Most Bizarre Movie Recommendation Ever

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TB, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. TB

    TB Guest

    "Kung Fu Hustle."

    I understand it's coming to theaters here in the US at the end of April,
    however I accidentally got the original language (and thankfully English
    language subtitled) dvd from a Hong Kong seller in an ebay auction for a
    completely unrelated dvd I won this week and watched it on a whim today when
    the seller said "keep it."

    I'm really not up on the whole Hong Kong kung fu craze that obviously is
    still a big deal along some movie goers with the exception of the big hits
    that made it here in the US like Crouching Tiger, Hero and so on and the
    Japanese Lone Wolf and Cub series.

    This movie is like what you'd get if you crossed a typical Hong Kong kung fu
    movie with slapstick comedy, the Jim Carry movie "The Mask," The Matrix
    series and old Warner Bros cartoons.along with a boatload of CGI effects.
    It's so over the top and just fucking strange (the bad gang terrorizing a
    slum housing project all wear Abe Lincoln top hats and carry Axes and at one
    point engage in a dance number) I couldn't fast forward through it and had
    to watch it all the way through. I have no idea how it'll do in US theaters
    as it's unlike anything I'm sure 99% of American audiences have probably
    ever seen. In a way, it reminded me of the first time I saw "The Road
    Warrior" in the way that here was a movie from another country with a
    completely different set of sensibilities and level of black humor that I'd
    never yet seen in an American movie - and it worked.

    As a dvd, it's region 3 NTSC format, so you need a multi-region player to
    watch it but as far as actual quality, it's superb, with a thundering DTS
    and DD 5.1 surround audio tracks and clear, sharp video with as far as I
    could tell, only one minor bit of artifacting in a scene a few minutes into
    the movie.

    I can at least say you *will not be bored* watching this flick.

    T.B.

    TB, Apr 12, 2005

  2. TB wrote:

    > "Kung Fu Hustle."

    So, um...missed all the "What Miramax did to 'Shaolin Soccer' threads, then?

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Apr 12, 2005

  3. TB

    TB Guest

    "Derek Janssen" wrote:

    > TB wrote:
    >
    >> "Kung Fu Hustle."

    > So, um...missed all the "What Miramax did to 'Shaolin Soccer' threads,
    > then?

    Obviously.

    As I mentioned, the whole Hong Kong kung fu genre has been completely out of
    my interest with very few exceptions.

    T.B.

    TB, Apr 12, 2005
  4. TB

    Lester Bangs Guest

    The trailer looks interesting, so I have ordered it along with Shalion
    Soccer.... Reasonably cheap to boot.

    Cheers Lester

    Lester Bangs, Apr 12, 2005
  5. TB

    ThePunisher Guest

    TB wrote:
    > "Kung Fu Hustle."

    snip
    > T.B.

    In other words, you realised there's a whole other world outside the borders
    of the USA.

    --
    ThePunisher
    Latitude: 54.67N

    ThePunisher, Apr 12, 2005
  6. TB

    Justin Guest

    ThePunisher wrote on [Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:57:18 GMT]:
    > TB wrote:
    >> "Kung Fu Hustle."

    > snip
    >> T.B.

    > In other words, you realised there's a whole other world outside the borders
    > of the USA.

    We already knew that. How they can make movies when everywhere outside
    the US is just shanty towns I'll never know. ;)

    Justin, Apr 13, 2005
  7. TB

    TB Guest

    "ThePunisher" assumed:

    > TB wrote:
    >> "Kung Fu Hustle."

    > snip
    >> T.B.

    > In other words, you realised there's a whole other world outside the
    > borders of the USA.

    No, I just haven't had much of an interest in the Hong Kong Kung Fu movie
    genre. My collection of foreign language movies on laserdisc and dvd numbers
    in the hundreds. From movies like Japanese sci-fi to the UK's Hammer horror
    to Italian giallo and much in-between, I'm well aware of the "whole other

    TB, Apr 13, 2005
  8. TB wrote:

    >>So, um...missed all the "What Miramax did to 'Shaolin Soccer' threads,
    >>then?

    > Obviously.
    >
    > As I mentioned, the whole Hong Kong kung fu genre has been completely out of
    > my interest with very few exceptions.

    Well, good thing Miramax's bringing it over, then (now that Stephen Chow
    routinely gets all-time #1 HK box-office on name alone)--

    Haven't seen enough unimported Chow to judge, but "Soccer"'s near one of
    his *saner* efforts, and "Hustle"'s fairly par for the course...

    Derek Janssen (who's rented "Chinese Odyssey 1" but not 2 yet)

    Derek Janssen, Apr 13, 2005
  9. TB

    Justin Guest

    TB wrote on [Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:04:22 GMT]:
    > "ThePunisher" assumed:
    >
    >> TB wrote:
    >>> "Kung Fu Hustle."

    >> snip
    >>> T.B.

    >> In other words, you realised there's a whole other world outside the
    >> borders of the USA.

    > No, I just haven't had much of an interest in the Hong Kong Kung Fu movie
    > genre. My collection of foreign language movies on laserdisc and dvd numbers
    > in the hundreds. From movies like Japanese sci-fi to the UK's Hammer horror
    > to Italian giallo and much in-between, I'm well aware of the "whole other
    > world outside the borders of the USA."

    What foreign language are the Hammer movies in?

    Justin, Apr 13, 2005
  10. TB

    TB Guest

    "Justin" wrote:

    >>> In other words, you realised there's a whole other world outside the
    >>> borders of the USA.

    >> No, I just haven't had much of an interest in the Hong Kong Kung Fu movie
    >> genre. My collection of foreign language movies on laserdisc and dvd
    >> numbers
    >> in the hundreds. From movies like Japanese sci-fi to the UK's Hammer
    >> horror
    >> to Italian giallo and much in-between, I'm well aware of the "whole other
    >> world outside the borders of the USA."

    > What foreign language are the Hammer movies in?

    German, considering I have several of the titles on R3 from the Anolis
    label.

    Looking to stick the other foot in your mouth or have you had enough?

    T.B.

    TB, Apr 13, 2005
  11. TB

    Justin Guest

    TB wrote on [Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:34:23 GMT]:

    >>> No, I just haven't had much of an interest in the Hong Kong Kung Fu movie
    >>> genre. My collection of foreign language movies on laserdisc and dvd
    >>> numbers
    >>> in the hundreds. From movies like Japanese sci-fi to the UK's Hammer
    >>> horror
    >>> to Italian giallo and much in-between, I'm well aware of the "whole other
    >>> world outside the borders of the USA."

    >> What foreign language are the Hammer movies in?

    > German, considering I have several of the titles on R3 from the Anolis
    > label.
    >
    > Looking to stick the other foot in your mouth or have you had enough?
    >
    > T.B.

    And they were originally released in German?

    Justin, Apr 13, 2005
  12. TB

    TB Guest

    "Justin" whined:

    > And they were originally released in German?

    You tell me. You sound like a well traveled, worldly kinda guy. Why don't
    you enlighten this newsgroup on your massive cross-genre, multi-national dvd
    collection? I know *I'm* just dying to hear what esoteric movies you've seen
    that set you so far above the rest of us border impaired viewers.

    T.B.

    TB, Apr 14, 2005
  13. TB

    Ed Kim Guest

    TB wrote:
    > "Kung Fu Hustle."

    check out ARAHAN (korean). if you liked KFH, you should prolly enjoy
    Arahan. I actually like it more.

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Apr 14, 2005
  14. TB

    Baked Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:34:23 GMT, "TB" <> wrote:

    >Looking to stick the other foot in your mouth or have you had enough?

    HAHA!

    Enjoyed this little exchange. Thanks!

    Baked, Apr 16, 2005