    when starting out in the IT industry?

    It has removed 8196 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
    dannobyte, Aug 18, 2005

  2. dannobyte

    Gary Guest

    Experience...........

    Gary, Aug 18, 2005

  3. dannobyte

    smackedass Guest

    > I know some poeple out of college who don't know their a$$ from a hole in
    > the ground. =)

    Don't we all. But for some reason, they often manage to get hired in front
    of the rest of us.

    sa
    smackedass, Aug 21, 2005
  4. On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:52:32 GMT, "Robert"
    <> wrote:

    >"smackedass" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm going to say that none of us really mean to be especially sarcastic,
    >> but suffice to say, certs are only ancilliary to a technician's entire
    >> chest of knowledge. Yeah, they're good to have, some employers demand
    >> them, but there's no substitute for real experience, or for a college
    >> degree.
    >>
    >> smackedass
    >>

    >I know some poeple out of college who don't know their a$$ from a hole in
    >the ground. =)

    Operative word here is "some"...I know some people who didn't go to
    college who have a chip on their shoulders about those who did, also.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 21, 2005
  5. Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:52:32 GMT, "Robert"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"smackedass" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I'm going to say that none of us really mean to be especially sarcastic,
    >>>but suffice to say, certs are only ancilliary to a technician's entire
    >>>chest of knowledge. Yeah, they're good to have, some employers demand
    >>>them, but there's no substitute for real experience, or for a college
    >>>degree.
    >>>
    >>>smackedass
    >>>

    >>I know some poeple out of college who don't know their a$$ from a hole in
    >>the ground. =)
    >>

    > Operative word here is "some"...I know some people who didn't go to
    > college who have a chip on their shoulders about those who did, also.
    >
    > Tom

    I will admit to having a 'chip on my shoulder' because, some of the Tech
    Support people I have come across, that have college degrees, know
    squat, not only about Tech Support, but also, Public Relations. I end
    up having to teach them, to get my answer.

    I am studying to get my A+, Net+ and, Server+. Despite not having certs
    yet, or any degrees outright, I don't treat people like 'blithering
    idiots', regardless of, if they behave like them around a PC.

    Christopher
    Christopher Range, Sep 5, 2005
  6. On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:00:51 -0500, Christopher Range
    <> wrote:

    >Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:52:32 GMT, "Robert"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"smackedass" <> wrote in message

    >>>I know some poeple out of college who don't know their a$$ from a hole in
    >>>the ground. =)
    >>>

    >> Operative word here is "some"...I know some people who didn't go to
    >> college who have a chip on their shoulders about those who did, also.
    >>
    >> Tom

    >I will admit to having a 'chip on my shoulder' because, some of the Tech
    >Support people I have come across, that have college degrees, know
    >squat, not only about Tech Support, but also, Public Relations. I end
    >up having to teach them, to get my answer.
    >
    >I am studying to get my A+, Net+ and, Server+. Despite not having certs
    >yet, or any degrees outright, I don't treat people like 'blithering
    >idiots', regardless of, if they behave like them around a PC.
    >
    >Christopher

    You are right...it doesn't necessarily follow that a degreed person is
    the best "fit", at least.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 6, 2005
  7. dannobyte

    J. Clarke Guest

    Christopher Range wrote:

    > Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:52:32 GMT, "Robert"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"smackedass" <> wrote in message

    >>>I know some poeple out of college who don't know their a$$ from a hole in
    >>>the ground. =)
    >>>

    >> Operative word here is "some"...I know some people who didn't go to
    >> college who have a chip on their shoulders about those who did, also.
    >>
    >> Tom

    > I will admit to having a 'chip on my shoulder' because, some of the Tech
    > Support people I have come across, that have college degrees, know
    > squat, not only about Tech Support, but also, Public Relations. I end
    > up having to teach them, to get my answer.
    >
    > I am studying to get my A+, Net+ and, Server+. Despite not having certs
    > yet, or any degrees outright, I don't treat people like 'blithering
    > idiots', regardless of, if they behave like them around a PC.

    After 8 years in college and several degrees, I learned more in the first 30
    days on the job than I learned in _all_ that education. Wish I hadn't
    wasted so much time in school now.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Nov 23, 2005
  8. dannobyte

    Guest

    I know some cert folk who can paper their walls, with 5+ years of
    experience who don't know anything. Can't really generalize.
    , Nov 30, 2005
  9. I would say what is more important and valuable
    is................experience. The certification is only a doorway to
    continue learning on the job.

    --
    Edward A. Weissbard
    El Paso, TX