MOST USEFUL Computer Language

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by English Teacher, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. What would be the most useful language to learn among:

    Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?
    English Teacher, Oct 21, 2003

  2. "English Teacher" <> wrote:

    > What would be the most useful language to learn among:
    > Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?

    Please when you start religious wars, keep crossposting to a minimum;
    how can you possibly think all those rec.* groups would be interested
    in the answer?

    xanthian.

    [And what language is "most useful" depends entirely on what tasks
    you want to do with it.]

    Kent Paul Dolan, Oct 21, 2003

  3. English Teacher

    Bill Godfrey Guest

    (Followups to comp.programming only.)

    (English Teacher) wrote:
    > What would be the most useful language to learn among:
    > Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?

    It depends what you want to do. Each of these languages (arguably) have
    thier niche.

    What do you want to do? I can't think of a programming task that
    encompasses woodwork, photography technique, 35mm cameras and computer
    theory.

    Unless you want to build a robot with a built in 35mm camera that knows
    about composition and light levels that will also construct a turing
    machine from wood.

    Bill, I'd use C++.

    --
    The address in the reply to header is correct, but I'll
    read it quicker if you drop the word "usenet".
    Bill Godfrey, Oct 21, 2003
  4. English Teacher

    gswork Guest

    (English Teacher) wrote in message news:<>...
    > What would be the most useful language to learn among:
    >
    > Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?

    That would depend on whether it's for woodworking or 35mm camera equipment.
    gswork, Oct 21, 2003
  5. English Teacher

    Martijn Guest

    English Teacher wrote:
    > What would be the most useful language to learn among:
    >
    > Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?

    I would go with Java, 'cause coffee is useful during any of the activities
    discussed in the newsgroups this has been sent to.

    --
    Martijn
    http://www.sereneconcepts.nl
    Martijn, Oct 21, 2003
  6. "Martijn" <> writes:
    > English Teacher wrote:
    > > What would be the most useful language to learn among:
    > >
    > > Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?

    > I would go with Java, 'cause coffee is useful during any of the activities
    > discussed in the newsgroups this has been sent to.

    Well, I prefer T. Also, with too much caffeine, I have trouble handholding
    lenses at slower speeds.

    Regards,
    Chris

    --
    Bokeh test images: http://www.bokeh.de/en/bokeh_images.html
    Christoph Breitkopf, Oct 21, 2003
  7. English Teacher

    Mark Guest

    (English Teacher) writes:
    >What would be the most useful language to learn among:
    >Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?

    One that incorporates as much of an algebraic theory of control flow
    structures within by embedding the greatest degree of equivalences
    between them. This is especially important for the deployment of
    practical algebraic tools and methods for mathematical verification,
    transformation and optimization.

    Both C and C++ have the required degree of fluidity in their control
    flow structures. In contrast, things tends to be frozen in place in
    Java and BASIC dialects, thus increasingly requiring algebraic steps in
    control flow structure manipulations and computations to go outside the
    language during intermediate steps.

    Also important is to minimize the degree of built-in'edness, which
    really straightjackets everything at the outset. This is directly tied
    to the issue of fluidity: more built-in'edness tends to be symptomatic
    of lesser fluidity.

    This, too, favors a C/C++ approach, with suitable libraries (if need
    be) to handle the native features that might be incorporated in the
    other languages. C++ has the best advantage in terms of its ability
    (when used right) for nearly seamless extension by quasi-native add-ons.

    Ironically, strictures placed on some of the control flow structures --
    which greatly impedes the enterprise of algebraic mathematical
    verification, transformation and optimization, are often placed in the
    name of "reliability" (particularly, that put on the "for" loop in
    some of these languages, Pascal was the worst).

    If the BASIC dialects were to incorporate more of the C-like syntax, they'd
    have the advantage over C. C++, however, would probably still have the
    advantage over both, since you can bring in the features native to BASIC
    via appropriate class definitions.

    The main disadvantage of C++ is its overly-bureaucratic design. It's
    almost as if the language was conceived by a committee of suit-wearing
    company men at some large corporation or something, heavily imbued
    in the "latest-buzz" and "everything is a programme" mindset of companyese.
    Mark, Oct 21, 2003
  8. English Teacher

    Alan Browne Guest

    English Teacher wrote:

    > What would be the most useful language to learn among:
    >
    > Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?

    TrollMasher++ 3.0
    Alan Browne, Oct 21, 2003
  9. English Teacher

    Guest

    In rec.photo.digital English Teacher <> wrote:
    > What would be the most useful language to learn among:

    Before you plunge into learning a computer language, consider
    learning english and Internet ettiquette.
    , Oct 21, 2003
  10. So your vote is COBOL, right ?

    So I installed it on Linux...

    David Binkowski, Oct 22, 2003
  11. English Teacher

    Jerry Nash Guest

    On 20 Oct 2003 23:55:11 -0700, English Teacher <> wrote:
    >What would be the most useful language to learn among:
    >
    >Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?

    Python
    Jerry Nash, Oct 22, 2003
  12. English Teacher wrote:

    > What would be the most useful language to learn among:
    >
    > Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?

    What are you trying to *do* with the computer language???
    Different languages are better for different things...

    Charles Richmond, Oct 22, 2003
  13. Depends on what you want to do with it. For me it would be
    C++ today. Terrible shame that Pascal didn't survive.

    rhg

    Robert Galloway, Oct 23, 2003
  14. Robert Galloway wrote:

    > Depends on what you want to do with it. For me it would be
    > C++ today. Terrible shame that Pascal didn't survive.

    Pascal is alive and well and living (in mutant form) as Delphi. And
    Open Pascal. And... others :>

    --
    Corey Murtagh
    The Electric Monk
    Corey Murtagh, Oct 23, 2003
  15. English Teacher

    Hans Roos Guest

    Robert Galloway wrote:
    > Depends on what you want to do with it. For me it would be
    > C++ today. Terrible shame that Pascal didn't survive.
    >
    > rhg

    Pascal *did* survive, it's called Delphi (since 1995) and it is a great
    progamming language!

    Hans.
    Hans Roos, Oct 23, 2003
  16. Now that I think of it, probably Z80 assembler. Until the last
    decade or so (maybe it still is !!!) the Space Shuttle used old
    Z80 processors with 8 bit software... Would you upgrade
    to anything newer? I can't go a day without rebooting my
    Windows desktop at work...

    Hmmmm, yes. Definitely Z80 assembler is THE most
    important and marketable language today !!!

    So I installed it on Linux...

    David Binkowski, Oct 24, 2003
  17. Troll Alert: Re: MOST USEFUL Computer Language

    English Teacher wrote:

    > What would be the most useful language to learn among:
    >
    > Java, C, C#, C++, VB, VB.NET, DELPHI?

    There are some trolls from rec.woodworking that are posting
    these kind of religious issues to various "news:comp.*"
    newsgroups.

    See:
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_q=r...-8&oe=UTF-8&as_ugroup=comp.*&lr=&num=50&hl=en
    (The above URL should be on one line with no spaces).

    If the OP would search rec.woodworking, he/she would already
    find the answers.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:
    Thomas Matthews, Oct 24, 2003
  18. English Teacher

    pH Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 05:26:45 GMT, "David Binkowski" <>
    wrote:

    >Now that I think of it, probably Z80 assembler. Until the last
    >decade or so (maybe it still is !!!) the Space Shuttle used old
    >Z80 processors with 8 bit software... Would you upgrade
    >to anything newer? I can't go a day without rebooting my
    >Windows desktop at work...

    You don't think that has a little more to do with the code, than the
    language?

    >Hmmmm, yes. Definitely Z80 assembler is THE most
    >important and marketable language today !!!

    I'd go so far as to agree that it's the most _useful_, in a strictly generic
    sense.

    Jeff

    http://www.jefftturner.com
    pH, Oct 25, 2003
  19. English Teacher

    Bob Sull Guest

    pH wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 05:26:45 GMT, "David Binkowski" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Now that I think of it, probably Z80 assembler. Until the last
    >>decade or so (maybe it still is !!!) the Space Shuttle used old
    >>Z80 processors with 8 bit software... Would you upgrade
    >>to anything newer? I can't go a day without rebooting my
    >>Windows desktop at work...

    > You don't think that has a little more to do with the code, than the
    > language?
    >

    >>Hmmmm, yes. Definitely Z80 assembler is THE most
    >>important and marketable language today !!!

    > I'd go so far as to agree that it's the most _useful_, in a strictly generic
    > sense.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > http://www.jefftturner.com

    I personally like Kodak Supra 100. But Kodak in it;s infinite wisdom,
    discontinued it and suggests Portra as a replacement and twice the cost.

    Bob
    Bob Sull, Oct 25, 2003
  20. English Teacher

    |-|erc Guest

    "David Binkowski" <> wrote
    > Now that I think of it, probably Z80 assembler. Until the last
    > decade or so (maybe it still is !!!) the Space Shuttle used old
    > Z80 processors with 8 bit software... Would you upgrade
    > to anything newer? I can't go a day without rebooting my
    > Windows desktop at work...
    >
    > Hmmmm, yes. Definitely Z80 assembler is THE most
    > important and marketable language today !!!

    you haven't seen Red Dwarf when Kryton says "the Starbug has
    crashed more times than a Z80!"

    Z80 assembler yuck, give me direct registers on the 6510 any day.

    Windows and 90% of programs you use are written in C so that is the most useful,
    for 99% of the functionality and 1% of the learning curve go for Delphi.

    Herc
    |-|erc, Oct 25, 2003