    BB at home, Telescum for you I guess.

    Squirrel

    I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    Squirrel, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Squirrel

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:01:38 +1300, Squirrel wrote:

    > Out of town on business soon, will be taking lap top and needles to
    > say want to access the Net, friend informs me that most trendy motely
    > supply BB and you just have to borrow a cable from them. Anyone heard
    > of this?

    I hadn't heard about broadband for motels. But hotels generally are moving
    towards providing broadband access.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
    will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."

    Bling Bling, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Philip Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > Out of town on business soon, will be taking lap top and needles to
    > say want to access the Net, friend informs me that most trendy motely
    > supply BB and you just have to borrow a cable from them. Anyone heard
    > of this? I was assuming I owuld have to use dial up and balked at
    > having to pay $2.50 an hour for the privelige after paying so much for
    > BB at home, Telescum for you I guess.
    >
    > Squirrel

    Some of the trendier motels have broadband, tho some charge for it like
    wounded bulls. Some of this is understandable if they are still on the
    discredited Telecom gouge called "business broadband".

    Most motels or hotels will have a phone line in the room. Cheaper motels
    and those letting by the hour may not have a phone in the room, but then
    if you are staying there you probably don't care and the noises through
    the wall will probably be enough distraction or entertainment to stop
    you complaining too much.

    Bite the bullet, take an extra length phone cable with a double adaptor
    so you can keep the room phone plugged in, and remember that motel
    owners are not allowed by law to buy light bulbs more powerful than 60
    watts, and that all phone sockets are required to be located more than 3
    metres from any imaginable work surface that could sustain the weight of
    a laptop.

    A subsection of the same regulation calls for any power point to be
    located in a dark corner behind a heavy piece of furniture. In many
    motels that powerpoint will already be sprouting an excrescence of
    multiple adaptors that may dim the lights, kill the air conditioning or
    cause the fridge to come over all warm and drippy, which is good if it's
    who you took there with you, bad if it's where you stored the beer.

    Philip

    Philip, Oct 21, 2005
  4. Squirrel

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    Squirrel wrote:

    > Out of town on business soon, will be taking lap top and needles to
    > say want to access the Net, friend informs me that most trendy motely
    > supply BB and you just have to borrow a cable from them. Anyone heard
    > of this? I was assuming I owuld have to use dial up and balked at
    > having to pay $2.50 an hour for the privelige after paying so much for
    > BB at home, Telescum for you I guess.
    >
    > Squirrel
    >

    > I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    I travel routinely for work all over the country. An increasing number of
    motels are supplying broadband, some even have WiFi (but usually only in
    reception). I suggest you take your own cable etc. If the motel only has
    dial-up make sure you have a BT-RJ11 adaptor. Nothings more frustrating
    than not being able to connect because your modem cable has a BT socket but
    the motel/hotel has a RJ11 plug. The motels seldom have cables/adaptors
    they can loan you and most have no clue about anything even vaguely
    technical.

    If you stay at a newer motel there is the possibility that it will have
    in-room broadband. for example I stayed recently at the very new Lodge
    Bordeaux in Whangarei, http://www.lodgebordeaux.co.nz/ and they had free
    in-room broadband, not sure of the speed but I'm guessing 256k or
    thereabouts. There's also Puriri Park in Tauranga,
    http://www.puriripark.co.nz/ that has in-room broadband.

    It really depends where you are going. And yes, you usually will have to
    pay, all calls including internet connections will be added to your bill.

    Mackin.

    Mackin_NZ, Oct 21, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > Out of town on business soon, will be taking lap top and needles to
    > say want to access the Net, friend informs me that most trendy motely
    > supply BB and you just have to borrow a cable from them. Anyone heard
    > of this? I was assuming I owuld have to use dial up and balked at
    > having to pay $2.50 an hour for the privelige after paying so much for
    > BB at home, Telescum for you I guess.
    > Squirrel

    Might be ethernet cable..

    Craig Sutton, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:29:56 +1300, Mackin_NZ
    <> wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >
    >> Out of town on business soon, will be taking lap top and needles to
    >> say want to access the Net, friend informs me that most trendy motely
    >> supply BB and you just have to borrow a cable from them. Anyone heard
    >> of this? I was assuming I owuld have to use dial up and balked at
    >> having to pay $2.50 an hour for the privelige after paying so much for
    >> BB at home, Telescum for you I guess.
    >>
    >> Squirrel
    >>

    >> I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    >I travel routinely for work all over the country. An increasing number of
    >motels are supplying broadband, some even have WiFi (but usually only in
    >reception). I suggest you take your own cable etc. If the motel only has
    >dial-up make sure you have a BT-RJ11 adaptor. Nothings more frustrating
    >than not being able to connect because your modem cable has a BT socket but
    >the motel/hotel has a RJ11 plug. The motels seldom have cables/adaptors
    >they can loan you and most have no clue about anything even vaguely
    >technical.
    >
    >If you stay at a newer motel there is the possibility that it will have
    >in-room broadband. for example I stayed recently at the very new Lodge
    >Bordeaux in Whangarei, http://www.lodgebordeaux.co.nz/ and they had free
    >in-room broadband, not sure of the speed but I'm guessing 256k or
    >thereabouts. There's also Puriri Park in Tauranga,
    >http://www.puriripark.co.nz/ that has in-room broadband.
    >
    >It really depends where you are going. And yes, you usually will have to
    >pay, all calls including internet connections will be added to your bill.
    >
    >Mackin.

    I thought it would be charged (dial up) to my telecom account?

    Squirrel, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:30:12 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> Out of town on business soon, will be taking lap top and needles to
    >> say want to access the Net, friend informs me that most trendy motely
    >> supply BB and you just have to borrow a cable from them. Anyone heard
    >> of this? I was assuming I owuld have to use dial up and balked at
    >> having to pay $2.50 an hour for the privelige after paying so much for
    >> BB at home, Telescum for you I guess.
    >> Squirrel
    >>

    >Might be ethernet cable..

    Will take it in case

    Squirrel, Oct 21, 2005
  8. Squirrel

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    Squirrel wrote:

    <snip>

    >>It really depends where you are going. And yes, you usually will have to
    >>pay, all calls including internet connections will be added to your bill.
    >>
    >>Mackin.

    > I thought it would be charged (dial up) to my telecom account?
    >
    > Squirrel

    My experience has been that dial-up internet connections are always charged
    as local calls and added to the bill. The motel is a business and has to
    pay for every call including internet calls. They recover that cost from
    you.

    I usually end up paying around $20 in phone charges on top of the
    accommodation.

    Mackin.

    Mackin_NZ, Oct 21, 2005
  9. Squirrel

    Philip Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:29:56 +1300, Mackin_NZ
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Squirrel wrote:
    >>

    >>>Out of town on business soon, will be taking lap top and needles to
    >>>say want to access the Net, friend informs me that most trendy motely
    >>>supply BB and you just have to borrow a cable from them. Anyone heard
    >>>of this? I was assuming I owuld have to use dial up and balked at
    >>>having to pay $2.50 an hour for the privelige after paying so much for
    >>>BB at home, Telescum for you I guess.
    >>>
    >>>Squirrel
    >>>

    >>>I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    >>I travel routinely for work all over the country. An increasing number of
    >>motels are supplying broadband, some even have WiFi (but usually only in
    >>reception). I suggest you take your own cable etc. If the motel only has
    >>dial-up make sure you have a BT-RJ11 adaptor. Nothings more frustrating
    >>than not being able to connect because your modem cable has a BT socket but
    >>the motel/hotel has a RJ11 plug. The motels seldom have cables/adaptors
    >>they can loan you and most have no clue about anything even vaguely
    >>technical.
    >>
    >>If you stay at a newer motel there is the possibility that it will have
    >>in-room broadband. for example I stayed recently at the very new Lodge
    >>Bordeaux in Whangarei, http://www.lodgebordeaux.co.nz/ and they had free
    >>in-room broadband, not sure of the speed but I'm guessing 256k or
    >>thereabouts. There's also Puriri Park in Tauranga,
    >>http://www.puriripark.co.nz/ that has in-room broadband.
    >>
    >>It really depends where you are going. And yes, you usually will have to
    >>pay, all calls including internet connections will be added to your bill.
    >>
    >>Mackin.

    > I thought it would be charged (dial up) to my telecom account?

    The motel will charge you whatever it likes for the dial-up onnection to
    the "free" 0867 number used by your ISP. This will range betwen nothing
    up to a wholly unjustifiable per-minute charge. You'll need to ask what
    their policy is at the desk. My experience in and out of Auckland has
    been that I've never paid more than 20 cents a time, and very often they
    just say "forget it".

    Calls you make from the motel are nothing to do with your Telecom
    account, and the only way that could be involved would be if you were to
    use a Telecom calling card to bill your home number for calls you make
    elsewhere.

    I wouldn't recommend that.

    Philip

    Philip, Oct 22, 2005
  10. Squirrel

    PC Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > Squirrel wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:29:56 +1300, Mackin_NZ
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>I travel routinely for work all over the country. An increasing number
    >>>of
    >>>motels are supplying broadband, some even have WiFi (but usually only in
    >>>reception). I suggest you take your own cable etc. If the motel only has
    >>>dial-up make sure you have a BT-RJ11 adaptor. Nothings more frustrating
    >>>than not being able to connect because your modem cable has a BT socket
    >>>but
    >>>the motel/hotel has a RJ11 plug. The motels seldom have cables/adaptors
    >>>they can loan you and most have no clue about anything even vaguely
    >>>technical.
    >>>If you stay at a newer motel there is the possibility that it will have
    >>>in-room broadband. for example I stayed recently at the very new Lodge
    >>>Bordeaux in Whangarei, http://www.lodgebordeaux.co.nz/ and they had free
    >>>in-room broadband, not sure of the speed but I'm guessing 256k or
    >>>thereabouts. There's also Puriri Park in Tauranga,
    >>>http://www.puriripark.co.nz/ that has in-room broadband.
    >>>
    >>>It really depends where you are going. And yes, you usually will have to
    >>>pay, all calls including internet connections will be added to your bill.
    >>>Mackin.

    >> I thought it would be charged (dial up) to my telecom account?
    >>

    > The motel will charge you whatever it likes for the dial-up onnection to
    > the "free" 0867 number used by your ISP. This will range betwen nothing up
    > to a wholly unjustifiable per-minute charge. You'll need to ask what their
    > policy is at the desk. My experience in and out of Auckland has been that
    > I've never paid more than 20 cents a time, and very often they just say
    > "forget it".
    >
    > Calls you make from the motel are nothing to do with your Telecom account,
    > and the only way that could be involved would be if you were to use a
    > Telecom calling card to bill your home number for calls you make
    > elsewhere.
    >
    > I wouldn't recommend that.
    >
    > Philip

    Squirrel

    You will have to contact each Motel (or Hotel) to find out their individual
    services and charges.

    If you are an 'Xtra' customer with Broadband at your usual place of Internet
    usage then 'Xtra' will charge you $2.50 per hour or part thereof for an
    'extra' dial up connection from any phone in NZ including your own. i.e. it
    is a 'second' connection and that is the 'fee' for providing that service.
    Note this 'service' automatically comes with Xtra accounts, if you don't use
    it, no charge.
    If you think that is unreasonable try Clear/Paradise. They require a second
    connection (dial up) fee in the order of $10 - $15 per month minimum 'every
    month' irrespective of whether you use it or not. (It's effectively a second
    ISP account)

    On top of the 'Xtra' dial in fee, if the Motel you stay at provides a phone
    to your room, then they 'may' charge you for any calls you make, either
    voice or data. Some will charge a fee per minute some a fixed fee per call,
    others will say 'no charge'
    Be aware some Motels have 'captive' phone leads i.e. not plugged in but hard
    wired permanently.
    In these circumstances you can 'risk it' and take a suitable 'kit' with you,
    not that I"m advocating you break any rules.
    (I have done it but with explicit permisssion of the management)

    If the Motel does provide Broadband the possibilities are:
    Wirless hot spot in (say) a common lounge or your room, maybe free maybe
    charged for, you will likely need some sort of access key to use it.
    Hard wired Ethernet socket connected back to their own Hub/Switch for you to
    plug your LAN socket into with a standard drop cable. These are the easiest
    to use as all you usually have to do is plug it in and let DHCP assign your
    laptop an TCP/IP address and away you go.
    Prices are again Motel dependant, I have stayed at a Hotel in Sydney where
    there was a 100Mbit LAN socket in each room to a 5Mbit Internet connection,
    fee? $25.00 for the first half hour to 24 hours, effectively a $25 per day
    fee for BB access (was 4 years ago though, I would expect prices have come
    down a lot since then)

    As I said at the start best ring each one to find out the 'oil'

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 22, 2005
  11. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:52:31 +1300, Mackin_NZ
    <> wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >

    >>>It really depends where you are going. And yes, you usually will have to
    >>>pay, all calls including internet connections will be added to your bill.
    >>>
    >>>Mackin.

    >> I thought it would be charged (dial up) to my telecom account?
    >>
    >> Squirrel
    >>

    >My experience has been that dial-up internet connections are always charged
    >as local calls and added to the bill. The motel is a business and has to
    >pay for every call including internet calls. They recover that cost from
    >you.
    >
    >I usually end up paying around $20 in phone charges on top of the
    >accommodation.
    >
    >Mackin.

    Trap for young players then :(

    Squirrel, Oct 22, 2005
  12. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:16:40 +1300, Philip <>
    wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:29:56 +1300, Mackin_NZ
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>I travel routinely for work all over the country. An increasing number of
    >>>motels are supplying broadband, some even have WiFi (but usually only in
    >>>reception). I suggest you take your own cable etc. If the motel only has
    >>>dial-up make sure you have a BT-RJ11 adaptor. Nothings more frustrating
    >>>than not being able to connect because your modem cable has a BT socket but
    >>>the motel/hotel has a RJ11 plug. The motels seldom have cables/adaptors
    >>>they can loan you and most have no clue about anything even vaguely
    >>>technical.
    >>>
    >>>If you stay at a newer motel there is the possibility that it will have
    >>>in-room broadband. for example I stayed recently at the very new Lodge
    >>>Bordeaux in Whangarei, http://www.lodgebordeaux.co.nz/ and they had free
    >>>in-room broadband, not sure of the speed but I'm guessing 256k or
    >>>thereabouts. There's also Puriri Park in Tauranga,
    >>>http://www.puriripark.co.nz/ that has in-room broadband.
    >>>
    >>>It really depends where you are going. And yes, you usually will have to
    >>>pay, all calls including internet connections will be added to your bill.
    >>>
    >>>Mackin.

    >> I thought it would be charged (dial up) to my telecom account?
    >>

    >The motel will charge you whatever it likes for the dial-up onnection to
    >the "free" 0867 number used by your ISP. This will range betwen nothing
    >up to a wholly unjustifiable per-minute charge. You'll need to ask what
    >their policy is at the desk. My experience in and out of Auckland has
    >been that I've never paid more than 20 cents a time, and very often they
    >just say "forget it".
    >
    >Calls you make from the motel are nothing to do with your Telecom
    >account, and the only way that could be involved would be if you were to
    >use a Telecom calling card to bill your home number for calls you make
    >elsewhere.
    >
    >I wouldn't recommend that.
    >
    >Philip

    Think I will just play pinball lol

    Squirrel, Oct 22, 2005
  13. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:07:11 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:

> [...]

    >If the Motel does provide Broadband the possibilities are:
    >Wirless hot spot in (say) a common lounge or your room, maybe free maybe
    >charged for, you will likely need some sort of access key to use it.
    >Hard wired Ethernet socket connected back to their own Hub/Switch for you to
    >plug your LAN socket into with a standard drop cable. These are the easiest
    >to use as all you usually have to do is plug it in and let DHCP assign your
    >laptop an TCP/IP address and away you go.
    >Prices are again Motel dependant, I have stayed at a Hotel in Sydney where
    >there was a 100Mbit LAN socket in each room to a 5Mbit Internet connection,
    >fee? $25.00 for the first half hour to 24 hours, effectively a $25 per day
    >fee for BB access (was 4 years ago though, I would expect prices have come
    >down a lot since then)
    >
    >As I said at the start best ring each one to find out the 'oil'

    Thanx

    Squirrel, Oct 22, 2005
  14. Squirrel

    Rob J Guest

    In article <4359bd91$>, says...
    > Squirrel wrote:
    > > On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:29:56 +1300, Mackin_NZ
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>I travel routinely for work all over the country. An increasing number of
    > >>motels are supplying broadband, some even have WiFi (but usually only in
    > >>reception). I suggest you take your own cable etc. If the motel only has
    > >>dial-up make sure you have a BT-RJ11 adaptor. Nothings more frustrating
    > >>than not being able to connect because your modem cable has a BT socket but
    > >>the motel/hotel has a RJ11 plug. The motels seldom have cables/adaptors
    > >>they can loan you and most have no clue about anything even vaguely
    > >>technical.
    > >>
    > >>If you stay at a newer motel there is the possibility that it will have
    > >>in-room broadband. for example I stayed recently at the very new Lodge
    > >>Bordeaux in Whangarei, http://www.lodgebordeaux.co.nz/ and they had free
    > >>in-room broadband, not sure of the speed but I'm guessing 256k or
    > >>thereabouts. There's also Puriri Park in Tauranga,
    > >>http://www.puriripark.co.nz/ that has in-room broadband.
    > >>
    > >>It really depends where you are going. And yes, you usually will have to
    > >>pay, all calls including internet connections will be added to your bill.
    > >>
    > >>Mackin.

    > > I thought it would be charged (dial up) to my telecom account?
    > >

    > The motel will charge you whatever it likes for the dial-up onnection to
    > the "free" 0867 number used by your ISP. This will range betwen nothing
    > up to a wholly unjustifiable per-minute charge.

    Wholly justified. 0867 calls on a business or other pay-per-minute line
    are charged per minute just like any other call on a business line.

    Rob J, Oct 22, 2005
  15. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:48:30 +1300, Rob J <> wrote:

    >In article <4359bd91$>, says...
    >> Squirrel wrote:

    >> > I thought it would be charged (dial up) to my telecom account?
    >> >

    >> The motel will charge you whatever it likes for the dial-up onnection to
    >> the "free" 0867 number used by your ISP. This will range betwen nothing
    >> up to a wholly unjustifiable per-minute charge.

    >Wholly justified. 0867 calls on a business or other pay-per-minute line
    >are charged per minute just like any other call on a business line.

    I asked Xtra for the dial up number and they said 087 30 30 30

    Squirrel, Oct 22, 2005
  16. Squirrel

    Philip Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <4359bd91$>, says...
    >
    >>Squirrel wrote:

    >>>I thought it would be charged (dial up) to my telecom account?
    >>>

    >>The motel will charge you whatever it likes for the dial-up onnection to
    >>the "free" 0867 number used by your ISP. This will range betwen nothing
    >>up to a wholly unjustifiable per-minute charge.

    > Wholly justified. 0867 calls on a business or other pay-per-minute line
    > are charged per minute just like any other call on a business line.

    Why? Why should "business" users be charged higher rates than
    residential users? How do Telecom get off raising a charge on 08nnn
    numbers? The reality is that this is another example of unjustifiable
    gouging by rip-off Telecom, that sponges on every New Zealand business
    to grab money it hasn't earned and doesn't deserve. The monthly Telecom
    tax most businesses have to pay is often more than they would save by a
    cut in company tax rates - and it goes out of the country, away from any
    possible reinvestment in our country and our economy.

    Ask Richard Prebble why the privatization was as bad as it was. Why the
    government of the day virtually gave away the network asset. Why the
    public utility principle was almost out of sight in the privatization
    deal. Why a largely foreign-owned company is allowed to greedy on New
    Zealand consumers, using an asset based built and paid for by New
    Zealand taxpayers and sold to them in a classic third-world deal at
    knock-down prices .

    Telecom is hugely profitable for its owners, most of whom don't know or
    care what happens here. How is that a good solution for our country? Its
    monopoly position allows it to exploit all of us, to greedy on our
    businesses and home users, and to be accountable to nobody.

    And why is the supposed regulatory authority such a poodle? Where did
    the demented commissioners get the idea that 128kbit/sec was an
    acceptable upper limit for broadband. Why hasn't someone hit them about
    the head with a wet terakihi until they change that? How come decisions
    by foreign owned companies are so sacred in the administration of
    telecoms in this country? How come we are so spineless that we lie back
    ans say "come on, grab what you like and if we frown at you, it just
    means we are enjoying it all the more?"

    And whenever anyone suggests that as a virtual monopoly public utility
    this dreadful company should show some measure of responsibility to the
    place it's ripping off, it whines and snivels about interference with
    the market.

    Telecom and its abusive practices are the biggest interference with the
    New Zealand telecommunications market.

    Its lousy policies are the reason we are at the bottom of the OECD table
    for broadband take up. Its base standard for broadband doesn't even meet
    the ITU definition of broadband.

    Its attitude on charging, termination costs, call costs, broadband
    pricing is always the same. Lie back and get screwed because there's no
    choice.

    That's what I mean by unjustified.

    Philip

    Philip, Oct 22, 2005
  17. Squirrel

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    Squirrel wrote:

    <snip>

    >>Wholly justified. 0867 calls on a business or other pay-per-minute line
    >>are charged per minute just like any other call on a business line.
    >>

    > I asked Xtra for the dial up number and they said 087 30 30 30
    >
    > Squirrel

    That's correct. On a business line 087 call are charged per minute.

    Mackin

    Mackin_NZ, Oct 22, 2005
  18. Squirrel

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:01:38 +1300, Squirrel <> wrote:

    >Out of town on business soon, will be taking lap top and needles to
    >say want to access the Net, friend informs me that most trendy motely
    >supply BB and you just have to borrow a cable from them. Anyone heard
    >of this? I was assuming I owuld have to use dial up and balked at
    >having to pay $2.50 an hour for the privelige after paying so much for
    >BB at home, Telescum for you I guess.

    We stayed at Campbell AutoLodge in Te Anau in June last year and it had free
    broadband in the room. It was off season too so it only cost $99 a night for
    the upstairs room with a view of the lake from memory.

    You just needed your own network cable, and set your comp to pick up a DHCP
    assigned address. They had instructions on how to do that in the rooms.
    The ethernet port was in the bedroom at a desk between the beds.

    Their www site is pretty crap, and doesn't even mention the broadband
    www.cal.co.nz

    Craig Shore, Oct 23, 2005
  19. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:30:38 +1300, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:01:38 +1300, Squirrel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Out of town on business soon, will be taking lap top and needles to
    >>say want to access the Net, friend informs me that most trendy motely
    >>supply BB and you just have to borrow a cable from them. Anyone heard
    >>of this? I was assuming I owuld have to use dial up and balked at
    >>having to pay $2.50 an hour for the privelige after paying so much for
    >>BB at home, Telescum for you I guess.

    >We stayed at Campbell AutoLodge in Te Anau in June last year and it had free
    >broadband in the room. It was off season too so it only cost $99 a night for
    >the upstairs room with a view of the lake from memory.
    >
    >You just needed your own network cable, and set your comp to pick up a DHCP
    >assigned address. They had instructions on how to do that in the rooms.
    >The ethernet port was in the bedroom at a desk between the beds.
    >
    >Their www site is pretty crap, and doesn't even mention the broadband
    >www.cal.co.nz

    I will be staying at Hamilton Airport Inn, might email them sometime
    before I go and ask, although I did email and asked them about their
    smoking policy, and could I have a smoking room, and never heard back
    *shrug*

    Squirrel

    You can't teach what you dont know - Wayne King

    Squirrel, Oct 24, 2005
  20. Squirrel

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Rob J wrote:

    > >>The motel will charge you whatever it likes for the dial-up onnection to
    > >>the "free" 0867 number used by your ISP. This will range betwen nothing
    > >>up to a wholly unjustifiable per-minute charge.

    > > Wholly justified. 0867 calls on a business or other pay-per-minute line
    > > are charged per minute just like any other call on a business line.
    > >

    > Why? Why should "business" users be charged higher rates than
    > residential users? How do Telecom get off raising a charge on 08nnn
    > numbers? The reality is that this is another example of unjustifiable
    > gouging by rip-off Telecom, that sponges on every New Zealand business
    > to grab money it hasn't earned and doesn't deserve. The monthly Telecom
    > tax most businesses have to pay is often more than they would save by a
    > cut in company tax rates - and it goes out of the country, away from any
    > possible reinvestment in our country and our economy.

    What you miss the point of is that on a business line ALL calls are
    charged except, I presume, 0800 numbers which are free for everyone,
    including payphones. The actual costs of 0800 calls are charged to the
    company providing the 0800 service.

    0867 is not a free calling number like 0800, it is just a mechanism that
    means an ISP can offer a nationwide number instead of local calling
    numbers for each region as they used to do.

    > Ask Richard Prebble why the privatization was as bad as it was. Why the
    > government of the day virtually gave away the network asset.

    Probably worth little in absolute terms.

    > Why the
    > public utility principle was almost out of sight in the privatization
    > deal. Why a largely foreign-owned company is allowed to greedy on New
    > Zealand consumers, using an asset based built and paid for by New
    > Zealand taxpayers and sold to them in a classic third-world deal at
    > knock-down prices .

    Yawn yawn yawn....boring socialist cant... the taxpayers wasted a lot of
    money that didn't mean anything, like you can waste money on your house
    and not get any more for it when you sell it.

    > Telecom is hugely profitable for its owners, most of whom don't know or
    > care what happens here. How is that a good solution for our country? Its
    > monopoly position allows it to exploit all of us, to greedy on our
    > businesses and home users, and to be accountable to nobody.

    The only reason it has a monopoly in some areas is no one else can be
    bothered building their own infrastructure, Telstra are too greedy
    themselves to go on building their own lines network, they just put
    lines around the CBDs in bigger cities.

    > And why is the supposed regulatory authority such a poodle? Where did
    > the demented commissioners get the idea that 128kbit/sec was an
    > acceptable upper limit for broadband. Why hasn't someone hit them about
    > the head with a wet terakihi until they change that? How come decisions
    > by foreign owned companies are so sacred in the administration of
    > telecoms in this country? How come we are so spineless that we lie back
    > ans say "come on, grab what you like and if we frown at you, it just
    > means we are enjoying it all the more?"

    As a lesson for socialists, firstly regulatory authorities are a blunt
    instrument, that rarely works well. Second point, Telecom drives a lot
    of our stock market, kill the goose and the market will collapse.

    If anyone was really interested in our small market they would have come
    in and built their own network by now, Saturn tried this and then
    Telstra bought them out and put a stop to it. Telstra is a typical
    socialistic business that wants the government to intervene so they can
    make bigger profits.

    Rob J, Oct 24, 2005