Motherboard/Chipset Recommendation

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve, Aug 22, 2005.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi all,

    What I'm looking for is a recommendation on a good chipset or motherboard to
    suit my upgrade needs. I have an AGP card, so I have to stick with a board
    that will support that, but at the same time have a good CPU upgrade path
    (if possible). I was looking at socket 478 boards, but then the 775's seem
    have faster CPUs available. Is there any downside to using a chipset (eg
    865pe) that was originally released for socket 478 on a socket 775 board?
    I'm looking at putting a 3.2 or 3.4 Ghz P4 in it.
    Also important to me are onboard LAN, firewire and SATA. Prefer not to have
    onboard audio or video, but that can be disabled if need be.
    Oh yeah, in case you hadn't noticed, I would like to go Intel on CPU and
    chipset :) I'm also partial to Asus, but am open to suggestions of any
    brand.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve, Aug 22, 2005

  2. Steve

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT nz> wrote in news:430969b8$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > I'm also partial to Asus, but am open to suggestions of any
    > brand.

    I have a P4P800-VM, I like it.

    New MBs from Asus should be faster and have more features for free.

    I am not a big gamer so the lack of hardware raid, and the onboard
    everything suit me just fine. Plenty of USB ports and it just works.

    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-vm/overview.htm

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Steve

    Paul Guest

    I use the P4P800 with a 2.4 HT CPU.

    8 USB 2 ports, GB Lan, 1 AGP 5 PCI slots

    Its not bad.

    Onboard sound / no onboard video, no firewire onboard, but I've put a PCI
    firewire card in. It works great
    with my DV Cam.

    It's got onboard SATA tho, but only RAID 0.

    I use a SATA hdd, but not in RAID. RAID 0 sux anyway. I dont use mobos with
    video onboard,
    there's usually not enough ram on them.

    Paul, Aug 26, 2005
  4. Steve

    Phstpok Guest

    Dead in the water

    Paul stubbed out the damp squib on 26/08/2005 2:37 p.m.and tried to
    bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:

    Phstpok, Aug 26, 2005
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "Steve" <soma1 AT orcon DOT net DOT nz> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a recommendation on a good chipset or motherboard
    > suit my upgrade needs. I have an AGP card, so I have to stick with a board
    > that will support that, but at the same time have a good CPU upgrade path
    > (if possible). I was looking at socket 478 boards, but then the 775's seem
    > have faster CPUs available. Is there any downside to using a chipset (eg
    > 865pe) that was originally released for socket 478 on a socket 775 board?
    > I'm looking at putting a 3.2 or 3.4 Ghz P4 in it.
    > Also important to me are onboard LAN, firewire and SATA. Prefer not to
    > have
    > onboard audio or video, but that can be disabled if need be.
    > Oh yeah, in case you hadn't noticed, I would like to go Intel on CPU and
    > chipset :) I'm also partial to Asus, but am open to suggestions of any
    > brand.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks to those who replied. After some research I think I'll go for one of
    the p4p800 variations and chuck in a PCI firewire card.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve, Sep 1, 2005