    the office.

    Thanks
    Roman
    r_mervart, Feb 25, 2005

  2. r_mervart

    Brian Guest

    "r_mervart" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:VZJTd.655$...
    > I would like to know whether, once I've enabled POP in the Gmail account,

    > can have mail clients configured concurrently on more than one computer to
    > download Gmail messages. For example OE on the home computer and Outlook

    in
    > the office.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Roman

    yes. just make sure you check "leave copy of original message on server" in
    the clients settings.
    Brian, Feb 25, 2005

  3. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > "r_mervart" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > I would like to know whether, once I've enabled POP in the Gmail

    account,
    > > can have mail clients configured concurrently on more than one computer

    > > download Gmail messages. For example OE on the home computer and Outlook
    > > in the office.

    > yes. just make sure you check "leave copy of original message on server"

    in
    > the clients settings.

    Thanks
    Roman
    r_mervart, Feb 25, 2005
  4. r_mervart

    Vanguard Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > "r_mervart" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> I would like to know whether, once I've enabled POP in the Gmail
    >> account, I
    >> can have mail clients configured concurrently on more than one
    >> computer to
    >> download Gmail messages. For example OE on the home computer and
    >> Outlook
    >> in the office.

    > yes. just make sure you check "leave copy of original message on
    > server" in
    > the clients settings.

    That won't work (when last tested). "Leave messages on server" has the
    e-mail client issue a RETR command to get the e-mail (headers and body)
    but *not* follow with a DELE command to remove that message from the
    mail server. The normal sequence is RETR followed by DELE. Not sending
    the DELE is how the message gets left on the server. Gmail doesn't
    handle this correctly. Any e-mail client that issues a RETR command
    will result in Gmail removing it from the list of pending messages in
    your mailbox. On the next mail poll, Gmail reports an OK status when
    the e-mail client issues the UIDL command (which asks the mail server if
    it supports uniqued IDs for each message rather than relying on a simple
    relative index number), yet Gmail returns a null list from the UIDL
    command in the next mail poll. This tells the e-mail client there are
    no messages in the mailbox. See
    http://www.gmailforums.com/index.php?showtopic=8066. Once you yank the
    e-mail message, don't expect to see it again at Gmail when using POP3
    (but it will still be listed in the Inbox if you use their webmail
    interface).

    If you configure your e-mail client to yank the full message, that's the
    only e-mail client that will have a copy of it. A subsequent mail poll
    by the same or different e-mail client results in Gmail returning a null
    list from the UIDL command so the e-mail client has been told those
    messages aren't there anymore. E-mails you saw in one mail poll will
    disappear in the next mail poll. Gmail doesn't behave per RFCs for
    POP3. Once a RETR command is received, your e-mail client doesn't have
    to issue the DELE command for it to disappear from Gmail's UIDL output.
    Gmail is still in its *BETA* phase and the only way to get an account is
    through an invite. The same above behavior (of messages disappearing on
    a subsequent mail poll) also occurred when your e-mail client issueed
    the "TOP n m" command (to just get the headers or to get a preview of
    the message) but they fixed that a little over a month ago. If your
    setup and wanted behavior is to yank a message in its entirety and not
    thereafter have a copy of it on Gmail then it will work okay for you.

    Vanguard, Feb 25, 2005
  5. r_mervart

    Brian Guest

    what the **** are you rambling on about?
    Brian, Feb 25, 2005
  6. r_mervart

    Vanguard Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    >> disappear in the next mail poll. Gmail doesn't behave per RFCs for
    >> POP3. Once a RETR command is received, your e-mail client doesn't
    >> have
    >> to issue the DELE command for it to disappear from Gmail's UIDL
    >> output.
    >> Gmail is still in its *BETA* phase and the only way to get an account
    >> is
    >> through an invite. The same above behavior (of messages disappearing
    >> on
    >> a subsequent mail poll) also occurred when your e-mail client issueed
    >> the "TOP n m" command (to just get the headers or to get a preview of
    >> the message) but they fixed that a little over a month ago. If your
    >> setup and wanted behavior is to yank a message in its entirety and
    >> not
    >> thereafter have a copy of it on Gmail then it will work okay for you.

    Try it and see what happens yourself. Obviously you don't know how POP3
    works. I'm sure that link to my bug report in gmailforums.com is way
    beyond your capabilities. That's why I also noted the effects rather
    than just their cause.
    Vanguard, Feb 25, 2005
  7. r_mervart

> [...]
    > >> Gmail is still in its *BETA* phase and the only way to get an account
    > >> is
    > >> through an invite. The same above behavior (of messages disappearing
    > >> on
    > >> a subsequent mail poll) also occurred when your e-mail client issueed
    > >> the "TOP n m" command (to just get the headers or to get a preview of
    > >> the message) but they fixed that a little over a month ago. If your
    > >> setup and wanted behavior is to yank a message in its entirety and
    > >> not
    > >> thereafter have a copy of it on Gmail then it will work okay for you.
    > >>

    > > what the **** are you rambling on about?
    > >

    > Try it and see what happens yourself. Obviously you don't know how POP3
    > works. I'm sure that link to my bug report in gmailforums.com is way
    > beyond your capabilities. That's why I also noted the effects rather

    Listen you mumbling idiot.. do it in practice and not in theory.. you
    fucking idiot.. go on.. you know you want to.. prove me wrong..
    Brian, Feb 25, 2005
  8. r_mervart

    Vanguard Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Vanguard" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >> > what the **** are you rambling on about?
    >> >

    >> Try it and see what happens yourself. Obviously you don't know how
    >> POP3
    >> works. I'm sure that link to my bug report in gmailforums.com is way
    >> beyond your capabilities. That's why I also noted the effects rather
    >> than just their cause.
    >>

    > Listen you mumbling idiot.. do it in practice and not in theory.. you
    > fucking idiot.. go on.. you know you want to.. prove me wrong..

    Haven't yet bothered to actually visit that gmailforums.com link, have
    you? Otherwise, you would see that I already proved the Gmail defect
    "in practice".
    Vanguard, Feb 25, 2005
  9. r_mervart

    anthonyberet Guest

    r_mervart wrote:
    > I would like to know whether, once I've enabled POP in the Gmail account, I
    > can have mail clients configured concurrently on more than one computer to
    > download Gmail messages. For example OE on the home computer and Outlook in
    > the office.

    yes, you should be able to.
    However, using POP3, your emails will not be synchronised on both your
    machines.
    anthonyberet, Mar 5, 2005
  10. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    > r_mervart wrote:
    > > I would like to know whether, once I've enabled POP in the Gmail

    account, I
    > > can have mail clients configured concurrently on more than one computer

    > > download Gmail messages. For example OE on the home computer and Outlook

    in
    > > the office.
    > >

    > yes, you should be able to.
    > However, using POP3, your emails will not be synchronised on both your
    > machines.

    They should be more or less synchronised when both PCs are on, shouldn't
    they ?

    Roman
    r_mervart, Mar 5, 2005
  11. r_mervart

    anthonyberet Guest

    r_mervart wrote:
    > "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>r_mervart wrote:
    >>
    >>>I would like to know whether, once I've enabled POP in the Gmail

    > account, I
    >
    >>>can have mail clients configured concurrently on more than one computer

    >>>download Gmail messages. For example OE on the home computer and Outlook

    > in
    >
    >>>the office.
    >>>

    >>yes, you should be able to.
    >>However, using POP3, your emails will not be synchronised on both your
    >>machines.

    > They should be more or less synchronised when both PCs are on, shouldn't
    > they ?

    No because mail downloading to one machine will not be downloaded to the
    other.
    anthonyberet, Mar 6, 2005
  12. r_mervart

    > r_mervart wrote:
    > > "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message

    > > account, I

    Outlook

    > > in

    > >>yes, you should be able to.
    > >>However, using POP3, your emails will not be synchronised on both your
    > >>machines.

    > > They should be more or less synchronised when both PCs are on, shouldn't
    > > they ?
    > >

    > No because mail downloading to one machine will not be downloaded to the
    > other.

    OK, I realize that but the last (latest) download on either machine will
    have all the messages and that is important. It could get confusing if two
    people were accessing the same account on both machines at the same time but
    that should not happen.
    Roman
    r_mervart, Mar 6, 2005
  13. r_mervart

    pengulin Guest

    By default most mail programs are set to delete mail from server when
    checking it, but you can modify the mail program's preferences not to delete
    it right away. Although you can set it not to delete the mail from the
    server at all, it's not advisable because messages will pile up on the
    server and once you hit the limit for your provider, mail will start
    bouncing back to the sender. You probably want to set both mail programs (at
    both locations) to delete mail from the server after a specific amount of
    days (5, 10 or 30). It would be best to have the settings the same on both
    computers so there is no confusion.

    In Outlook express you can get to this by going to the tools menu, choosing
    accounts, click on the mail tab, then choose the mail account in question
    and click properties. From the properties window, select the advanced tab.
    On the bottom, there will be a delivery section with a checkbox which states
    "Leave a copy of mail on the server". Check that box and another box below
    it will oppen up that states "Delete from server after X days". Check this
    box and you will be able to specify the number of days you wish to keep on
    the server.
    You see that there is also another checkbox which enables you to delete mail
    from the server when it is removed from deleted Items, and that is another
    way to handle it

    Keep in mind it is important to do this on both computers, otherwise it
    won't help you much. Make sure the settings are the same on both computers
    to avoid confusion.

    pengulin, Mar 6, 2005
  14. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    "pengulin" <> wrote in message
    > By default most mail programs are set to delete mail from server when
    > checking it, but you can modify the mail program's preferences not to

    delete
    > it right away. Although you can set it not to delete the mail from the
    > server at all, it's not advisable because messages will pile up on the
    > server and once you hit the limit for your provider, mail will start
    > bouncing back to the sender. You probably want to set both mail programs

    (at
    > both locations) to delete mail from the server after a specific amount of
    > days (5, 10 or 30). It would be best to have the settings the same on both
    > computers so there is no confusion.
    >
    > In Outlook express you can get to this by going to the tools menu,

    choosing
    > accounts, click on the mail tab, then choose the mail account in question
    > and click properties. From the properties window, select the advanced tab.
    > On the bottom, there will be a delivery section with a checkbox which

    states
    > "Leave a copy of mail on the server". Check that box and another box below
    > it will oppen up that states "Delete from server after X days". Check this
    > box and you will be able to specify the number of days you wish to keep on
    > the server.
    > You see that there is also another checkbox which enables you to delete

    mail
    > from the server when it is removed from deleted Items, and that is another
    > way to handle it
    >
    > Keep in mind it is important to do this on both computers, otherwise it
    > won't help you much. Make sure the settings are the same on both computers
    > to avoid confusion.

    Thanks for explaining the options but it sounds a little daunting and it
    would be
    difficult not to loose control. I would finish with different messages
    stored on
    one or another machine and danger of timed removal of messages from
    the server I did not want to remove.
    The whole advantage of Gmail is supposed to be that you do not need
    to worry too much about leaving messages on the server. I think it must
    be much simpler to choose this option. That way I shall know that,
    unless I delete a message on then web, it will not be removed on one
    or another computer. Accessing the Gmail account using OE on either
    computer will be just a convenient window to see the new messages and
    make a reply to them. However a permanent deletion of messages from the
    server would be done only via web access.

    It is different when there is only one computer with OE access and that
    access
    is treated as the main access . With Hotmail I access the account
    primarily using OE. In this case the messages deleted through OE are
    simultanously deleted on the web. That is OK because it is one to one
    synchronisation between OE and web and you can allways see what is
    where and messages in your Inbox do not get deleted unless you delete
    them by your deliberate action.

    Regards
    Roman
    r_mervart, Mar 7, 2005
  15. r_mervart

    anthonyberet Guest

    r_mervart wrote:
    <snip>

    > It is different when there is only one computer with OE access and that
    > access
    > is treated as the main access . With Hotmail I access the account
    > primarily using OE. In this case the messages deleted through OE are
    > simultanously deleted on the web. That is OK because it is one to one
    > synchronisation between OE and web and you can allways see what is
    > where and messages in your Inbox do not get deleted unless you delete
    > them by your deliberate action.

    I should have pointed out that the IMAP email sytem is designed to do
    what you want - you can have a web accout and as many computers as you
    like acccessing it, all sychronised.

    Howerver, Google doesn't support it, and is unlikely to in future.
    anthonyberet, Mar 8, 2005