    control still lets about 20% of the junk mail into my Inbox folder. Is
    there a best way of utilizing it so that the number of junk mail in my
    Inbox folder is minimized? Thanks.
    tenplay, Jul 13, 2004

  2. tenplay

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 7/13/2004 11:22 AM, tenplay wrote:
    > I have been using Mozilla 1.7 for several weeks now. The junk mail
    > control still lets about 20% of the junk mail into my Inbox folder. Is
    > there a best way of utilizing it so that the number of junk mail in my
    > Inbox folder is minimized? Thanks.

    Have you been "training" the filter? When the filter doesn't recognize
    a message as spam, you need to make sure you mark it as junk. Also you
    need to teach it what isn't junk by marking good email as "not junk".

    --
    Brian
    .BRIAN., Jul 13, 2004

  3. tenplay

    Moz Champion Guest

    ..BRIAN. wrote:
    > On 7/13/2004 11:22 AM, tenplay wrote:
    >
    >> I have been using Mozilla 1.7 for several weeks now. The junk mail
    >> control still lets about 20% of the junk mail into my Inbox folder.
    >> Is there a best way of utilizing it so that the number of junk mail in
    >> my Inbox folder is minimized? Thanks.

    > Have you been "training" the filter? When the filter doesn't recognize
    > a message as spam, you need to make sure you mark it as junk. Also you
    > need to teach it what isn't junk by marking good email as "not junk".

    Brian has it totally correct. The 'secret' to an effective JMC filter is continueous training. Dependent on the number of spam received, filter effectiveness can go to 99.8 percent in a matter of weeks. With no false postives.

    Also, remember that spammers are continueally 'testing' and creating new means of defeating filter systems.

    Simply continue to mark spam as Junk, and any good ones that do get marked as non Junk and your filter success rate will increase.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 13, 2004
  4. tenplay

    tenplay Guest

    ..BRIAN. wrote:
    > On 7/13/2004 11:22 AM, tenplay wrote:
    >
    >> I have been using Mozilla 1.7 for several weeks now. The junk mail
    >> control still lets about 20% of the junk mail into my Inbox folder.
    >> Is there a best way of utilizing it so that the number of junk mail in
    >> my Inbox folder is minimized? Thanks.

    > Have you been "training" the filter? When the filter doesn't recognize
    > a message as spam, you need to make sure you mark it as junk. Also you
    > need to teach it what isn't junk by marking good email as "not junk".

    Thanks for replying. Yes, I've been doing all that. Maybe my
    expectations are too high. Also the spam senders are always trying to
    outsmart the junk filters with clever misspellings of key words in the
    subject. And I wonder why some of the spam in my inbox is flagged and
    moved to the junk mail folder, and is not marked as being junk. I
    wonder if I should mark all the items in the junk mail folder as being
    junk before I delete them.
    tenplay, Jul 14, 2004
  5. tenplay

    Moz Champion Guest

    tenplay wrote:

    > .BRIAN. wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/13/2004 11:22 AM, tenplay wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been using Mozilla 1.7 for several weeks now. The junk mail
    >>> control still lets about 20% of the junk mail into my Inbox folder.
    >>> Is there a best way of utilizing it so that the number of junk mail
    >>> in my Inbox folder is minimized? Thanks.

    >> Have you been "training" the filter? When the filter doesn't
    >> recognize a message as spam, you need to make sure you mark it as
    >> junk. Also you need to teach it what isn't junk by marking good email
    >> as "not junk".
    >>

    > Thanks for replying. Yes, I've been doing all that. Maybe my
    > expectations are too high. Also the spam senders are always trying to
    > outsmart the junk filters with clever misspellings of key words in the
    > subject. And I wonder why some of the spam in my inbox is flagged and
    > moved to the junk mail folder, and is not marked as being junk. I
    > wonder if I should mark all the items in the junk mail folder as being
    > junk before I delete them.

    If items are being moved to the Junk folder and not being marked, then check to see if its your filters that are doing this. Filtering a message effectively removes it from JMC control. Do you have any filters that move messages to Junk?

    And yes, if a message IS Junk, then mark it as such.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 14, 2004