Morphix newbie.... wheres my internet gone? :-(

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mark, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi there. I have just installed Morphix on to a machine at home.

    All looks OK but cannot get the flipping internet going. Using the Gonome I
    have configured the machines IP address as 192.168.3.2 and the gateway as
    192.168.3.1 (as per the other windows machine on the network)

    The workgroup is also set correctly but I cannot see other machines or
    indeed this machine from my windows machine. (ok so it isn't just the
    internet)

    I am just using an ethernet cable back to my hub so think all should be OK
    there.

    Just not sure where to start troubleshooting.

    Any help welcome.

    Mark
    Mark, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Mark wrote:

    > Hi there. I have just installed Morphix on to a machine at home.
    >
    > All looks OK but cannot get the flipping internet going. Using the Gonome I
    > have configured the machines IP address as 192.168.3.2 and the gateway as
    > 192.168.3.1 (as per the other windows machine on the network)
    >
    > The workgroup is also set correctly but I cannot see other machines or
    > indeed this machine from my windows machine. (ok so it isn't just the
    > internet)
    >
    > I am just using an ethernet cable back to my hub so think all should be OK
    > there.
    >
    > Just not sure where to start troubleshooting.

    can you ping anything?
    try pinging an IP addy first, then try a domain of some sort.
    202.150.101.5 and dave.net.nz should work from pretty much anywhere.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Mark

    EMB Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi there. I have just installed Morphix on to a machine at home.
    >
    > All looks OK but cannot get the flipping internet going. Using the Gonome I
    > have configured the machines IP address as 192.168.3.2 and the gateway as
    > 192.168.3.1 (as per the other windows machine on the network)
    >
    > The workgroup is also set correctly but I cannot see other machines or
    > indeed this machine from my windows machine. (ok so it isn't just the
    > internet)
    >
    > I am just using an ethernet cable back to my hub so think all should be OK
    > there.
    >
    > Just not sure where to start troubleshooting.

    *DON'T* set the morphix machine to the same IP address as the windows
    machine (or any other device on the network) as they get confused! Try
    192.168.3.3 for the morphix box with the gateway set as you already have it.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 19, 2004
  4. Mark

    Mark A Guest

    Yup - thought my post may have indicated that..... Just the gateway is the
    same.
    Mark

    Mark A, Nov 19, 2004
  5. Mark

    Mark A Guest

    Can't ping anything - not even the same machine. It says "Network is
    unreachable".

    The funny thing is...... if I boot up Knoppix and enter the self same
    entries all is well....... (well it asks for some other bits as well, but
    the ones that should be the same are the same)

    Mark

    Mark A, Nov 19, 2004
  6. Mark

    EMB Guest

    Mark A wrote:
    > Yup - thought my post may have indicated that..... Just the gateway is the
    > same.
    > Mark

    What have you got for a subnet mask? 255.255.255.0?

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 19, 2004
  7. Mark

    Mark A Guest

    Yup - it defaulted in and I left it as that.

    Mark A, Nov 19, 2004
  8. Mark

    PC Guest

    "Mark A" <> wrote in message
    > Can't ping anything - not even the same machine. It says "Network is
    > unreachable".
    >
    > The funny thing is...... if I boot up Knoppix and enter the self same
    > entries all is well....... (well it asks for some other bits as well, but
    > the ones that should be the same are the same)
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> Mark wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there. I have just installed Morphix on to a machine at home.
    >>>
    >>> All looks OK but cannot get the flipping internet going. Using the
    >>> Gonome I have configured the machines IP address as 192.168.3.2 and the
    >>> gateway as 192.168.3.1 (as per the other windows machine on the network)
    >>>
    >>> The workgroup is also set correctly but I cannot see other machines or
    >>> indeed this machine from my windows machine. (ok so it isn't just the
    >>> internet)
    >>>
    >>> I am just using an ethernet cable back to my hub so think all should be
    >>> OK there.
    >>>
    >>> Just not sure where to start troubleshooting.

    >> can you ping anything?
    >> try pinging an IP addy first, then try a domain of some sort.
    >> 202.150.101.5 and dave.net.nz should work from pretty much anywhere.

    Firewall?

    Paul.
    PC, Nov 19, 2004
  9. Mark

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:59:44 +1300, "Mark" <> wrote:

    >Hi there. I have just installed Morphix on to a machine at home.
    >
    >All looks OK but cannot get the flipping internet going. Using the Gonome I
    >have configured the machines IP address as 192.168.3.2 and the gateway as
    >192.168.3.1 (as per the other windows machine on the network)
    >
    >The workgroup is also set correctly but I cannot see other machines or
    >indeed this machine from my windows machine. (ok so it isn't just the
    >internet)
    >
    >I am just using an ethernet cable back to my hub so think all should be OK
    >there.

    If it's a hub and not a switch, have you used the correct cable, i.e. not
    crossover unless you're putting it into the end crossover socket.

    Is the light on for that cable on the hub?
    Craig Shore, Nov 19, 2004
  10. Mark

    Enkidu Guest

    What have *they* got as netmask?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    These twin-CPU hyperthreading computers are really
    great! We can wait ten to a hundred times faster
    Enkidu, Nov 19, 2004
  11. Mark

    Enkidu Guest

    What does ifconfig say?