    This will probably be mostly for senior pictures, but already have some
    requests (and sessions done) for Wedding/couples.

    Thanks for any ideas.

    wavelength, Aug 11, 2005

  2. wavelength

    MoParMaN Guest

    "wavelength" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > My wife and I have been dabbling in outdoor portraiture of late (not
    > charging yet, but our friends are happy, and people who see the results
    > and did pay "pro's" are unhappy... read: Olan Mills), and I was
    > wondering what your list of most needed items for outdoor portraiture
    > would be? Please bar any desires to opine about your favorite dSLR or
    > lenses, I'll buy a better one when I start charging :) ... Just
    > wondering about any props, lighting tricks/tools, techniques, or
    > whatnot that might be interesting. I have a few, but I'd like to see
    > what you think first.
    >
    > This will probably be mostly for senior pictures, but already have some
    > requests (and sessions done) for Wedding/couples.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas.

    A good camera and spend some money on indirect lighting. Ya gotta get rid of
    all the shadows, specially in old people. Shadows scare the hell of them.

    --
    MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!

    MoParMaN, Aug 11, 2005

  3. wavelength

    wavelength Guest

    Dude,

    Seniors in high school. Like totally.

    wavelength, Aug 12, 2005
  4. wavelength

    [BnH] Guest

    Reflectors to diffuse the harsh lighting if you are shooting during mid day
    and some Broncolor Mobilite if you can afford them :)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Aug 12, 2005
  5. wavelength

    wavelength Guest

    Thanks,

    Needed suggestions on mobile lighting for future product shots also
    anyways. It's amazing what learning opportunities are presented when
    you offer your amatuer services for free. Just went to take pictures
    for a wood sculptor who had the most horrible lighting in his
    "showroom" (read:converted basement). I thought that he would have
    already spot-lighted the peices. I was wrong. He decided after us
    having borrowed an adjustabe floor lamp and a 150 watt bulb (oh, the
    shame) that he might get some spot lights installed.

    Amazing sculptures though. Can't imagine ever taking a full year to
    make my art. Photogs are the most impatient of artists. :0)

    wavelength, Aug 12, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    wavelength <> wrote:

    > My wife and I have been dabbling in outdoor portraiture of late (not
    > charging yet, but our friends are happy, and people who see the results
    > and did pay "pro's" are unhappy... read: Olan Mills), and I was
    > wondering what your list of most needed items for outdoor portraiture
    > would be? Please bar any desires to opine about your favorite dSLR or
    > lenses, I'll buy a better one when I start charging :) ... Just
    > wondering about any props, lighting tricks/tools, techniques, or
    > whatnot that might be interesting. I have a few, but I'd like to see
    > what you think first.

    Camera, film (digital or legacy), tripod...if wind isn't a problem, a
    reflector.

    I would not consider Olan Mills to be professional photography even
    though they charge money.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 12, 2005
  7. wavelength

    wavelength Guest

    Okay, maybe to clarify.

    Anyone have any tips that aren't sort of "duh" responses like the last
    one. Something actually interesting or inventive?

    wavelength, Aug 12, 2005
  8. wavelength

    Stacey Guest

    wavelength wrote:

    >and I was
    > wondering what your list of most needed items for outdoor portraiture
    > would be?

    A reflector. Makes all the difference in the world.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Aug 12, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    wavelength <> wrote:

    > Okay, maybe to clarify.
    >
    > Anyone have any tips that aren't sort of "duh" responses like the last
    > one. Something actually interesting or inventive?

    There is no magic in the box. Simplicity is the key.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 12, 2005
  10. In article <110820051859259888%>,
    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:

    > I would not consider Olan Mills to be professional photography even
    > though they charge money.

    Seeing how they pay people substandard wages to learn who would have
    figured they were.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    Gregory Blank, Aug 12, 2005
  11. wavelength

    Guest

    Stacey <> writes:

    > wavelength wrote:

    >>and I was wondering what your list of most needed items for outdoor
    >>portraiture would be?

    > A reflector. Makes all the difference in the world.

    What he said. A silver/white fire blanket or the like that is heavy
    enough to not blow away in the slightest breeze, and tough enough to
    last while being thrown on the rock/beach/lawn... is a huge win.

    And a couple of good folding chairs so the victim can rest/giggle at
    other/powder nose etc. And a couple of good blankets.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    , Aug 12, 2005
  12. On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:54:38 -0700, wavelength wrote:

    > My wife and I have been dabbling in outdoor portraiture of late (not
    > charging yet, but our friends are happy, and people who see the results
    > and did pay "pro's" are unhappy... read: Olan Mills), and I was wondering
    > what your list of most needed items for outdoor portraiture would be?
    > Please bar any desires to opine about your favorite dSLR or lenses, I'll
    > buy a better one when I start charging :) ... Just wondering about any
    > props, lighting tricks/tools, techniques, or whatnot that might be
    > interesting. I have a few, but I'd like to see what you think first.
    >
    > This will probably be mostly for senior pictures, but already have some
    > requests (and sessions done) for Wedding/couples.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas.

    What you need the most right now isn't hardware, it's knowledge. If you
    have that, you'll know what hardware you need.

    So, my suggestion is first go to the library -- yes, that building with
    all the books -- check out and STUDY every book they have on portraiture
    and lighting. In your case, you'll want to keep an eye out for books on
    "natural" or "available" light techniques for portrait and glamour
    photography. In many case, a lot of these books will be 10, 15, 20 years
    old or older. Doesn't matter, the lighting techniques still apply today.

    Once, you've done that, go to a bookstore and BUY two or three books on
    natural and artificial lighting for general portraiture as well as glamour
    and theatrical photography.

    Once you've done all that, you'll know what do-dads you'll need for your
    outdoor portraits. You'll also know what makes for a good field portrait.

    And by all means, when starting out follow the KISS principle: Keep It
    Simple, Stupid. ;-)

    Stefan

    stefan patric, Aug 14, 2005
  13. wavelength

    Ben Brugman Guest

    As allready discribed in the other replies,
    light is your most important tool.

    The method I had some success with
    was tele lens and a flash. Expose normally
    and use the flash only to light up shadows.
    (-1.3/-1.5/-1.7 underexposure for the flash
    with TTL-metering).
    (With this setup I could make rather
    spontanious photo's (forgive me my English)).

    Reflectors are a great idea, but take more
    'organisation'.

    ben brugman

    Ben Brugman, Aug 19, 2005