more soul-sapping requirements inflation

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Vigo Breadcrumbs, May 21, 2004.

  1. It's been a while since I posted any of my drivel from the world of the job
    seeker, so I humbly offer this, posted via my local newspaper this very day:

    DESCRIPTION
    This position is responsible in building and maintaining desktop and laptop
    computers in multiple store locations.

    REQUIREMENTS
    * A+ Certification
    * Net+ Certification
    * MCSE Certification

    Responsibilities:
    * 1st and 2nd level desktop support
    * 1st level telephone support
    * Telephone and desktop moves
    * Preventative maintenance with each tickets
    * Full desktop responsibility from desktop to patch panel
    * Configure and deliver New Hire systems

    Laugh or cry at your own discretion.

    There's that qualification creep again. I'm wondering if there's some kind
    of buzzword bingo competition within the secret HR fraternity, only without
    the humor of the Dilbert kind.

    What does that "SE" in MCSE stand for again???

    http://www.vigo-alessi.com/images/products/1362.jpg
    Vigo Breadcrumbs, May 21, 2004

  2. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    Vigo Breadcrumbs <> wrote in news:Q1prc.1568
    $:

    > What does that "SE" in MCSE stand for again???

    "Stupid Eeediot"

    sad, sad, sad...what was once a prized cert is now worthless...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 21, 2004

  3. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    molsonexpert Guest

    "Vigo Breadcrumbs" <> wrote in message
    > It's been a while since I posted any of my drivel from the world of the

    job
    > seeker, so I humbly offer this, posted via my local newspaper this very

    day:

    > DESCRIPTION
    > This position is responsible in building and maintaining desktop and

    laptop
    > computers in multiple store locations.
    >
    > REQUIREMENTS
    > * A+ Certification
    > * Net+ Certification
    > * MCSE Certification
    >
    > Responsibilities:
    > * 1st and 2nd level desktop support
    > * 1st level telephone support
    > * Telephone and desktop moves
    > * Preventative maintenance with each tickets
    > * Full desktop responsibility from desktop to patch panel
    > * Configure and deliver New Hire systems
    >

    > Laugh or cry at your own discretion.
    >
    > There's that qualification creep again. I'm wondering if there's some

    kind
    > of buzzword bingo competition within the secret HR fraternity, only

    without
    > the humor of the Dilbert kind.
    >
    > What does that "SE" in MCSE stand for again???
    >

    > http://www.vigo-alessi.com/images/products/1362.jpg

    What is it, $12 (Cdn.) an hour?

    As a job seeker myself (although currently employed, and therefore not hard
    core deparate. Yet.) I at least try to read between the lines in hopes
    there's some advancement or other incentive for applying. I see posts for
    MCSE's at $40,000 Cdn., and I'm making more than that now, so what's the
    point?

    --
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."
    molsonexpert, May 21, 2004
  4. =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, May 21, 2004
  5. "molsonexpert" <> wrote in

    > What is it, $12 (Cdn.) an hour?

    This is listed as a contract position (which could also be in error,
    given the meatheads that staff this paper's advertising department), and
    given the surfeit of true dummies in my area that call themselves "IT
    consultants," I would guess about $12 - $14 US per hour for full-time
    work. No benefits and provide your own transportation, naturaly. The
    phrase "cheap bastards" keeps rolling around my head.

    > As a job seeker myself (although currently employed, and therefore not
    > hard core deparate. Yet.) I at least try to read between the lines in
    > hopes there's some advancement or other incentive for applying. I see
    > posts for MCSE's at $40,000 Cdn., and I'm making more than that now,
    > so what's the point?

    This job is in service to a mortgage broker, so I think what's between
    the lines is "we are a bunch of ADD afflicted, commission-grubbing
    Beavis-clones who wish to spend no more than pence on vital services.
    We know in this market you are a commodity with the intrinsic value of a
    pitcher of warm spit, and will treat you accordingly. We will pay you
    as little as possible for only as long as the refinancing bubble holds
    or we find someone else cheaper, whichever comes first. If
    circumstances require us to pack up the boiler room and leave in the
    middle of the night, you last check may not be forthcoming."

    I'm a little foamy today because I'm finishing up an application for a
    support position with the local circuit court administrator's office.
    While the pay and benefits are decent by today's standards, the civil
    liberties I'm signing away for a shot at this job are grating. No doubt
    this will involve some form of Ashcroft-sponsored rectal examination, or
    standing in place for hours on end with women's underpants on my head.
    I can only hope I find something else before I have to surrender my
    tinfoil hat, get fingerprinted, and get "on the grid."

    http://www.vigo-alessi.com/images/products/1362.jpg
    Vigo Breadcrumbs, May 21, 2004
  6. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    JaR Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:14:56 +0000, Vigo Breadcrumbs extemporised:

    > * Full desktop responsibility from desktop to patch panel

    Not to be taken lightly! There could be several meters of Cat5 that this
    individual must maintain. Surely making certain that chairs are not
    inadvertently rolled over the cable requires a modicum of engineering
    expertise?

    Think of the burden of having to remove the post-it notes with
    luser's passwords stuck to monitors when they are replaced without
    compromising network security.

    I dunno, seems a job for a highly skilled, experienced individual. I am
    surprised they do not require further qualifications.

    I am sure that, given the responsibilities of this position, the
    successful applicant will earn in excess of US $18,000.00 per annum!

    Shame, Vigo! You mock without thoughtful cause.

    JaR
    Serious guhT
    JaR, May 21, 2004
  7. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    billyw Guest

    thats about 3.50 in real money

    billyw, May 21, 2004
  8. JaR <> wrote in

    > Not to be taken lightly! There could be several meters of Cat5 that
    > this individual must maintain. Surely making certain that chairs are
    > not inadvertently rolled over the cable requires a modicum of
    > engineering expertise?

    Hold it right there, bub! Expertise in this very area I have
    demonstrated. The obligatory Vigo story:

    One day, one of the data processing toadies, specifically the one who
    always complained loudly and at length that he was forced by fate and
    circumstances to take this job only because the events conspired to keep
    him from his true and rightful goal (which was to emigrate to Australia
    {where he had once been a corporate trainer for Pizza Hut} but whose age
    and personal solvency requirements were beyond his reach), was parading
    up and down the aisles of the DP area, shouting at whomever had a pulse
    that that bastard Vigo (though he used my real name) "changed something
    again" (which I never did without frequent and copious advance warning,
    which the toadies ignored anyway, but nevertheless I hadn't done in this
    case) which was keeping him from doing his important work. One of the
    more friendly toadies tipped me off to this guy's fulminations, and I
    went to investigate. I inquired as to his problem, and got the full
    court press of superciliousness and sarcasm. Proceeding to his desk
    area, I noticed that he and the nearby todies had rearranged their
    workspace. Owing to the buildings advancing decrepitude and paucity of
    network jacks, I immediately suspected a cable problem. I checked the
    back of his workstation (getting covered in the obligatory coating of
    dust and filth) and found no link light on the NIC. As I'm working,
    this character is continuing his abusive ranting about how my cavalier
    changes wouldn't be tolerated when they impacted his production. I
    began tracing the cable backwards, and got all of three feet when I
    found he had routed the cable under his chair mat, which of course had
    spikes to keep it in place on the carpet. These spikes had pierced the
    insulation, and severed several conductors. Just as Cochise was
    reaching his crescendo, I bellowed at the top of my not insubstantial
    voice "MAYBE IF YOU WOULDN'T RUIN YOUR GODDAM NETWORK CABLES BY PUTTING
    THEM UNDER YOUR GODDAM CHAIR MAT YOU COULD GET SOME GODDAM WORK DONE!"
    This was greeted by stunned silence throughout the office. I fetched a
    replacement, put it on Cochise's desk, patted him on the back and said,
    "I leave that to you," and beat back into my office area before the
    chuckles turned into guffaws.

    > I am sure that, given the responsibilities of this position, the
    > successful applicant will earn in excess of US $18,000.00 per annum!

    As a hedge against inflation, I hope to be paid in Jordanian Dinars,
    Azeri Manat, Polish Zloties, or Vietnamese Dong.

    > Shame, Vigo! You mock without thoughtful cause.

    No, I only try to confuse.
    Rick Vigorous, May 21, 2004
  9. Vigo Breadcrumbs, May 21, 2004
  10. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    Rick Vigorous <> wrote in news:bXqrc.2322
    $:

    > The obligatory Vigo story:

    Tell us another story Uncle Vigo. (we knew it was you..)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 21, 2004
  11. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    "billyw" <> wrote in news:uIwBZa1PEHA.3012
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > thats about 3.50 in real money

    $3.75!!!! (our money is doin' well right now ya know)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 21, 2004
  12. Neil wrote:
    > Rick Vigorous <> wrote in
    > news:bXqrc.2322 $:
    >
    >> The obligatory Vigo story:

    > Tell us another story Uncle Vigo. (we knew it was you..)

    Dammit Neil, either you were just at the l33t site, or you read my mind.

    --
    Fris "New Poll" bee®

    Certaholics
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, May 21, 2004
  13. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    Frisbee® <> wrote in news:eqJg401PEHA.2404
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > Neil wrote:
    >> Rick Vigorous <> wrote in
    >> news:bXqrc.2322 $:
    >>
    >>> The obligatory Vigo story:

    >> Tell us another story Uncle Vigo. (we knew it was you..)

    > Dammit Neil, either you were just at the l33t site, or you read my

    mind.

    Mind reading.....your card was a 2 of diamonds...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 21, 2004
  14. Neil wrote:
    > Frisbee® <> wrote in
    > news:eqJg401PEHA.2404 @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
    >
    >> Neil wrote:
    >>> Rick Vigorous <> wrote in
    >>> news:bXqrc.2322 $:

    >>> Tell us another story Uncle Vigo. (we knew it was you..)

    >> Dammit Neil, either you were just at the l33t site, or you read my
    >> mind.
    >>

    > Mind reading.....your card was a 2 of diamonds...

    rsfck!

    --
    Fris "I ain't playin' poker with you no mo'" bee®

    Certaholics
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, May 21, 2004
  15. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    billyw Guest

    that would be £3.75 gbp

    billyw, May 22, 2004
  16. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    "billyw" <> wrote in news:#P#Wov#PEHA.2704
    @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    > that would be œ3.75 gbp

    well, if we're counting pound sterling, I'm not sure it will rank that
    high. Perhaps 3.75 Euros

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 22, 2004
  17. >well, if we're counting pound sterling, I'm not sure it will rank that
    >high. Perhaps 3.75 Euros

    Using English gallons it does, I've (or rather the company have) been
    paying 3.85 GBP for GB Gallon of gas, or should I be saying 84.9
    pennies a 'liter'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 22, 2004