    manufacturers don't feel the need to make products that work, and policies
    are set up to keep me stuck with products that don't work, I see no reason
    so risk my money on their shit.

    Jamal Chapultapec, Sep 14, 2003

  2. On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:13:41 GMT, Jamal Chapultapec <>
    wrote:

    >So I bought Heathers at Target for $10. I was able to watch half the movie
    >on my Toshiba SD-3900 and the damn thing locks up. I pop out the disc, see
    >if there's dirt, see non, pop it back in, try again. Locks up in the same
    >place. I try to return the disc, but since it's opened, I can only exchange
    >it. Lucky me, I get ANOTHER defective disc. Damn thing even locks up on my
    >PC's DVD player.

    If it's an Anchor Bay release it's a known rotter. Here's the URL for
    doing an exchange..
    http://www.theregangroup.com/pages/anchor2.php?prod_title=HEATHERS&prod_title1=

    >Okay, the hell with it, from now on I'm pirating. If the god-damn
    >manufacturers don't feel the need to make products that work, and policies
    >are set up to keep me stuck with products that don't work, I see no reason
    >so risk my money on their shit.

    The true bullshit is coming from all the housebound unsocial corporate
    puppets in this newsgroup who insist that there is no such thing as
    DVD rot. Generally the distributors are good at exchanging defects.
    ..... In region 1 anyway..

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 14, 2003

  3. Jamal Chapultapec

    GlassPrison Guest

    "Jamal Chapultapec" <> wrote in message
    > So I bought Heathers at Target for $10. I was able to watch half the movie
    > on my Toshiba SD-3900 and the damn thing locks up. I pop out the disc, see
    > if there's dirt, see non, pop it back in, try again. Locks up in the same
    > place. I try to return the disc, but since it's opened, I can only

    exchange
    > it. Lucky me, I get ANOTHER defective disc. Damn thing even locks up on my
    > PC's DVD player.
    >
    > Okay, the hell with it, from now on I'm pirating. If the god-damn
    > manufacturers don't feel the need to make products that work, and policies
    > are set up to keep me stuck with products that don't work, I see no reason
    > so risk my money on their shit.

    umm... why not exchange it for the same thing, then instead of opening your
    new copy, bring your new unopened copy back and get your money back?

    Dan

    GlassPrison, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Jamal Chapultapec

    Tarkus Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:13:41 GMT, Jamal Chapultapec wrote:

    > So I bought Heathers at Target for $10. I was able to watch half the movie
    > on my Toshiba SD-3900 and the damn thing locks up. I pop out the disc, see
    > if there's dirt, see non, pop it back in, try again. Locks up in the same
    > place. I try to return the disc, but since it's opened, I can only exchange
    > it. Lucky me, I get ANOTHER defective disc. Damn thing even locks up on my
    > PC's DVD player.
    >
    > Okay, the hell with it, from now on I'm pirating. If the god-damn
    > manufacturers don't feel the need to make products that work, and policies
    > are set up to keep me stuck with products that don't work, I see no reason
    > so risk my money on their shit.

    Yep, and I've gotten two straight lemons from the car dealership, so I'm
    going to steal my next car!
    --
    "No one needs to know about this except you, me and Mr. Soon-to-be-
    living-the-rest-of-his-short-ass-life-in-agonizing-pain-rapist here."

    Now playing: the radio

    Tarkus, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Jamal Chapultapec

    GlassPrison Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > "GlassPrison" <> wrote in message
    > <<... why not exchange it for the same thing, then instead of opening
    > your new copy, bring your new unopened copy back and get your money
    > back? Dan>>
    >

    > I once exchanged a defective DVD at Best Buy. The clerk took the wrapper
    > off of the new replacement disk, so that it couldn't be returned as
    > unopened.

    Best Buy != Target

    But even so, that makes sense... though I've never seen that happen.
    *shrug*

    Dan

    Scot Gardner, Sep 14, 2003
  7. Jamal Chapultapec

    Smaug69 Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > The true bullshit is coming from all the housebound unsocial corporate
    > puppets in this newsgroup who insist that there is no such thing as
    > DVD rot.

    Here we are over 6 years from DVD's intro(and over 5 years for me
    hanging out in this newsgroup) and I have still no seen no conclusive
    proof of this so-called DVD "rot." People have posted pics of some of
    these "rotted" discs and I have checked out all the ones I had and
    even when they resembled those posted images they all played fine.

    BTW, I have had Heathers since it came out and it plays fine on all my
    DVD players- as do all Anchor Bay releases I have purchased.

    Most people who think they have DVD rot because their discs won't play
    simply need to upgrade their firmware. Since you never mentioned this
    option and only threw out that insult, I'm going to assume you were
    just trolling for a response exactly like this. In either case, please
    stop passing around this misinformation. You are only mucking things
    up for the people around here who actually know what they are talking
    about.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Sep 15, 2003
  8. Jamal Chapultapec

    Doonie Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:26:27 GMT, GlassPrison wrote:

    >umm... why not exchange it for the same thing, then instead of opening your
    >new copy, bring your new unopened copy back and get your money back?

    Some places will put a mark onto your receipt to show that you've
    returned an item.

    Doonie, Sep 15, 2003
  9. On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 03:01:59 GMT, Doonie
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:26:27 GMT, GlassPrison wrote:
    >
    >>umm... why not exchange it for the same thing, then instead of opening your
    >>new copy, bring your new unopened copy back and get your money back?

    > Some places will put a mark onto your receipt to show that you've
    >returned an item.

    I get the feelong that no one ever reads my responses. In this thread
    I stated this was a known rotter and provided a URL for exchange
    informaiton.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 15, 2003
  10. Jamal Chapultapec

    Tarkus Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:26:27 GMT, GlassPrison wrote:

    > umm... why not exchange it for the same thing, then instead of opening your
    > new copy, bring your new unopened copy back and get your money back?

    Many stores will open your replacement copy, so you can't do that.
    --
    "Just remember what the MPAA says: Horrific, deplorable violence is
    okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words!"

    Now playing: "Chris Squire - Hold Out Your Hand"

    Tarkus, Sep 15, 2003
  11. Jamal Chapultapec

    Animeg3282 Guest

    smaug said

    >Here we are over 6 years from DVD's intro(and over 5 years for me
    >hanging out in this newsgroup) and I have still no seen no conclusive
    >proof of this so-called DVD "rot." People have posted pics of some of
    >these "rotted" discs and I have checked out all the ones I had and
    >even when they resembled those posted images they all played fine.
    >
    >BTW, I have had Heathers since it came out and it plays fine on all my
    >DVD players- as do all Anchor Bay releases I have purchased.
    >
    >Most people who think they have DVD rot because their discs won't play
    >simply need to upgrade their firmware. Since you never mentioned this
    >option and only threw out that insult, I'm going to assume you were
    >just trolling for a response exactly like this. In either case, please
    >stop passing around this misinformation. You are only mucking things
    >up for the people around here who actually know what they are talking
    >about.

    Firmware..?
    --

    http://animeg.blogspot.com/ <--yet another shitty blog.
    http://members.fortunecity.com/animeg3282/ <---Fancy Lala Club!

    Animeg3282, Sep 15, 2003
  12. Jamal Chapultapec

    Moviezzz Guest

    Look on the back of the DVD. The corrected copies have a "Version 2.0"
    sticker. There were pressing problems on the original DVD and they rereleased
    it. Mine went as well.

    Moviezzz, Sep 15, 2003
  13. Tarkus wrote:

    > Yep, and I've gotten two straight lemons from the car dealership, so I'm
    > going to steal my next car!

    The analogy is only valid if you say, "COPY my next car."

    BCA

    Brian C. Allen, Sep 15, 2003
  14. Jamal Chapultapec

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Brian C. Allen wrote in <>:

    >Tarkus wrote:
    >

    >> Yep, and I've gotten two straight lemons from the car dealership, so I'm
    >> going to steal my next car!

    >The analogy is only valid if you say, "COPY my next car."

    The analogy refers to justifying theft by pointing to past problems.
    Which is idiotic enough as it is--we don't need you blundering in
    further confusing the issue.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 15, 2003
  15. Steve Hanson wrote:
    > Brian C. Allen wrote in <>:
    >

    >>Tarkus wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yep, and I've gotten two straight lemons from the car dealership, so I'm
    >>>going to steal my next car!

    >>The analogy is only valid if you say, "COPY my next car."

    > The analogy refers to justifying theft by pointing to past problems.
    > Which is idiotic enough as it is--we don't need you blundering in
    > further confusing the issue.

    The analogy was just plain wrong. Also, analogies only refer to the
    analogous circumstances, which in this case did not exist, because it
    was a bad analogy.

    Maybe you meant to say, "the point of the analogy..." instead of, "the
    analogy refers..."

    Get it right. I am not the one blundering here. Both you and the
    poster of the bad analogy need to wise up.

    BCA

    Brian C. Allen, Sep 16, 2003
  16. Jamal Chapultapec

    Tarkus Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:02:52 -0700, Brian C. Allen wrote:

    > Tarkus wrote:
    >
    >> Yep, and I've gotten two straight lemons from the car dealership, so I'm
    >> going to steal my next car!

    > The analogy is only valid if you say, "COPY my next car."

    If you stop buying DVDs and decide to burn your own instead, you're
    taking money away from the studios. That's very much analogous with
    stealing.
    --
    "The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will
    find you if you want it to."

    Now playing: "Patrick Moraz - Cachaca (Baiao)"

    Tarkus, Sep 16, 2003
  17. Jamal Chapultapec

    Dave Snyder Guest

    >Look on the back of the DVD. The corrected copies have a "Version 2.0"
    >sticker. There were pressing problems on the original DVD and they
    >rereleased
    >it. Mine went as well.

    Is this the first version they put out or the second?
    Thanks

    ..
    ~ Dave
    ( The chief enemy of creativity is "good taste". )
    ----Pablo Picasso

    Dave Snyder, Sep 16, 2003
  18. Tarkus wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:02:52 -0700, Brian C. Allen wrote:
    >

    >>Tarkus wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yep, and I've gotten two straight lemons from the car dealership, so I'm
    >>>going to steal my next car!

    >>The analogy is only valid if you say, "COPY my next car."

    > If you stop buying DVDs and decide to burn your own instead, you're
    > taking money away from the studios. That's very much analogous with
    > stealing.

    So, if I stop buying cars and make my own cars, that is taking
    money away from the car manufacturers and is analogous to
    stealing? Nope.

    Just stop with the car analogy stuff already. It was a bad
    analogy and nothing will make it better.

    BCA

    Brian C. Allen, Sep 16, 2003
  19. Jamal Chapultapec

    Richard C. Guest

    Fortunately Anchor Bay has a GOOD exchange policy.
    They know about the problem and will replace it with a working one.

    =====================================
    :

    Richard C., Sep 16, 2003
  20. Jamal Chapultapec

    Richard C. Guest

    It was NOT ROT.
    It was a defective mastering on one of the batches............

    Can you prove Rot even exists?

    :

    Richard C., Sep 16, 2003