Motherboard burn out? PC wont start plz help!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by onarol@gmail.com, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. Guest

    My system was a perfect one until today with no problems but however to

    my stupidity I was using a LC420 PSU for 1 ½ years now the other day I

    was vacuuming the room and I moved the multiplug connector to clean it

    and the pc suddenly shut down, this was very strange as I have done it
    before and it never gave me problems. Now here begins my nightmare,
    firstly let me post my system specs

    P4 3.2E Prescott
    Zalman Cu heatsink (huge one)
    SATA Maxtor 200 gig, 300 gig
    Dual channel corsair value ram 1024 mb (2 x 512)
    Asus P4p 800 E deluxe MOBO
    Audigy 2 ZS
    5700 LE VGA MSI
    LC420 PSU
    5 cooling fans

    Now the system doesn't boot up neither does the fans or anything I
    don't hear a single sound. However my mobo LED is lit. So thinking
    the obvious I purchased a new PSU Enermax all in one modular 500 W. Now

    still there is no sound absolutely nothing which leads me to believe my

    old PSU was fine (eventhough I will never use that again for this
    system). Now taking off everything and leaving only the power on the
    mobo returned no results as well.

    I have to go today and remove it totally out of the casing and see
    whether I get lucky with that.

    Now that's the situation in a nutshell any of you guys have seen
    stuff like this? I have been in this field for 13 years now and have
    experienced burned out RAM, bent processors, faulty PSU's but never a
    problem like this, its frustrating and I wonder whether any of you guys

    have a solution???

    Could it be the CPU or will it help getting a new mobo but still with
    the risk of removing the old CPU from the socket and ruining the pins
    along with the huge zalman heatsink cooler fan.

    Thanks for your help!!!

    , Mar 2, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > My system was a perfect one until today with no problems but however to
    >
    > my stupidity I was using a LC420 PSU for 1 ½ years now the other day I
    >
    > was vacuuming the room and I moved the multiplug connector to clean it
    >
    > and the pc suddenly shut down, this was very strange as I have done it
    > before and it never gave me problems. Now here begins my nightmare,
    > firstly let me post my system specs
    >
    > P4 3.2E Prescott
    > Zalman Cu heatsink (huge one)
    > SATA Maxtor 200 gig, 300 gig
    > Dual channel corsair value ram 1024 mb (2 x 512)
    > Asus P4p 800 E deluxe MOBO
    > Audigy 2 ZS
    > 5700 LE VGA MSI
    > LC420 PSU
    > 5 cooling fans
    >

    > Now the system doesn't boot up neither does the fans or anything I
    > don't hear a single sound. However my mobo LED is lit. So thinking
    > the obvious I purchased a new PSU Enermax all in one modular 500 W. Now
    >
    > still there is no sound absolutely nothing which leads me to believe my
    >
    > old PSU was fine (eventhough I will never use that again for this
    > system). Now taking off everything and leaving only the power on the
    > mobo returned no results as well.
    >

    > I have to go today and remove it totally out of the casing and see
    > whether I get lucky with that.
    >

    > Now that's the situation in a nutshell any of you guys have seen
    > stuff like this? I have been in this field for 13 years now and have
    > experienced burned out RAM, bent processors, faulty PSU's but never a
    > problem like this, its frustrating and I wonder whether any of you guys
    >
    > have a solution???
    >

    > Could it be the CPU or will it help getting a new mobo but still with
    > the risk of removing the old CPU from the socket and ruining the pins
    > along with the huge zalman heatsink cooler fan.

    Taking you at your word that you've taken everything out (are you sure
    there's nothing else to remove to keep testing?) about all you can do is
    swap out either the motherboard, the processor or both. If you're like
    most of us, you don't have a matching motherboard or processor lying
    around to experiment with, so it's time to get both brand new.

    Sudden removal from power is the second worst thing that I hate to see
    happen to my computer. The worst is an agonizing, on for a moment, off
    for a moment, brownout type of shutdown. May as well order the
    components for a new machine if that happens.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 2, 2006

  3. Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:

    > My system was a perfect one until today with no problems but however to
    >
    > my stupidity I was using a LC420 PSU for 1 ½ years now the other day I
    >
    > was vacuuming the room and I moved the multiplug connector to clean it
    >
    > and the pc suddenly shut down, this was very strange as I have done it
    > before and it never gave me problems. Now here begins my nightmare,
    > firstly let me post my system specs
    >
    > P4 3.2E Prescott
    > Zalman Cu heatsink (huge one)
    > SATA Maxtor 200 gig, 300 gig
    > Dual channel corsair value ram 1024 mb (2 x 512)
    > Asus P4p 800 E deluxe MOBO
    > Audigy 2 ZS
    > 5700 LE VGA MSI
    > LC420 PSU
    > 5 cooling fans
    >

    > Now the system doesn't boot up neither does the fans or anything I
    > don't hear a single sound....

    Then you either have no power (you accidently clicked the off switch
    on a powerstrip or blew a fuse or clicked the 110/220 switch on the
    power supply) OR your PSU has lost it's power supply which will have
    to be replaced.

    "5 cooling fans" !!! holy mackeral!!!

    Rick Merrill, Mar 2, 2006
  4. Rick Merrill wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> My system was a perfect one until today with no problems but however to
    >>
    >> my stupidity I was using a LC420 PSU for 1 ½ years now the other day I
    >>
    >> was vacuuming the room and I moved the multiplug connector to clean it
    >>
    >> and the pc suddenly shut down, this was very strange as I have done it
    >> before and it never gave me problems. Now here begins my nightmare,
    >> firstly let me post my system specs
    >>
    >> P4 3.2E Prescott
    >> Zalman Cu heatsink (huge one)
    >> SATA Maxtor 200 gig, 300 gig
    >> Dual channel corsair value ram 1024 mb (2 x 512)
    >> Asus P4p 800 E deluxe MOBO
    >> Audigy 2 ZS
    >> 5700 LE VGA MSI
    >> LC420 PSU
    >> 5 cooling fans
    >>

    >> Now the system doesn't boot up neither does the fans or anything I
    >> don't hear a single sound....

    > Then you either have no power (you accidently clicked the off switch
    > on a powerstrip or blew a fuse or clicked the 110/220 switch on the
    > power supply) OR your PSU has lost it's power supply which will have
    > to be replaced.
    >
    > "5 cooling fans" !!! holy mackeral!!!

    Or some component in the computer has a direct short in it. In that
    case, the power supply knows better than to keep trying to push power
    into the components and simply refuses to turn on.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 2, 2006
  5. Shel-hed Guest

    You moved the cord, so did you check the obvious? Do you have proper power at
    the wall outlet? There could be a loose connection.
    Use a polarity tester and a multimeter if you can.
    http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...E=PROD_META&CNTKEY=storehome/pg_storehome.jsp
    or
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?E28052BBC

    Shel-hed, Mar 2, 2006
  6. 10_4 Guest

    <> wrote in message
[...]

    <>

    I have worked with this very problem on numerous occasions. I find that it
    is the CPU some of the time and the Mobo other times as well as a
    combination of both. As mentioned, if you don't have a way of checking the
    components you will not know which, but I have found when one goes the other
    is not far behind. I usually but a new CPU and mobo to be sure. Since the
    unit suddenly lost power as you described there may be other components
    damaged as well. Again, you will need a way to check them and I recommend
    another system that is compatible if you have or can arrange to get one for
    a short time.

    Good luck!

    10_4, Mar 2, 2006
  7. Guest

    Thanks all you guys for your help, now my dilemma is as goes...

    I can buy a new socket 478 mobo for real cheap but if my processor is
    busted it will take some looking around to get a darn socket 478
    processor. Secondly with all the effort to look for that I might as
    well go in for the upgrade to a 775 processor then what would happen is
    the obvious the mobo will have to be 775, frickn VGA will have to be
    changed, then I would have to say bye bye to my pc 3200 DDR sticks
    among many other things I have to change.

    But I wonder whether any of you guys know but my mobo was purchased 1
    ½ years ago and it still frickn retails for 98 euro. Asus says 3 yrs
    limited warranty, I am wondering if I do go ahead and purchase another
    mobo could I still RMA this and get something back for this.

    As stated in my previous post I went today and took the mobo out and
    placed it on ASD bag and still no luck guys!! And now comes the hard
    part have you ever tried removing a heat sink which weighs almost a
    darn kilo out of your processor that's real fun and delicate as you
    can imagine. Now I have the processor with me and even though the pins
    are slightly bent it still sits in properly so I will only know once I
    receive my new mobo if not there goes the dough for another processor.

    FYI there is no capacitors which are leaking with gunk or anything or
    even inflated you know, this is real puzzling as you can imagine so
    'low and behold' today upon receipt of my new mobo.

    But a busted VGA alone cant be the reason for this sudden non activity
    right, I remember one user posted this, because if VGA was busted my
    psu fan would at least spin, no?

    That's the 411 on my side for the moment.

    , Mar 3, 2006
  8. Guest

    Ok
    Firstly let me thank all you tech heads for your help as I told you
    this was a weird problem and one that could have sent me around the
    bend if you know what I mean!!

    Ok I nearly busted my CPU 3.2 P4 cpu by bending 6 pins after that I
    used the infamous credit card straightening solution and I am rocking
    now, which reminds me now I can go ahead and make my older 2.4 P4 which
    had similar problems but with standard intel thermal paste but those
    pins are in much worse conditions than these ones!!

    Ok back to where we were I concluded that the problem was with my mobo
    so this means I have an extra psu lying around yes I wont knock the
    LC420 psu but nevertheless guys take my advice and buy only Enermax or
    Antec it is expensive but nevertheless worth it all the way!!!!

    So this means my p4p800 - e deluxe which is a top of the line socket
    478 board will have to be RMA'd but I hope my vendor will take it
    back nevertheless I am ready to bear the loss as my new mobo which is
    an ASROCK VIA P4M800 is the solution for the moment, cheap and the
    reason I got something this cheap was in case it was not the mobo and
    something really really different then. So all is fine at the moment
    and I am back to installing custom fans all over my casing to give it
    the ventilation it deserves especially with prescotts!

    Thanks again for your help will be around here looking to help anybody
    else with their tech nightmares!!

    , Mar 6, 2006