  1. Guest

    Vista SP2.

    #1. *Something* is messing with the metadata of my music collection, particularly the Year element. My collection is arranged chronologically rather than alphabetically(because of the way my brain is wired! lol), and all of asudden I've got BEATLES tunes under 2009, 2010, etc.

    #2. Ongoing: I have disabled all automatic functions of Media player. Since doing this, when I double click a a song to play it, it takes MP 30sec toone minute to open and play the song.

    What's going on?
    , Mar 21, 2013

  2. Paul Drahn Guest

    On 3/21/2013 12:17 PM, wrote:
    > Vista SP2.
    >
    > #1. *Something* is messing with the metadata of my music collection, particularly the Year element. My collection is arranged chronologically rather than alphabetically(because of the way my brain is wired! lol), and all of a sudden I've got BEATLES tunes under 2009, 2010, etc.
    >
    > #2. Ongoing: I have disabled all automatic functions of Media player. Since doing this, when I double click a a song to play it, it takes MP 30sec to one minute to open and play the song.
    >
    > What's going on?

    When was the last time you ran a registry cleanup program? Massive
    amount of junk in the registry will cause really long time for programs
    to begin executing and files to open.

    Also, you should clean up the hard drive and run the program to make as
    many files contiguous as possible.

    Then see if your access improves.

    Can't answer your sequencing question.

    Paul
    Paul Drahn, Mar 21, 2013

  3. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Vista SP2.
    >
    > #1. *Something* is messing with the metadata of my music collection, particularly the Year element. My collection is arranged chronologically rather than alphabetically(because of the way my brain is wired! lol), and all of a sudden I've got BEATLES tunes under 2009, 2010, etc.
    >
    > #2. Ongoing: I have disabled all automatic functions of Media player. Since doing this, when I double click a a song to play it, it takes MP 30sec to one minute to open and play the song.
    >
    > What's going on?

    In the spirit of discovery, there are two tidbits here.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...a/thread/360a255b-3a90-45cf-b5cc-5d4fbbc60a1f

    C:\Users\%userdata%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

    CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb
    CurrentDatabase_371.wmdb

    It doesn't say what format the database takes. I wouldn't expect you could
    read the .wmdb directly.

    At the end of the thread, there is a tool available, which
    backs up the .wmdb.

    "Metadata Backup"
    http://www.dalepreston.com/Blog/2007/03/windows-media-player-metadata-backup.html

    What that does, is convert .wmdb to .xml. (And maybe, vice versa)

    XML files are text files. You should be able to view them in Wordpad or Notepad.
    (You can temporarily change the extension to .txt, if you can't otherwise
    figure out how to open them.) It's a wordy format, that humans aren't likely
    to appreciate. (Even the Registry is more fun, than walking through an XML.)

    What you'll be looking for in there, is whether each album has a
    status of "found" or not. If the albums aren't "found", perhaps the
    metadata (tracks, cover, details) are getting updated from the Internet
    somehow.

    In any case, review the information in the .wmdb, as an XML file
    first, and see if there is anything that looks wrong to you.

    I don't see any reason to postulate malware at a time like this,
    when the software is likely capable of making a mess all on its own.
    (I hate software which is too damn clever.)

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 21, 2013
  4. Guest

    On Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:36:08 PM UTC-4, Paul Drahn wrote:
    > On 3/21/2013 12:17 PM,
    > > Vista SP2.

    > > #1. *Something* is messing with the metadata of my music collection, particularly the Year element. My collection is arranged chronologically rather than alphabetically(because of the way my brain is wired! lol), and all of a sudden I've got BEATLES tunes under 2009, 2010, etc.

    > > #2. Ongoing: I have disabled all automatic functions of Media player. Since doing this, when I double click a a song to play it, it takes MP 30sec to one minute to open and play the song.

    > > What's going on?

    > When was the last time you ran a registry cleanup program? Massive
    >
    > amount of junk in the registry will cause really long time for programs
    >
    > to begin executing and files to open.
    >

    > Also, you should clean up the hard drive and run the program to make as
    >
    > many files contiguous as possible.
    >

    > Then see if your access improves.
    >

    > Can't answer your sequencing question.
    >

    > Paul

    ______________
    Paul D:

    I weekly run RegClean Pro - have for the past 2 years.

    Thanks.
    , Mar 22, 2013
  5. Guest

    On Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:18:56 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
    > .com wrote:
    >
    > > Vista SP2.

    > > #1. *Something* is messing with the metadata of my music collection, particularly the Year element. My collection is arranged chronologically rather than alphabetically(because of the way my brain is wired! lol), and all of a sudden I've got BEATLES tunes under 2009, 2010, etc.

    > > #2. Ongoing: I have disabled all automatic functions of Media player. Since doing this, when I double click a a song to play it, it takes MP 30sec to one minute to open and play the song.

    > > What's going on?

    > In the spirit of discovery, there are two tidbits here.
    >

    > http://social.technet.microsoft.com...a/thread/360a255b-3a90-45cf-b5cc-5d4fbbc60a1f
    >

    > C:\Users\%userdata%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player
    >

    > CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb
    >
    > CurrentDatabase_371.wmdb
    >

    > It doesn't say what format the database takes. I wouldn't expect you could
    >
    > read the .wmdb directly.
    >

    > At the end of the thread, there is a tool available, which
    >
    > backs up the .wmdb.
    >

    > "Metadata Backup"
    >
    > http://www.dalepreston.com/Blog/2007/03/windows-media-player-metadata-backup.html
    >

    > What that does, is convert .wmdb to .xml. (And maybe, vice versa)
    >

    > XML files are text files. You should be able to view them in Wordpad or Notepad.
    >
    > (You can temporarily change the extension to .txt, if you can't otherwise
    >
    > figure out how to open them.) It's a wordy format, that humans aren't likely
    >
    > to appreciate. (Even the Registry is more fun, than walking through an XML.)
    >

    > What you'll be looking for in there, is whether each album has a
    >
    > status of "found" or not. If the albums aren't "found", perhaps the
    >
    > metadata (tracks, cover, details) are getting updated from the Internet
    >
    > somehow.
    >

    > In any case, review the information in the .wmdb, as an XML file
    >
    > first, and see if there is anything that looks wrong to you.
    >

    > I don't see any reason to postulate malware at a time like this,
    >
    > when the software is likely capable of making a mess all on its own.
    >
    > (I hate software which is too damn clever.)
    >

    > Paul

    Paul:

    Coincidentally, *something* installed the "Startnow" search default on my PC! It runs when I open my profile in Vista(you see an "opening data" dialog box), asking me if I want to restore my seach default to Startnow.
    , Mar 22, 2013