    (within range of each other and on the same channel) illegal?

    Thanks,
    Bruce.
    Bruce Chastain, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Bruce Chastain

    Cat Guest

    Hi

    There is some Wireless Client Hardware that can do more than two.

    However the resultant Network is Quirky.

    Given that Wireless Cable DSL Router is close to the price of Client card,
    it make much more sense to connect one computer to a Router via cable the
    rest can be Wireless.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Bruce Chastain" <> wrote in message
    > I have a question about 802.11g ad-hoc mode. Everything I read refers to
    > ad-hoc mode as point-to-point, implying that only 2 computers can be so
    > networked. But I've also seen diagrams implying that an ad-hoc network

    can
    > be expanded beyond 2 nodes (no AP), using more than 2 ad-hoc nodes.
    >
    > So what happens if there are 3 computers with a 802.11g ad-hoc, all
    > configured with the same SSID? Will all 3 be able to see and talk to each
    > other without having to disconnect from one and connect with the other? A
    > with B with C?
    >
    > Or is 3 computers (one adhoc device per computer) with the same ad-hoc

    SSID

    Cat, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Bruce Chastain

    Chuck Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:23:22 GMT, "Bruce Chastain"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a question about 802.11g ad-hoc mode. Everything I read refers to
    >ad-hoc mode as point-to-point, implying that only 2 computers can be so
    >networked. But I've also seen diagrams implying that an ad-hoc network can
    >be expanded beyond 2 nodes (no AP), using more than 2 ad-hoc nodes.
    >
    >So what happens if there are 3 computers with a 802.11g ad-hoc, all
    >configured with the same SSID? Will all 3 be able to see and talk to each
    >other without having to disconnect from one and connect with the other? A
    >with B with C?
    >
    >Or is 3 computers (one adhoc device per computer) with the same ad-hoc SSID
    >(within range of each other and on the same channel) illegal?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bruce.

    Bruce,

    You can indeed have more than two computers on a peer-to-peer (ad hoc) wireless
    network. But remember, all computers must share the same channel, so with more
    computers connected, the throughput drops for each. Worse yet, channel
    throughput drops as the chances of collisions (two computers transmitting
    simultaneously) increases.

    All computers will have to have the same SSID, which you manually configure,
    along with channel number.

    And try to make sure all computers can see each other. A hidden node situation
    (where computer A sees computers B and C, but B and C can't see each other) will
    increase the probability of collisions even more.

    It is point-to-point, just with more than two it becomes
    multipoint-to-multipoint.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx#XSLTsection126121120120>

    Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck, Jul 8, 2004
  4. "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > You can indeed have more than two computers on a peer-to-peer (ad hoc)

    wireless
    > network. But remember, all computers must share the same channel, so with

    more
    > computers connected, the throughput drops for each. Worse yet, channel
    > throughput drops as the chances of collisions (two computers transmitting
    > simultaneously) increases.

    Thanks for the help Chuck, and the informative link!

    Bruce.
    Bruce Chastain, Jul 8, 2004
  5. > You can indeed have more than two computers on a peer-to-peer (ad hoc)
    > wireless network. But remember, all computers must share the same
    > channel, so with more computers connected, the throughput drops for each.
    > Worse yet, channel throughput drops as the chances of collisions (two
    > computers transmitting simultaneously) increases.

    > All computers will have to have the same SSID, which you manually configure,
    > along with channel number.

    But that applies to infrastructure mode just as well.

    > And try to make sure all computers can see each other. A hidden node
    > situation (where computer A sees computers B and C, but B and C can't see
    > each other) will increase the probability of collisions even more.

    It doesn't increase the probability of collision, but it creates the
    possibility of undetected and unrepairable collisions.

    Stefan
    Stefan Monnier, Jul 8, 2004