    I remember buying a computer in 1994 that the reviewer said was future
    proof. It seems that every two years we need to start all over again.
    Cliff.

    Cliff, Jul 21, 2007

  2. Cliff

    philo Guest

    "Cliff" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I tend not to read the reviews of new products until I need something and
    > then find that technology has passed me by. I will need a better graphics
    > card if I opt for Vista. I now find that the latest cards are for PCI e
    > slots rather
    > than AGP as on my three year old ASUS. A7N8X-X M/B. No doubt there are
    > still AGP cards on the market and many second hand ones around. I really
    > don't want to upgrade the MB as I also have two PCI cards fitted in my
    > computer (TV card and wireless LAN)
    > I remember buying a computer in 1994 that the reviewer said was future
    > proof. It seems that every two years we need to start all over again.
    > Cliff.

    Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
    do not even think of Vista...
    You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP for a
    while longer.

    Then, when the day comes for you to totally build a new machine...
    then you may think of Vista (and presumably skip it).

    philo, Jul 21, 2007

  3. Cliff

    Cliff Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Cliff" <> wrote in message
    >> I tend not to read the reviews of new products until I need something and
    >> then find that technology has passed me by. I will need a better graphics
    >> card if I opt for Vista. I now find that the latest cards are for PCI e
    >> slots rather
    >> than AGP as on my three year old ASUS. A7N8X-X M/B. No doubt there are
    >> still AGP cards on the market and many second hand ones around. I really
    >> don't want to upgrade the MB as I also have two PCI cards fitted in my
    >> computer (TV card and wireless LAN)
    >> I remember buying a computer in 1994 that the reviewer said was future
    >> proof. It seems that every two years we need to start all over again.
    >> Cliff.
    >>

    > Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
    > do not even think of Vista...
    > You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP for
    > while longer.
    >
    > Then, when the day comes for you to totally build a new machine...
    > then you may think of Vista (and presumably skip it).

    Skip as dump in a skip or skip using Vista at all?
    Hate to skip anything. Just dumped my my old spare Pentium MMX last year but
    hanging on to my old 386.
    Cliff.

    Cliff, Jul 21, 2007
  4. Cliff

    philo Guest

    "Cliff" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Cliff" <> wrote in message
    > >> I tend not to read the reviews of new products until I need something

    and
    > >> then find that technology has passed me by. I will need a better

    graphics
    > >> card if I opt for Vista. I now find that the latest cards are for PCI e
    > >> slots rather
    > >> than AGP as on my three year old ASUS. A7N8X-X M/B. No doubt there are
    > >> still AGP cards on the market and many second hand ones around. I

    really
    > >> don't want to upgrade the MB as I also have two PCI cards fitted in my
    > >> computer (TV card and wireless LAN)
    > >> I remember buying a computer in 1994 that the reviewer said was future
    > >> proof. It seems that every two years we need to start all over again.
    > >> Cliff.
    > >>

    > > Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
    > > do not even think of Vista...
    > > You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP

    for
    > > while longer.
    > >
    > > Then, when the day comes for you to totally build a new machine...
    > > then you may think of Vista (and presumably skip it).

    > Skip as dump in a skip or skip using Vista at all?
    > Hate to skip anything. Just dumped my my old spare Pentium MMX last year

    but
    > hanging on to my old 386.
    > Cliff.

    Well, personally I'd just plain not use Vista at all...
    though the machines I've tested it on were not quite cutting edge. My
    feeling is that with some *very* good hardware,
    Vista would probably be all right...but I don't see any advantages over XP.

    As to your 386...I really love fooling with the old machines. I try to keep
    "one of everything".

    VIZ: a Kaypro running CP/M

    an 8088, a 286, 386, 486, P-I, P-II etc. They are all fun to play with and I
    don't have anything newer than an AMD-2800

    philo, Jul 21, 2007
  5. "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Cliff" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Cliff" <> wrote in message

    > and

    > graphics

    > really
    >> >>

    >> > Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
    >> > do not even think of Vista...
    >> > You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP

    > for
    >> > while longer.
    >> >
    >> > Then, when the day comes for you to totally build a new machine...
    >> > then you may think of Vista (and presumably skip it).

    >> Skip as dump in a skip or skip using Vista at all?
    >> Hate to skip anything. Just dumped my my old spare Pentium MMX last year

    > but
    >> hanging on to my old 386.
    >> Cliff.
    >>

    > Well, personally I'd just plain not use Vista at all...
    > though the machines I've tested it on were not quite cutting edge. My
    > feeling is that with some *very* good hardware,
    > Vista would probably be all right...but I don't see any advantages over
    > XP.
    >
    > As to your 386...I really love fooling with the old machines. I try to
    > keep
    > "one of everything".
    >
    > VIZ: a Kaypro running CP/M
    >
    > an 8088, a 286, 386, 486, P-I, P-II etc. They are all fun to play with and
    > don't have anything newer than an AMD-2800

    I'm using an Nvidia FX 5200 128MB and its running Aero without any probs.
    Its 3 years old now so probaly only worth peanuts £20 - 25 ebay
    The 3D desktop whizzes around no problems

    Dr. Hackenbush, Jul 21, 2007
  6. Cliff

    Plato Guest

    philo wrote:

    > > I tend not to read the reviews of new products until I need something and
    > > then find that technology has passed me by. I will need a better graphics
    > > card if I opt for Vista. I now find that the latest cards are for PCI e
    > > slots rather
    > > than AGP as on my three year old ASUS. A7N8X-X M/B. No doubt there are
    > > still AGP cards on the market and many second hand ones around. I really
    > > don't want to upgrade the MB as I also have two PCI cards fitted in my
    > > computer (TV card and wireless LAN)
    > > I remember buying a computer in 1994 that the reviewer said was future
    > > proof. It seems that every two years we need to start all over again.

    > Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
    > do not even think of Vista...
    > You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP for a
    > while longer.

    I agree. You'd really want a new mobo with the latest slots, a new video
    card that can handle the new DirectX, etc.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 22, 2007
  7. Cliff

    philo Guest

    <snip>.

    > > Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
    > > do not even think of Vista...
    > > You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP

    for a
    > > while longer.

    > I agree. You'd really want a new mobo with the latest slots, a new video
    > card that can handle the new DirectX, etc.

    That's a good point. I am not a gamer...but if you are...I understand that
    Vista will be the only OS to support DirectX-10.

    If that's true, then Vista might just be the OS for some high-end games...
    but of course, only the newest H/W will work

    philo, Jul 22, 2007
  8. Cliff

    Fred Kasner Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Cliff" <> wrote in message
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Cliff" <> wrote in message

    > and

    > graphics

    > really
    >>>>

    >>> Unless you are building an all new , very hi-end machine...
    >>> do not even think of Vista...
    >>> You might as well stick with your present machine and (presumably) XP

    > for
    >>> while longer.
    >>>
    >>> Then, when the day comes for you to totally build a new machine...
    >>> then you may think of Vista (and presumably skip it).

    >> Skip as dump in a skip or skip using Vista at all?
    >> Hate to skip anything. Just dumped my my old spare Pentium MMX last year

    > but
    >> hanging on to my old 386.
    >> Cliff.
    >>

    > Well, personally I'd just plain not use Vista at all...
    > though the machines I've tested it on were not quite cutting edge. My
    > feeling is that with some *very* good hardware,
    > Vista would probably be all right...but I don't see any advantages over XP.
    >
    > As to your 386...I really love fooling with the old machines. I try to keep
    > "one of everything".
    >
    > VIZ: a Kaypro running CP/M
    >
    > an 8088, a 286, 386, 486, P-I, P-II etc. They are all fun to play with and I
    > don't have anything newer than an AMD-2800

    I had a Apple ][+ running CP/M that was a pleasure to use even if a
    little slow. And I loved how well it ran math programs.

    Unfortunately without asking me my daughter threw it out! Then again
    there was also the time my parents gave away my rather large custom size
    train set. At that time my estimate was it was worth about $35,000.
    Thank God my daughter hasn't gotten her hands on my collection of
    cameras or my Solomon Park case clock.

    FK

    Fred Kasner, Jul 22, 2007
  9. Cliff

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > >> Skip as dump in a skip or skip using Vista at all?
    > >> Hate to skip anything. Just dumped my my old spare Pentium MMX last

    year
    > > but
    > >> hanging on to my old 386.
    > >> Cliff.
    > >>

    > > Well, personally I'd just plain not use Vista at all...
    > > though the machines I've tested it on were not quite cutting edge. My
    > > feeling is that with some *very* good hardware,
    > > Vista would probably be all right...but I don't see any advantages over

    XP.

    > > As to your 386...I really love fooling with the old machines. I try to

    keep
    > > "one of everything".
    > >
    > > VIZ: a Kaypro running CP/M
    > >
    > > an 8088, a 286, 386, 486, P-I, P-II etc. They are all fun to play with

    and I
    > > don't have anything newer than an AMD-2800
    > >

    > I had a Apple ][+ running CP/M that was a pleasure to use even if a
    > little slow. And I loved how well it ran math programs.
    >
    > Unfortunately without asking me my daughter threw it out! Then again
    > there was also the time my parents gave away my rather large custom size
    > train set. At that time my estimate was it was worth about $35,000.
    > Thank God my daughter hasn't gotten her hands on my collection of
    > cameras or my Solomon Park case clock.

    Well my daughter knows better than to throw any of my stuff out...

    but I do recall that when my girlfriend first moved in here many years
    ago...

    I came home from work and found that she had thrown all my tea in the
    garbage!

    After I had a nice yelling fit...she pointed out to me that it was:

    1) at least ten years old

    2) that i am a coffee drinker and *never* drink tea

    Had to admit that she was right, I calmed down and we've gotten along just
    fine ever since!

    philo, Jul 22, 2007