Motherboad dip-switch help?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by s1mple_M4N, May 31, 2004.

  1. s1mple_M4N

    s1mple_M4N Guest

    Hi all - newbie group user.

    I have an older-style Biostar motherboard I have inherited, with a Celeron
    600 (fsb 66MHz).

    The board has dip-switches with settings for P-III up to 933MHz or Celeron
    up to 800MHz.

    The Celeron 600 runs fine, but I picked up a P-III 866 the other day,
    inserted it, set the correct switches, switched on and - nothing.

    CPU is on a sloket (socket 1) - I am wondering if that is the cause of the
    nothingness or is it something in the BIOS... I have checked, but nothing
    that jumps out at me.

    Appreciate any advice.

    Thanks in advance,

    RJ
    s1mple_M4N, May 31, 2004

  2. s1mple_M4N

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "s1mple_M4N" <simple_man@clear(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote in news:40bafcd5$1
    @clear.net.nz:

    > The Celeron 600 runs fine, but I picked up a P-III 866 the other day,
    > inserted it, set the correct switches, switched on and - nothing.

    Just because you changed the switches does not mean that the memory can run
    at the higher FSB speed. You probably have 66 Mhz Ram, and were trying to
    run it at 133 FSB.
    Sometimes the silkscreen is wrong and the motherboard web site will have a
    pdf with the up-to-date info for you.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 1, 2004