    because I not to long ago bought pc133 ram for my emachine, so I don't
    understand how the numbers have gotten so big already. Any help is
    appreciated thanks.

    Mr. Arcade, Feb 17, 2006

  2. Mr. Arcade

    WW Guest

    Older SDRAM memory is specified by its clock rate, eg 133MHz is PC133 SDRAM.

    With the newer memory DDR SDRAM, the memory chips are specified as DDR400,
    for example, meaning 400MHz clock rate (actually 200MHz x 2 as
    double-clocked). The whole DDR SDRAM module, on the other hand, is
    designated by the overall data transfer rate, not the clock speed.

    So for example with DDR266 chips, data transfer rate is 8bytes x 266MB/sec =
    2133MB/sec. This is written as PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory. (The 8 bytes comes
    from the 64-bit width of the memory data bus).

    With DDR400, the data rate is 8x400 ie PC3200.

    (Note the round-ups, eg 133, 266, really means 133.33MHz, 266.66Mhz etc).

    HTH

    WW, Feb 17, 2006

  3. Mr. Arcade

    Mr. Arcade Guest

    Mr. Arcade, Feb 17, 2006
  4. Mr. Arcade

    Mr. Arcade Guest

    Also what about the ddr standard specifies the compatibility of your
    motherboard with the ram's speed?

    Mr. Arcade, Feb 17, 2006