    dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Collector»NZ

    # Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:12:40 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    > dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    > http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    The relevance of the link you have posted is somewhat dubious.

    "Copyright (C) 2002 Neil Deakin" tends to give some idea, as does the fact
    that it is referring to Mozilla 1.2 (currently 1.7.3) rather than Firefox.

    Also, since XP SP2 has been released, IE6 on those systems does have some
    additional features, including popup controls.
    #, Nov 9, 2004

  3. # said the following on 10/11/2004 12:24:
    > On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:12:40 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >

    >>A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    >>dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    >>http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    > The relevance of the link you have posted is somewhat dubious.
    >
    > "Copyright (C) 2002 Neil Deakin" tends to give some idea, as does the fact
    > that it is referring to Mozilla 1.2 (currently 1.7.3) rather than Firefox.
    >
    > Also, since XP SP2 has been released, IE6 on those systems does have some
    > additional features, including popup controls.

    He published it so its his copyright.
    Note I did say supposedly since I am aware some items have changed in
    IE, none the less a link is for people to follow and RTFA and make up
    their own mind, each is of course welcome to thier own opinion on it.

    Somehow I feel your comment is redundant, but it is your comment so good
    on you

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Collector»NZ

    # Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:31:20 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > # said the following on 10/11/2004 12:24:
    >> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:12:40 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>

    >>>A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    >>>dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    >>>http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    >> The relevance of the link you have posted is somewhat dubious.
    >>
    >> "Copyright (C) 2002 Neil Deakin" tends to give some idea, as does the fact
    >> that it is referring to Mozilla 1.2 (currently 1.7.3) rather than Firefox.
    >>
    >> Also, since XP SP2 has been released, IE6 on those systems does have some
    >> additional features, including popup controls.

    > He published it so its his copyright.
    > Note I did say supposedly since I am aware some items have changed in
    > IE, none the less a link is for people to follow and RTFA and make up
    > their own mind, each is of course welcome to thier own opinion on it.
    >
    > Somehow I feel your comment is redundant, but it is your comment so good
    > on you

    You posted with a headline that indicated the article would be of specific
    interest regarding Firefox.

    The point is; that in additon to the information being woefully outdated,
    Firefox and Mozilla are substantially different products, even though they
    both use the Gecko engine.

    I don't have any problem with you wishing to show your support for Firefox,
    but *please* at least make sure the facts are relevant.
    #, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Collector»NZ

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    >dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    >http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    Was interested to see, last night while watching BBC news, on the news
    ticker that runs across the bottom of the screen, "Microsoft's popular
    (? sic) browser Internet Explorer has serious competition from
    Firefox".
    GraB, Nov 9, 2004
  6. GraB said the following on 10/11/2004 12:51:
    > On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:12:40 +1300, Collector»NZ
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    >>dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    >>http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    > Was interested to see, last night while watching BBC news, on the news
    > ticker that runs across the bottom of the screen, "Microsoft's popular
    > (? sic) browser Internet Explorer has serious competition from
    > Firefox".

    Yep they have an article online about it as well
    Notice the see also list on the left, tends to drag IE down a little.

    --
    >>Followups may be set to a single group when appropiate!

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 9, 2004
  7. Collector»NZ said the following on 10/11/2004 12:51:
    > GraB said the following on 10/11/2004 12:51:
    >
    >> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:12:40 +1300, Collector»NZ
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    >>> dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    >>> http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    >> Was interested to see, last night while watching BBC news, on the news
    >> ticker that runs across the bottom of the screen, "Microsoft's popular
    >> (? sic) browser Internet Explorer has serious competition from
    >> Firefox".

    > Yep they have an article online about it as well
    > Notice the see also list on the left, tends to drag IE down a little.

    Opps See also list on the right right okay :)

    Collector»NZ, Nov 9, 2004
  8. Collector»NZ

    Allistar Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    > dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    > http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    I still can't believe that IE does not support proper PNG transparency. The
    web would be a prettier place if it did.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 10, 2004
  9. Allistar wrote:
    >>A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    >>dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    >>http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    > I still can't believe that IE does not support proper PNG transparency. The
    > web would be a prettier place if it did.

    I havent seen any good use of it, well, I havent noticed it anyway.

    Could you point some out somewhere where it is actually noticable?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 10, 2004
  10. Collector»NZ

    Matthias Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > I havent seen any good use of it, well, I havent noticed it anyway.
    >
    > Could you point some out somewhere where it is actually noticable?

    http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/pngtrans/

    The point is that no one uses transparent PNG, because most of their
    audience is still using Internet Explorer...

    -- Matthias
    Matthias, Nov 10, 2004
  11. Matthias wrote:
    >> I havent seen any good use of it, well, I havent noticed it anyway.

    >> Could you point some out somewhere where it is actually noticable?

    > http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/pngtrans/

    I see.

    > The point is that no one uses transparent PNG, because most of their
    > audience is still using Internet Explorer...

    wheres the problem then?
    /kidding.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 10, 2004
  12. Collector»NZ

    Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Nov 10, 2004
  13. Collector»NZ

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:24:46 +1300, in message
    <pWekd.705$>, Allistar wrote:

    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    > > A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    > > dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    > > http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    > I still can't believe that IE does not support proper PNG transparency. The
    > web would be a prettier place if it did.

    MS can make XP icons do the equivalent, so why not for PNG images?

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it.
    Ralph Fox, Nov 10, 2004
  14. Collector»NZ

    AD. Guest

    > I havent seen any good use of it, well, I havent noticed it anyway.
    >
    > Could you point some out somewhere where it is actually noticable?

    http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

    The obvious reason web designers would like to be able to use it would be to
    make graphics with smooth edges independant of the page background colour.

    Currently you have to feather the edges into the background colour with your
    graphics software. With transparent PNGs, the background colour doesn't
    matter - it can be changed in the stylesheet only and the graphic still
    smoothes out properly. Makes creating skins and themes much easier, and
    makes alternate stylesheets much more useful.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Nov 10, 2004
  15. Collector»NZ

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Allistar wrote:
    >>> A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    >>> dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    >>> http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    >> I still can't believe that IE does not support proper PNG
    >> transparency. The web would be a prettier place if it did.

    > I havent seen any good use of it, well, I havent noticed it anyway.
    >
    > Could you point some out somewhere where it is actually noticable?

    The navigation buttons on a test layout I was playing with:
    http://www.nrkn.com/nu/

    That's Pt. Chev beach in the background if anyone cares.

    Uses the AlphaImageLoader workaround (http://www.nrkn.com/alpha/) to enable
    png transparency in IE. Works without messy hacks in other modern browsers.

    I use this when I'm working in PHP:
    http://www.koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/
    Nik Coughin, Nov 10, 2004
  16. Collector»NZ

    Stewbaby Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message news:<cSkkd.751$>...
    > > Collector»NZ wrote:
    > > A list of good features in Firefox (and supposedly not in IE) and it
    > > dosnt dwell on vulnerabilities
    > > http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

    > And if you want to just surf the net without all these 'bloatware' add ons?
    > ==> ;-) <==
    >

    > BTW IE6 with SP2 does have some of these 'features...'

    Yes, you are correct... but how long would a full copy of IE6 and SP2
    take for me to download on my 56k connection (assuming I have lumbered
    myself with WinXP)? And how big will the subsequent security patches
    be?

    4.8 mb download for ALL of those features (not just "most"), and each
    full new release is smaller than any IE6 patch.

    I wonder which one I chose?

    Stewbaby
    Stewbaby, Nov 11, 2004
  17. Stewbaby wrote:
    >>BTW IE6 with SP2 does have some of these 'features...'

    > Yes, you are correct... but how long would a full copy of IE6 and SP2
    > take for me to download on my 56k connection (assuming I have lumbered
    > myself with WinXP)? And how big will the subsequent security patches
    > be?

    SP2 full install was ~270MB, not that it was needed in most cases.
    If you had all of the updates prior to SP2 it was ~25MB from memory.
    Im not sure what portions of that were IE6 specific, but I would have to
    think that it would be under 25% of the patch, so 6.xMB maybe?

    > 4.8 mb download for ALL of those features (not just "most"), and each
    > full new release is smaller than any IE6 patch.

    I disagree with that, there have been many (many!) IE patches below 4.8MB
    add them up and they'll be more, but still, I have only seen service
    packs and/or version upgrades over 4.8MB.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 11, 2004
  18. Collector»NZ

    Stewbaby Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Stewbaby wrote:
    > >>BTW IE6 with SP2 does have some of these 'features...'

    > > Yes, you are correct... but how long would a full copy of IE6 and SP2
    > > take for me to download on my 56k connection (assuming I have lumbered
    > > myself with WinXP)? And how big will the subsequent security patches
    > > be?

    > SP2 full install was ~270MB, not that it was needed in most cases.
    > If you had all of the updates prior to SP2 it was ~25MB from memory.
    > Im not sure what portions of that were IE6 specific, but I would have to
    > think that it would be under 25% of the patch, so 6.xMB maybe?
    >
    > > 4.8 mb download for ALL of those features (not just "most"), and each
    > > full new release is smaller than any IE6 patch.

    > I disagree with that, there have been many (many!) IE patches below 4.8MB
    > add them up and they'll be more, but still, I have only seen service
    > packs and/or version upgrades over 4.8MB.

    Of course... I stand corrected... you really put me in my place there,
    and now I am convinced... IE6 Rules and I have been assimilated!

    NOT!!! Firefox is still LEAPS and BOUNDS ahead of IE, and your
    tangential non-arguments are not gonna change that.

    I think I see a better mousetrap...

    Stewbaby
    Stewbaby, Nov 12, 2004
  19. Stewbaby wrote:
    >>I disagree with that, there have been many (many!) IE patches below 4.8MB
    >>add them up and they'll be more, but still, I have only seen service
    >>packs and/or version upgrades over 4.8MB.

    > Of course... I stand corrected... you really put me in my place there,
    > and now I am convinced... IE6 Rules and I have been assimilated!
    > NOT!!! Firefox is still LEAPS and BOUNDS ahead of IE, and your
    > tangential non-arguments are not gonna change that.

    put you in your place?
    I wasnt trying to, just correcting a few things that were wrong.

    I agree with you, I use Moz suite(I prefer to have it intergrated) for
    everything but the work intranet(stupid IE only code they're using).

    and as for (non-)arguments? I wasn't arguing, just commenting, Im not an
    argumentative person, I avoid conflict most times.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 12, 2004
  20. Collector»NZ

    Nina Guest

    Downloaded it Y'day & now DomPost even has a recommendation. I
    installed it in with Mozilla. I find one lack & that is the absence of
    Composer which is a very easy prg and I use it quite often. I'm past
    the age of learning http.
    nof

    Nina, Nov 15, 2004