KT880 Dragon2 V2.0 motherboard. I am now seeking a 64-bit
    > > motherboard/chipset combination that supports the full 4GB of RAM at the
    > > rated DDR400. After thoroughly reaearching the matter, I have discovered
    > > that AMD processors with their embedded memory controller do not support 4
    > > rows of DIMM's at DDR400. I am unable to definitively discover if there is
    > > the same limitation with Intel's 915 chipset. I need this for a workstation
    > > to run multiple VM's for testing. Does anyone have hands-on experience with
    > > a hardware combination that would fit my needs?

    A friend bought a gigabyte Nforce4 board just last month. He got the
    full 4G.

    , Jan 13, 2008
  8. I am not denying that your friend was able to find the MB with the 4 GB
    needed. I just can not find any advertisements currently that sell one whose
    availability is in stock. It would definitely be cheaper than the DFI @
    $150. If you know of a link or the retailer who sold his, please do respond
    with that information.

    Richard Giliberti, Jan 13, 2008